150 and IFR

I don't totally agree with that. I've been maintaining currency nearly continuously since I got the rating in 1988 equipped /A (Dual NavComms both w/GS, DME, ADF, Mode C transponder plus LORAN for added awareness changed to non approved GPS when they turned off the transmitters on the LORAN. Recently installed an IFR 430W mostly because of recent airspace changes (G to E) on many of my often flown routes that we flew for years with VORs & ADF beyond navaid service volumes in uncontrolled airspace.

Here's the thing, I used to have to deal with that and accept the elevated risks. Now I don't. We are a technically brilliant species that can solve any problem. We just value money more than progress and life.

Jesse, to be fair, some of the worst pilots I've ever had the misfortune to ride with were flying some of the best gear available.
Yes, not a CFII here but OTOH I've rode "shotgun" for a few guys that seemed to think if they just spent enough money on the panel it'd buy 'em the confidence and proficiency they lacked.
I suppose the question is; does having an IFR GPS tend to make one a serious IFR pilot or do serious IFR pilots tend to have IFR GPS's?

Yes, not a CFII here but OTOH I've rode "shotgun" for a few guys that seemed to think if they just spent enough money on the panel it'd buy 'em the confidence and proficiency they lacked.
I suppose the question is; does having an IFR GPS tend to make one a serious IFR pilot or do serious IFR pilots tend to have IFR GPS's?

It doesn't buy you proficiency, what it buys you is fast information in a bind. What SVT does is eliminates the need for anywhere near the same level of instrument interpretation proficiency to remain safe. It comes at the cost of learning to use it correctly though. If you don't fly a lot of IFR, it's a pretty good trade IMO, but you do have to put in the effort to learn the systems. Technology will save your ass if you know how to use it.

Not exactly a new discovery. That's what led the Bonanza to it's "V-tailed doctor killer" description.
Based on my observation of a wide range of pilots, definitely not the former, but the latter is probably generally true (albeit not absolutely so).

Not exactly a new discovery. That's what led the Bonanza to it's "V-tailed doctor killer" description.
Based on my observation of a wide range of pilots, definitely not the former, but the latter is probably generally true (albeit not absolutely so).

Agree, much of it is location specific as well, there are many airports you simply can't even shoot an approach at without an IFR gps. More appearing every day.

Instrument flying without an IFR gps is increasingly more inconvenient around here. So much so, depending on which airport you're based at, it's a requirement.

By no means do I think a GPS is absolutely required for IFR flight nor do I think it can't be done safely without one. The problem is, at least around here, it can be a giant pain in the ass not to have one so those without it tend not to ever use their instrument rating.

Having one doesn't mean you're proficient it just means that it will be more practical to maintain proficiency in my neck of the woods. More practical means more likely you will maintain proficiency.

Back