EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
...unless you are in a twin.

61.87(d) vs 61.87(e)

Why are slips not required in twins?

Does anyone even solo in a twin? Everyone I know who has a ME got the training, took the checkride and got their ME with out soloing.
I know that has nothing to do with what you were asking, but.....

I doubt anyone in real life really goes the student pilot -- solo route in a twin. Perhaps in rare circumstances but I still wonder why no slips. Does it have something to do with the possibility of asymmetrical thrust would greatly increase the chances of lose of control for a inexperienced student pilot?? I don't know and am looking forward to a real answer.

Maybe they forgot.

Maybe they just figured you can get a hella fast descent rate in most twins by cutting the power to idle and dropping the gear/flaps. Lots of drag..Point it way down. Slips really aren't used as often.

You do slip them when you land in a X-wind.

A friend of mine's kid soloed in a Piper Archer, Extra 300, Nanchang CJ-6, Steen Skybolt, and Beech Queen Air on his 16th birthday. He would have soloed their L-39 jet but the FAA said no.

He just recently got his PPL. He did his checkride in the Extra and had 500+ hours total time.

Cool, huh?

A friend of mine's kid soloed in a Piper Archer, Extra 300, Nanchang CJ-6, Steen Skybolt, and Beech Queen Air on his 16th birthday. He would have soloed their L-39 jet but the FAA said no.

He just recently got his PPL. He did his checkride in the Extra and had 500+ hours total time.

Cool, huh?

Sounds like a spoiled kid to me.

Cool, huh?

Maybe they would be interested in adopting me. I don't eat alot and always put the toilet seat down. :D

Spoiled maybe, but lucky as hell! And a good pilot, too.

If I won the lottery, I sure wouldn't turn it down.

Cool, huh?

The L39 requires a type certificate, so I am not surprised they said no.

On occasion, someone with a lot of money and a strong desire to fly more plane than one engine can haul will buy a Baron and learn to fly in it. Usually it's like 50-100 hours to solo, driven as much by the insurer as by proficiency and training requirements.

As for why no slips listed, I don't know for sure, but perhaps it's because there's no real need for a slip to a landing (the big honkin' altitude losing type, not the relatively slight slip used in crosswind landings), since in any twin I know (except maybe the Champion Lancer:
01274192.jpg
), pulling the throttles back to idle with gear/flaps down at normal or even short-field approach speed will, by itself, give you more sink rate than you can possibly stand, no less need, and at that point, slipping to increase that sink rate would be like spitting into the ocean.

My guess (and its solely a guess) is that if you are in an aggressive slip and you lose an engine, wouldn't ya go over on that side (assuming that was the engine that quit)?

I was under the impression that the first step after determining which engine quit on ya was to step on the opposite rudder.

that would probably be true at high power settings, but how often do you slip at full power?

If you lost an engine in a slip, the first things you'd do would be to stomp rudder to stop the yaw, and then roll about 2 degrees into the good engine. That will put you in a zero side-slip condition. In any event, at that point you would not have to worry about losing altitude -- that would take care of itself with the power available reduced by half.

Back