141 guys

Mjg2011

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mjg2011
Can any of you relate to this? At my 141 school, I noticed a huge difference between how I do on stage checks with younger check instructors a few years older than me and big rides (private, instrument, etc.) with chief instructors and DPEs. On the stage checks it feels more like a crew environment and we knock the required testing items out and land. I usually am pretty proud of myself after these, but I guess where it really counts is when you’re doing an actual ride with a chief. With these I feel more like I’m being grilled than operating the aircraft and feel that the aircraft is taking me for a ride. If any of you have any experience similar to this, I would love to hear it to know I’m not the only one or if you could tell me how to get over the nerves of being examined. Thanks POA community.

Just a guess here:

In one scenario you feel like you are with someone that is closer to being your peer and the evaluator knows that someone else will ultimately put their name on your certificate so they are more relaxed.

In the other scenario you know the evaluation is pass fail on your airman record, the evaluator is a crusty old guy/gal and they are putting their name on your certificate so they probably don’t want to remove all the stress of being evaluated.

Just a guess. I don’t really know. Let’s pretend I’m right.

Back