13th Annual North 40 H.O.P.S. Party Invitation

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
This is your official invitation to our annual HOPS Party in the North 40 during Oshkosh Airventure. ("HOPS" stands for "Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, and Student" -- the old rec.aviation Usenet groups that pre-date the modern internet.)

Mary and I are long-term EAAers, and this will be our 33rd consecutive Oshkosh Fly-In! As always, this party will be held at our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area on Wednesday during the week of Airventure. This year, that will be Wednesday, July 22, 2015.

If you're wondering what it's all about, here are some pix from each year's event. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741826.100000777116758&type=1&l=2c184c945a

It's laid back, fun, and allows all of us to put faces with the names we've seen on-line for years. Amelia's Landing Hotel provides the food, while "admission" is a six-pack of good beer from your hometown. Because we're from everywhere, this lets us all sample beers from all over the country. It's great fun!

How does one find this party, you ask, in a sea of aircraft? It's actually easy, with a bit of planning. Simply stop at the EAA booth at the entrance to the North 40, and either give them our name, or our N-number -- N14EG. They will vector you right in to our site.

Just remember that the EAA camping booth closes around 6 PM, so you should obtain the party location earlier in the day. (Someone usually posts it here as well.)

The party starts after the airshow ends -- we usually have a nice crowd watching the arrivals/departures that begin as soon as they reopen the airspace. Bring a chair if you can, as that's usually what runs out first.

If all else fails, look for the blood red RV-8A named "Amelia" in the North 40. It will probably be the only RV-8A out there! We also usually fly an enormously tall Texas flag over our site, so that should help to track us down, too.

Hope to see you there!

Thanks for the invite. This is my off year for OSH.

I don't mean to hijack the topic of the thread, but does anyone have any experience with a particular airport and lodging at this late a date where I might still find a vacancy?

1. I'm not interested in flying into OSH (although I've done it in the past).
2. I'm not interested in camping (anywhere).
3. I don't care if I have to rent a car and drive up to an hour to Airventure.
4. Did I mention I don't want to fly into OSH and I don't want to camp?
smilie.gif

Just looking for a place to start before I begin my search.

Thanks in advance.

I don't mean to hijack the topic of the thread, but does anyone have any experience with a particular airport and lodging at this late a date where I might still find a vacancy?

smilie.gif

Thanks in advance.
Heck, if you don't mind driving, I'm sure you'll find tons of open hotel rooms all over Wisconsin.

I would start with a map of WI, draw a ring around OSH to the furthest distance you want to drive in from, pick a city and start calling.

This exercise seems rather silly, but then you knew I was going to say that. ;)

smilie.gif

Thanks in advance.

UW-OSH still has standard dorm rooms available. They're only a couple of miles away and have parking.

http://gcc.housing.uwosh.edu/guests/eaa/reservations-rates

http://gcc.housing.uwosh.edu/guests/eaa/EAA Sales Brochure 2011.pdf

smilie.gif

Thanks in advance.

If you're really serious about being away from the field, just go up to Green Bay. It's really not that awful of a drive down and it's just enough outside of the "Oshkosh pricing and influence zone" that you should be able to score a decent hotel at a decent price.

We were traveling separately from our wives during the year of Sloshkosh and ended up staying with them up there. I wouldn't be caught dead being off of the field at night ever again now that I know that's more than half of the fun, but if you're determined to miss out on all of that, Green Bay is fine.

Rental cars all over the State do go at a premium no matter when you book and do become scarce closer to show time. Don't wait on booking either the room or the car.

BTW: I just ordered the COVETED "2015 Oshkosh HOPS Party" tee-shirts today.

The first 40 people score FREE shirts, along with FREE food, and a huge selection of beers from virtually everywhere. (And, if Ron & Margy attend, a very small-but-excellent selection of wine!)

Many guys have collected all of the shirts, which is pretty amazing. Hope to see y'all there!

Amusingly I have mine from last year on right now.

BTW:

The first 40 people score FREE shirts

How about listing "the rules"? First? First at the airport that week, first ones there that day? Time? Obviously I really want one and will play the game accordingly.

Many guys have collected all of the shirts

Did'ya hear that Margy? Only GUYS collect the shirts :yes:

Jim

I'm in.

Jay -- what's your favorite kind of beer? IPA, lager, dark malt, etc?

I used to like IPAs now and again especially on hot days, but I'm soured on them because every craft brewery and brewpub arounds thinks that IPA is the end-all to craft brewing and will call anything overhopped an IPA (or some supposedly clever variation on the name).

I've gotten quite into sour beers of late. I've always been a fan of New Belgium's La Folie (when I can get it) and their Le Terroir is not bad. For regionally produced sours there's also the Bruery in San Diego which makes a few interesting ones like Tart of Darkness and Sour in the Rye.

We WILL BE THERE representing Fort Worth. Jay, we stayed with you for our one week vacation last October. Such a GREAT Hotel! Our cousin who also stayed with you numerous times before he bought his own place down there (Reb Stimpson flies a T-34) recommended y'all!! Looks like we will have a 6 pack of Rahr and a 6 pack of Panther Island at the party!!

We WILL BE THERE representing Fort Worth. Jay, we stayed with you for our one week vacation last October. Such a GREAT Hotel! Our cousin who also stayed with you numerous times before he bought his own place down there (Reb Stimpson flies a T-34) recommended y'all!! Looks like we will have a 6 pack of Rahr and a 6 pack of Panther Island at the party!!
AWESOME! :)

Looking forward to seeing y'all there!!! Bring a little beach with y'all huh? lol!

We are ready! :)

The first 40 attendees get a free souvenir shirt, and we will be drawing for a free night at the hotel.

I can't wait!

dfb729ccd726fee6539d223ac0e34315.jpg

I am looking forward to it as well. Might have found my new to me airplane, but I doubt I'll have it by then.

Planning on being there with a six pack of something from Aviator Brewing in Fuquay Varina, NC. They originally started brewing in a hangar at 5W5 until they got too big. You guys thought you had creative uses for your hangar...

Me no fool. Ugliest airplane I've ever seen (at least in the pictures) but cheap and functional. If i actually spring for the thing I'll post up photos. Good for weight control.

Does that mean you'll be parting with the Freebird?

John

Me no fool. Ugliest airplane I've ever seen (at least in the pictures) but cheap and functional. If i actually spring for the thing I'll post up photos. Good for weight control.
Ugly as in paint? Interior?

I thought we had you convinced to go experimental!?

Ugly as in paint? Interior?

I thought we had you convinced to go experimental!?

Mrs. Steingar doesn't like the canopies, so no experimental for Steingar. Maybe a taildragger RV3 some day in the future. What Steingar wants is a faster travel machine.

Mrs. Steingar doesn't like the canopies, so no experimental for Steingar. Maybe a taildragger RV3 some day in the future. What Steingar wants is a faster travel machine.
???

Put a caterpillar on the canopy (for shade), and it's just like a roof.

And on a clear day, fly up high, roll the caterpillar back, and stare up at the heavens...

Back