$135K -- What a bargain!

It's becoming more clear why the rascal is so low on price.

Is it a matter of it being under-powered for decent use or what? I get the impression the power loading is pretty bad.
385hp per side, I wouldn't consider that underpowered.

The conversion to turboprops that was in AOPA or Flying a couple of months ago looked really nifty. On the other hand, then your turning you 135K plane into a 250K+ plane, so . . .

Problem is that to get that $250k airplane costs $1.2mil by the time all is said and done...:D

No, actually, they are half TBO, for the TIO-541s, they are at normal lifes end. When it comes time to do them and the props, you're looking at a quarter of a million dollars.
That's what I was thinking, just in the wrong terms. "Half of useful life before overhaul" though that's obviously the wrong way to say it.

The power appears there but if it can't get off the ground very soon with that much on each side, it must be less than what would seem more appropriate based on other statements.

No matter how you slice it, this bird won't be cheap to operate or upgrade.

Why did people buy them to begin with? 125fpm on one? Yikes.
At 4000' P/Alt at gross??? Heck, that's good! You won't see that out of a 340 or a 421. You might get it out of a fully modified Aerostar. I like the Duke, but would prefer an Aerostar.

The conversion to turboprops that was in AOPA or Flying a couple of months ago looked really nifty. On the other hand, then your turning you 135K plane into a 250K+ plane, so . . .

The twin I've always wanted was one of the 5xx series Aero Commanders. I flew in one once (in the right seat, it was a charter) before I got my PPL and fell in love with it.

~ Christopher

You're off by a smidge. Two new PT6As will set you back about 600K.

Ok... so to be more accurate, you invest 600k and wind up with a $300k airplane.

Back