135 pilots with an A&P

austinglasair

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rail
Okay I looked extensively through the forums for a possible answer on this. No dice Chicago.

Is an appropriately rated pilot (less type rating) candidate more marketable to a 135 operator if they have an A&P certificate. Yes, that sounds like it would be an easy question to answer but I'd really like more details. After retirement from military flying I want to know if it's smart to market myself with my aviation experience, ratings, and my A&P ticket. Do 135 pilots with A&P certs get paid more? Do they get abused by management (i.e. I'm paying you extra for your A&P so why don't you help obtain oil samples on all the aircraft this weekend versus flying). Thanks in advance!

I think it depends on the situation. If you're in Alaska where you might need to fix your plane yourself way out in the boonies, they might want to see that. If you're flying Barons around the northeast USA to big airports with on-field maintenance everywhere you go, they probably don't care.

That's really the only scenario I keep thinking about Ron. (Alaska). If anything I'll always have my A&P to fall back on after I retire from the Army and possibly lose my medical for some weird reason. There was a senior 767 check airman who was forced to retire because of his medical (diabetes) and fell back on his A&P. Met him years ago when stationed overseas. Super friendly, and encouraging guy. I hope he's still there when I go back in October. He loved flying, and misses parts of his old job but admitted that he absolutely loves what he does now and wouldn't trade it back for his old job of flying heavy iron. Crazy.

I had a mechanic once,who gave up the flying. The boss thought he should work on the aircraft when away or not flying. Said it got old real quick.

Yeah my old A&P flew DC-9s for Delta. He told me he preferred to work on aircraft than fly. I guess it's more of a hands on thing seeing the results of your work.

It depends on who you work for, I have an old high school buddy that was an IA and he flew for a G-II oe G-III for a preacher. I think it helped him get the job as he could be as easily snowed by the shops when it was time for mantenance. I don't think he spent much time wrenching on the airplane, but he didn't fly with them long. I think he had trouble sleeping. ;)

Back