13" Mac Book Pro Overheats and shuts down

drizzt76

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Scott M.
When I came home from work I found my MBP hot and would not turn on. I unplugged the charger and set it in a cool place (it was sitting on a hardcover book). I checked the warranty and I'm out of date by a couple weeks....so I thought what the hay and grabbed my 00 screwdriver and removed the back. The fan was running and I unplugged the battery and waited for 10 min and plugged it back in and it fired up. Anyone heard of this? Suggestions are welcome...if it happens again I will not be happy. BTW I'm going to back this thing up now. Thanks!

Should have bought a Mac.....

When I came home from work I found my MBP hot and would not turn on. I unplugged the charger and set it in a cool place (it was sitting on a hardcover book). I checked the warranty and I'm out of date by a couple weeks....so I thought what the hay and grabbed my 00 screwdriver and removed the back. The fan was running and I unplugged the battery and waited for 10 min and plugged it back in and it fired up. Anyone heard of this? Suggestions are welcome...if it happens again I will not be happy. BTW I'm going to back this thing up now. Thanks!

What model MBP?

Sometimes I notice my laptop fan will run when a runaway process tries to gooble up all the CPU.

Have you searched the apple site for notes of this? Have you run software update to check if there is a firmware fix for the fan?

Do you use Time Machine backups? Do you leave "Wake for Network Access" on? (Macs wake up periodically even in sleep mode if that checkbox is active.) Were all applications shut down before sleep or was something left running that could have gotten into a loop and consumed 100% of the CPU?

Lots of possibilities besides those also. I sleep my MBP frequently here at home, but when I want it truly OFF, all the way off... like when I'm shuttling to a new location and it's in a backpack... I shut it down.

I've never turned my Macbook Pro off and I've had it for probably nearly 3 years now. Use it all day every day. The only time it gets shut completely down is if I forget to charge it and the battery runs dead.

I used to do that until the mag-lock popped open in a backpack one day in the summer.

I'm amazed the machine didn't damage itself with how hot it got in the bag. I had way too much stuff in there and something wedged itself between screen and body, holding the machine "open" just enough to power it up.

I know it's built to shut itself down at a truly dangerous temperature, but electronics don't like heat and the machine was uncomfortable to grab that day. Had to pull it out and set it down immediately to cool down.

So I just shut down. They boot so fast it's not a problem.

They'll boot a little slower if the FileVault encryption is activated for whole disk encryption. That's about the only time I feel they're "slow" to boot, and it makes sense.

They'll boot a little slower if the FileVault encryption is activated for whole disk encryption. That's about the only time I feel they're "slow" to boot, and it makes sense.

FileVault is on for my disk - but it still boots pretty fast. My SSD drive helps w/ that.

FileVault is on for my disk - but it still boots pretty fast. My SSD drive helps w/ that.

Jealous. I went with a spinning platter for size. I think it's 750GB.

I really should slap an aftermarket SSD in mine but the big ones are still pretty spendy. I need 500 GB minimum in that machine, would prefer a TB. Too many VM images and I'm a packrat. No desktop machine at home to offload the junk to right now. It's the "do everything" machine.

The cheap SSDs all seem to have performance issues over time, reading over all the info I can on 'em.

There's a company with some nice metalwork that replaces the optical drive with a bracket for a second internal hard disk.

Have thought about doing that and having a fast SSD for the system drive and a slow but huge and cheap secondary drive for archival storage. Use a "green" drive and let it sleep on its own when not in use, to save battery.

Then move the lightly used optical drive to an external USB/whatever enclosure.

Jealous. I went with a spinning platter for size. I think it's 750GB.

I really should slap an aftermarket SSD in mine but the big ones are still pretty spendy. I need 500 GB minimum in that machine, would prefer a TB. Too many VM images and I'm a packrat. No desktop machine at home to offload the junk to right now. It's the "do everything" machine.

The cheap SSDs all seem to have performance issues over time, reading over all the info I can on 'em.

There's a company with some nice metalwork that replaces the optical drive with a bracket for a second internal hard disk.

Have thought about doing that and having a fast SSD for the system drive and a slow but huge and cheap secondary drive for archival storage. Use a "green" drive and let it sleep on its own when not in use, to save battery.

Then move the lightly used optical drive to an external USB/whatever enclosure.

The two drive thing works pretty well. I don't have a need to store too much on mine so I don't bother with another drive. I kind of like not having some thing spinning inside the computer.

Mine is a 250 GB OCZ Vertex 3

I have a 8,1. I don't remember what I was doing before I put it to sleep. I hardly ever shut it down (I don't even remember the last time I did.) I don't use my personal computer much...usually only at night looking at airplanes and of course Facebook. I see if it happens again and the conditions it took place. I believe it was a CPU drain loop thing.

Back