12th of 56, S42

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
Springer Municipal Airport (S42)

There have been a few airports in which I asked what the point of the airport was. For the most part, there is an arguable reason for the airports to be there, usually because it serves a nearby city (which probably has like 3 pilots). This is another one.

The city of Springer is located about 1 mile north of the airport, along I-25. The main purpose of the city of Springer?

Prison.

The New Mexico Boys' School is a prison for delinquent youths in New Mexico. There has been talk about converting it to an adult prison, but the last I had heard, it had not changed yet. The city of Springer is pretty much just for people who work at the prison, as that is where they live.

The Mt. Dora West High and Low Military Operations Areas exist to the east of Springer, and they are very large. If these areas are hot, I would strongly suggest avoiding flight through them. We have some pretty nasty training stuff going on out here in New Mexico. Very fast planes, at very low altitudes and very short-sighted pilots. (If a pilot actually exists...lots of UAV stuff also).

There really isn't a lot to say about this airport. There are no services available, and no taxiways, and certainly no fuel. There is one hangar on field, but the roof has collapsed and there is no sign of any usage for a very long time. The runway is in excellent condition, but there is a very large dip to it. While I've never landed at Telluride in Colorado, but this is very similar (except no exciting cliffs at either end of the runway).

By the way - I have a video of this, but for some reason I left the camera zoomed all the way in. The video didn't come out well, so instead I just included a still shot of the dip in the runway.

SPRINGER MUNICIPAL QUICK FACTS:
Airport Elevation: 5891 Ft
Runways 1/19: 5000'x60ft, Asphalt in Great Condition
CTAF: 122.9
Nick's NOTAMS: Big ol' Dip. No fuel or Services.

PHOTOS:
1) After Landing, runway 1

Attachments

• approach.jpg
    approach.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 40
Back