12th Annual N40 H.O.P.S. Party, Wed, 7/30/14

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
This is your official invitation to our annual HOPS Party in the North 40 during Oshkosh Airventure. ("HOPS" stands for "Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, and Student" -- the old rec.aviation Usenet groups that pre-date the modern internet.)

Mary and I are long-term EAAers, and this will be our 32nd consecutive Oshkosh Fly-In! As always, this party will be held at our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area on Wednesday during the week of Airventure. This year, that will be Wednesday, July 30, 2013.

If you're wondering what it's all about, here are some pix from each year's event. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741826.100000777116758&type=1&l=2c184c945a

It's laid back, fun, and allows all of us to put faces with the names we've seen on-line for years. Amelia's Landing Hotel provides the food, while "admission" is a six-pack of good beer from your hometown. Because we're from everywhere, this lets us all sample beers from all over the country. It's great fun!

How does one find this party, you ask, in a sea of aircraft? It's actually easy, with a bit of planning. Simply stop at the EAA booth at the entrance to the North 40, and either give them our name, or our N-number -- N14EG. They will vector you right in to our site.

Just remember that the EAA camping booth closes around 6 PM, so you should obtain the party location earlier in the day. (Someone usually posts it as well.)

The party starts after the airshow ends -- we usually have a nice crowd watching the arrivals/departures that begin as soon as they reopen the airspace. Bring a chair if you can, as that's usually what runs out first.

If all else fails, look for the blood red RV-8A named "Amelia" in the North 40. It will probably be the only RV-8A out there! We also usually fly an enormously tall Texas flag over our site, so that should help to track us down, too.

Hope to see you there!

Jay, I think its pretty cool how me tracking you down in 2002 via camps registration might have been a contributing factor to the start of the HOPS party.. too bad I've not made it back since...

Jay, I think its pretty cool how me tracking you down in 2002 via camps registration might have been a contributing factor to the start of the HOPS party.. too bad I've not made it back since...

??? Sorry, Doggtyred, I must have blown that brain cell out at OSH 12. What happened at OSH 02?

I plan on attending and bringing a mystery guest. Might bring something for the hotel if payload allows.

So are non-drinkers non-invited, I can bring a pretty good root beer if there's a call for it.

OK, with iPhone being the dominant player and with FaceTime available for free, could we PLEASE work out a sked so that Cyndi and I could at least say "hi" to the lot of ye'se?

After all, the HOPS party is the successor to the wildly popular Wrong Brothers Air Force annual bash over in UW-Nothing since 1973, ending about 15 years ago.

Colonel Jim, WBAF

Please do!! They are wonderful after a couple of hours on the spit, and served with a tasty barbecue sauce.

:yes:

Jim

Barbecue sauce!?! Heathen, you make a nice demiglaze reduction from their drippings with Cabernet Sauvignon, or Fume Blanc if you can find one. If you use BBQ sauce you lose the delicate flavor of their innocence, might as well just have pork chops.

Thanks for the invite. I was able to swing by a few years ago, it was a highlight. I need to pitch a tent and not fly in & out all the time.

Barbecue sauce!?! Heathen, you make a nice demiglaze reduction from their drippings with Cabernet Sauvignon, or Fume Blanc if you can find one. If you use BBQ sauce you lose the delicate flavor of their innocence, might as well just have pork chops.

Bring that Frenchy stuff over here buddy, and we gon' run yo ass right outa town. We gon' have kiddy ribs 'n' grits washed down with LONE STAR. Don't you be comin' round here with that demmyglass stuff.

Jim

Last edited:
OK, with iPhone being the dominant player and with FaceTime available for free, could we PLEASE work out a sked so that Cyndi and I could at least say "hi" to the lot of ye'se?

After all, the HOPS party is the successor to the wildly popular Wrong Brothers Air Force annual bash over in UW-Nothing since 1973, ending about 15 years ago.

Colonel Jim, WBAF
Apple iThingies suck. But whatever -- we will have to convince one of the Allison boys from your native Kaleefornication (they are BOTH coming this year -- Jack in the Arrow, and Steve in his finally completed RV-6!) to set something up.

Okay, we're bumping this invitation up to the top, because I just ordered the COVETED "HOPS PARTY 2014" T-shirts.

As always, these shirts will be given out, free, to the first 40 attendees, courtesy of Amelia's Landing Hotel.

This is always a popular feature of the HOPS Party, since by Wednesday almost everyone is running out of clean clothes! lol

Remember: Admission is a 6-pack of good beer from your home state! Bonus points are awarded if you can't see through it! (The beer, not your home state...) Food will be provided, and everyone will have a chance to match up faces with names because we all wear NAME TAGs! :)

This is your official invitation to our annual HOPS Party in the North 40 during Oshkosh Airventure. ("HOPS" stands for "Homebuilt, Owning, Piloting, and Student" -- the old rec.aviation Usenet groups that pre-date the modern internet.)

Mary and I are long-term EAAers, and this will be our 32nd consecutive Oshkosh Fly-In! As always, this party will be held at our campsite in the North 40 aircraft camping area on Wednesday during the week of Airventure. This year, that will be Wednesday, July 30, 2013.

If you're wondering what it's all about, here are some pix from each year's event. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/...073741826.100000777116758&type=1&l=2c184c945a

It's laid back, fun, and allows all of us to put faces with the names we've seen on-line for years. Amelia's Landing Hotel provides the food, while "admission" is a six-pack of good beer from your hometown. Because we're from everywhere, this lets us all sample beers from all over the country. It's great fun!

How does one find this party, you ask, in a sea of aircraft? It's actually easy, with a bit of planning. Simply stop at the EAA booth at the entrance to the North 40, and either give them our name, or our N-number -- N14EG. They will vector you right in to our site.

Just remember that the EAA camping booth closes around 6 PM, so you should obtain the party location earlier in the day. (Someone usually posts it as well.)

The party starts after the airshow ends -- we usually have a nice crowd watching the arrivals/departures that begin as soon as they reopen the airspace. Bring a chair if you can, as that's usually what runs out first.

If all else fails, look for the blood red RV-8A named "Amelia" in the North 40. It will probably be the only RV-8A out there! We also usually fly an enormously tall Texas flag over our site, so that should help to track us down, too.

Hope to see you there!

Yeah, you hosted the best aviation video site back in those days.

My favorite T-shirts! We'll have to bring a local beer though, we'll be out of payload. Cherokee can only haul so much.

Apple iThingies suck. But whatever -- we will have to convince one of the Allison boys from your native Kaleefornication (they are BOTH coming this year -- Jack in the Arrow, and Steve in his finally completed RV-6!) to set something up.

Naaah. I got rid of my applesomething. Tell the Allison boys to rev up their Skype machine(s) and it will all be good. If you talk at them, tell them to get ahold of me so we can test the link before they leave God's Country for the forsaken hinterlands.

Jim

Okay, we're bumping this invitation up to the top, because I just ordered the COVETED "HOPS PARTY 2014" T-shirts.

As always, these shirts will be given out, free, to the first 40 attendees, courtesy of Amelia's Landing Hotel.

This is always a popular feature of the HOPS Party, since by Wednesday almost everyone is running out of clean clothes! lol

Remember: Admission is a 6-pack of good beer from your home state! Bonus points are awarded if you can't see through it! (The beer, not your home state...) Food will be provided, and everyone will have a chance to match up faces with names because we all wear NAME TAGs! :)

I'll be there, and bringing along my good friend, coworker and fellow aviator Terry (his first trip to OSH!).

When does said event kick off, typically? Your first post doesn't say when to arrive. EDIT: Yes it does, I was looking for a TIME and missed this: "The party starts after the airshow ends -- we usually have a nice crowd watching the arrivals/departures that begin as soon as they reopen the airspace. Bring a chair if you can, as that's usually what runs out first."

Last edited:
The HOPS party starts after the end of the daytime airshow... which is perfect so we can get adequately liquored up by the time the night air show begins :cheerswine:

The HOPS party starts after the end of the daytime airshow... which is perfect so we can get adequately liquored up by the time the night air show begins :cheerswine:

Watching arrivals...

Mostly ignore airshow...

Hide from inevitable thunderstorm...

Hike to restroom...

Activate bilge pump...

Walk over to Jay's shindig...

Have fun...

Stumble back toward flight line...

Restroom again...

Ooooh, pretty lights! Do you see the pretty lights?

Stumble to Scholler...

Fall in bed.

Sounds like Wednesday will be awesome!!! ;) ;) ;)

Heh heh.

Watching arrivals...

Mostly ignore airshow...

Hide from inevitable thunderstorm...

Hike to restroom...

Activate bilge pump...

Walk over to Jay's shindig...

Have fun...

Stumble back toward flight line...

Restroom again...

Ooooh, pretty lights! Do you see the pretty lights?

Stumble to Scholler...

Fall in bed.

Sounds like Wednesday will be awesome!!! ;) ;) ;)

Heh heh.
Sounds a lot like Tuesday night at Grant's party in Camp Scholler, just in reverse! :)

(This year I won't have Mary and Becca to guide me home from that little shindig -- they are driving down to Racine, our hometown, that night for some girly family thing. So no tequila for Jay, right Dr. Steingar??)

Oh, and Monday is the big RVers get together. Ugh. My liver hurts already! lol!

(This year I won't have Mary and Becca to guide me home from that little shindig -- they are driving down to Racine, our hometown, that night for some girly family thing. So no tequila for Jay, right Dr. Steingar??)

Don't point fingers at me, I was cooking chili. Besides, you're the one always going on about personal responsibility and how folks should be accountable for their own actions.

Don't point fingers at me, I was cooking chili. Besides, you're the one always going on about personal responsibility and how folks should be accountable for their own actions.
Oh, I was. Painfully! lol!

Oh, I was. Painfully! lol!

Just to be clear, I don't recall seeing any pain at all on your part. There might have been some the next day, but I was too busy packing up to leave to see it. Since I didn't witness it and there are no pictures, it must not have happened.

Just to be clear, I don't recall seeing any pain at all on your part. There might have been some the next day, but I was too busy packing up to leave to see it. Since I didn't witness it and there are no pictures, it must not have happened.
If praying for a death that would not come counts as "pain", I had it...in spades. lol

If praying for a death that would not come counts as "pain", I had it...in spades. lol

No pics, it didn't happen. By the way, I had to fly back in the heat at low altitude with a good sized hangover myself. My buddy's suffering was far worse, since he was in far, far worse shape. I'm flying tonight, by the way.

Seems like we need to find someone in the medical profession and have them bring some IV bags with them. That's the best cure for a hangover I've ever had.

Hey Jay, I'll try to make it. Can anyone spare some room under a wing? I'll be "flying" the BMW (cycle) up again this year.

Hey Jay, I'll try to make it. Can anyone spare some room under a wing? I'll be "flying" the BMW (cycle) up again this year.

If you can't find a spot under a wing in the North 40, let me know. We have room in Scholler.

Um, I think there will be room at one of our sites (we've got five aircraft this year) but I'm already maxed out at mine, with three tents. (Two more than authorized! :lol: )

Back