128.7 near CVH

arnoha

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
arnoha
So...was looking at my local sectional and noted a bold 128.7 tucked in beside KCVH. What the heck is this random frequency? It's nowhere in the AF/D for CVH. I can't find anything about this in legend. If it's labeled, I can't find it.

EDIT: Further searching seems to indicate that frequency is Oakland Center out of the ROM VOR. Which makes no sense. The VOR is 60 nm to the SE, which is too far for it to be the right frequency in the area, but too close for it to be shared with something else. And CVH is covered by NorCal Approach anyway.

So...I still don't get it.

Last edited:
Doesn't follow any of th standard charting that I know of. Maybe a typo?

A frequency used by the parachute jumpers drop zone. Had to dig through the Aeronautical Chart Users Guide to find it. (page 41)

Edit to ask the OP: Is CVH a really busy drop zone? We have parachute activity at my airport (5T6) on weekends but they use the CTAF. I'm guessing that really busy drop zones maybe have their own frequency.

Last edited:
That's lame.... Should be on CTAF and center frequencies. Who the eff is gonna monitor a jump frequency? Im not.

A frequency used by the parachute jumpers drop zone. Had to dig through the Aeronautical Chart Users Guide to find it. (page 41)

Edit to ask the OP: Is CVH a really busy drop zone? We have parachute activity at my airport (5T6) on weekends but they use the CTAF. I'm guessing that really busy drop zones maybe have their own frequency.

Moderately busy, but no more than a couple others in the area that are also busy. Occurs to me that they do jumps up to 18,000, which may explain why the Center frequency. At that altitude, 60nm is a fine distance.

Got my answer. Thank you. Still weird. Wonder how many others there are?

They are required to talk to ATC. I fly through a number of jump zones on my commute. I monitor the appropriate center/approach frequency (and sometimes will ask if the meatbombs are falling on a given day).

Amusing that they list ZOA rather than NORCAL.

They are required to talk to ATC. I fly through a number of jump zones on my commute. I monitor the appropriate center/approach frequency (and sometimes will ask if the meatbombs are falling on a given day).

Amusing that they list ZOA rather than NORCAL.

Yes, I've noted that. There is almost always an announcement on the CTAF and also on the local ATC frequency.

Dang...I just went to a seminar on NORCAL yesterday at RHV. I should have asked the controllers about this.

I guess it's listed because it's not the expected NORCAL freq?

Yes, I've noted that. There is almost always an announcement on the CTAF and also on the local ATC frequency.

Dang...I just went to a seminar on NORCAL yesterday at RHV. I should have asked the controllers about this.

I guess it's listed because it's not the expected NORCAL freq?

Jumps are too high for NorCal. NorCal seems to top out at 10,000.

Hollister isn't that busy, though I see that have a PAC 750 now.

http://www.dropzone.com/dropzone/Detailed/91.shtml

One thing with that DZ is the landing zone is a good distance away from the airport, and not somewhere easily identifable, enough so that hey have a couple short busses and a limo to pickup jumpers and drive them back to the DZ.

Last I heard normal ops was a call on CTAF and another with San Fran, I think they would send the busses out right when the load took off so they would get to the landing zone in time, or they would have the two busses on rotation, it's been a while though.

Got a some very interesting characters there too :D

They've had the PAC for two or three years. The drop zone is at Bolado Park on Hwy. 25. 25 is a great motorcycle road, by the way, especially once you get south of Bolado Park.

Jumps are too high for NorCal. NorCal seems to top out at 10,000.

That's what I thought, too, but number claimed at the seminar was that NorCal had everything lower than Alpha. The LoA may work differently that far south.

The local fields use approach even when jumping from 14,500. I suspect that even if PCT tops out at 12000 (the top is irregular between 10-12 depending on the sector and which overlying center there is), there's some agreement in place.

Back