123.4 and 123.45 (Finger & Fingers)

Secure or not shouldn't matter. It's from the in-browser app, so I'm guessing it's just an HTTPS endpoint. That means it looks the same whether the browser is feeding the server or the app is, unless they've done something clever. Which I doubt. Still seems like less work than getting Java 6 running!

Actually, seriously, you have the link to the jar?

No, the main licensing app pops a window when you’ve given enough information to determine that it’s a specific type of license. You can follow the link in the PDF I linked above if you’re intent on trying to hack it.

The application is multi-tabbed and does a bunch of error correction and stores each tab’s data on the server as well as does a legality check of all the form data at either a page save or a tab change. If you bomb out of it, all the data is stored on the server.

Knowing what all the checks it does are for each license type before it stuffs data into their server would be important or they’d just kick the whole mess back at you with a paper letter probably two months later.

No, the main licensing app pops a window when you’ve given enough information to determine that it’s a specific type of license. You can follow the link in the PDF I linked above if you’re intent on trying to hack it.

The application is multi-tabbed and does a bunch of error correction and stores each tab’s data on the server as well as does a legality check of all the form data at either a page save or a tab change. If you bomb out of it, all the data is stored on the server.

Knowing what all the checks it does are for each license type before it stuffs data into their server would be important or they’d just kick the whole mess back at you with a paper letter probably two months later.

Yeah, that's why I'd start with a decompile of the JAR and see what it does. Doubt it would be too challenging to convert to HTML5. Though...that's probably mostly talk. I have no reason to get a license and I doubt there's much money in it.

Around Central Texas, it seems like ultralights use 123.45 and it's been that way for as long as I can remember.

I think sometimes common sense overrides law. For example, I use 122.85 for air-to-air photography missions. I don't need anyone on 122.75 interrupting when I'm giving direction a plane flying very close to me. 122.75 is Fixed Wing Air-to-Air, 122.85 is Multicom Aviation Support Not sure if I'm that far out of line, but I feel a lot safer!

You decide to use an unauthroized frequency because you won't tolerate an interruption but you think it's fine for people to use other operational frequencies for idle-chit-chat and interrupt those there?

Mutlicom is NOT a random chatter frequency. It's tantamount to jabbering on someone's CTAF (which it likely is).

Yes, you are way out of line and FAR from safe.

You decide to use an unauthroized frequency because you won't tolerate an interruption but you think it's fine for people to use other operational frequencies for idle-chit-chat and interrupt those there?

Mutlicom is NOT a random chatter frequency. It's tantamount to jabbering on someone's CTAF (which it likely is).

Yes, you are way out of line and FAR from safe.
LOL, OK. I've never once heard anyone else on this frequency, so I doubt I'm interrupting anyone. I know it is used elsewhere, but in my area, no airport uses it. Even if I interrupted someone, I'm pretty sure it's not being unsafe since we all get interrupted on unicom on a frequent basis. Radio frequencies around here are over used. In my case, airplanes are very close to me and a stepped on communication could be bad.

For dramatic purposes though, I like that you threw in I'm "way out of line" and "FAR from safe." Nice work. I'm not sure how using an unused frequency makes me unsafe.

Last edited:
Jim

You don't need to use the aviation bands for the data and I'm sure you are well aware of that. If it's so important, your company must have their own frequency allocation. All your arguments remind me of a dog biting at a stream of water from a hose. Funny to watch, but the dog really doesn't like that damn water.

Over 40 years ago (1974), I went down to the FCC field office in San Diego (which as I understand it was shut down in 2016 or thereabouts) and had a very long talk with their staff about what I was wanting to do for antenna pattern testing and all the rest of it and we came to the conclusion that the half-dozen frequencies allocated for manufacturing test stations were the correct way to go. I didn't ASK for .4 and .45 but those were the two that were issued to me from Great White Father in Laurel.

In that long span of time I've got a lot of equipment and programming set up and you want me to change all my work so some person NOT licensed on those two frequencies can chatter? What the hell are you thinking of?

I only do four or five tests a year and try to do them in the middle of the week when there isn't any competition. However, getting to the end of a two hour airborne test and blowing the data due to interference doesn't seem hardly right, does it?

I'm hardly biting at a stream of data, now, am I?

Jim

Everyone in my practice area uses 123.45. No one uses 122.75. The rules are the rules, but I have to broadcast and listen where everyone is listening and talking. I would like it if all the flight schools got together and agreed on 122.75, but that ship has already sailed a long time ago.

Everyone in my practice area uses 123.45. No one uses 122.75. The rules are the rules, but I have to broadcast and listen where everyone is listening and talking. I would like it if all the flight schools got together and agreed on 122.75, but that ship has already sailed a long time ago.
Sad when flight schools don't follow the rules.

Just make up some paper zaps that say “123.45 is not a legal air to air frequency.” and scatter them in and around said flight schools when nobody is looking. Bonus points if you can drop them into their aircraft. Ha.

So nothing has changed in the last quarter century.

Back