12/12/2007 - the Conveyor Belt myth will be busted

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
9:00pm (unknown timezone) - We'll finally get to see an airplane successfully take off from a treadmill, turning in the opposite direction. From the description:

MythBusters
Air Plane Hour
TV-PG

Jamie and Adam take wing to test if a person with no flight training can safely land a 747 and if a plane can take off from a conveyor belt speeding in the opposite direction. Tory, Grant, and Kari jump on some Hollywood-inspired skydiving myths.

I have it set to record. I guess that after this show we won't have anything left to talk about.:rolleyes:

I have it set to record. I guess that after this show we won't have anything left to talk about.:rolleyes:

Oh, no, you really don't understand how this works.

After the episode, we will have a long discussion here about things they might have done wrong, how they might have made mistakes in the assumptions and/or setup, and why their experiment might have reached an incorrect conclusion. :yes:

This is only the beginning, it's only just the start.

Consider the mythbusters episode as fodder.

She's kinda pasty for my tastes. Plus she a veggie. Minus 3000 points!

Wait wait wait... I've missed a few episodes. When was Kari in a bikini?!?!??!!?!
It was the movie myth episode. The put Kari in a silver bikini and then painted her head to toe with silver paint, just like was used on Buddy Epson when he was the tin man in the Wizard of Oz. If you will remember he had to be rushed to a hospital because he got so sick from the make up. The needed up redoing the costume and replacing him with Jack Haley.

I'm a little disturbed by the picture of her holding the skewered pickle. Otherwise, I concur with the assesment that she is indeed a hottie.

And yeah, she's not a true geek,
Well she has the shirt!
U]

Much like the Warren Commission Report, I look forward to this episode of Mythbusters to finally set the record straight, and end this debate once and for all!
-harry

Wanna bet? They always have a standard few hundred snipes about some aspect or other they got wrong. They have no idea what they're in for.

The key problem is with the assumptions of the problem.

Here we go......Is the idea that the wheels spin freely or somehow are able to prevent relative progress (from an outside frame of reference)?

Of course the problem was intended to be the first option, but that won't stop the foggy-brained from blathering on forever.

*REMINDER* This episode airs tomorrow night. Those of you that believe that the airplane will remain on the ground need to tune in. :D:D:D

*REMINDER* This episode airs tomorrow night. Those of you that believe that the airplane will remain on the ground need to tune in. :D:D:D

COuntdown to new thread.... 5.... 4.....

From the previews, Torey is doing a skydive and Jamie lands the 747 in a simulator (looks like MS Flight Sim). The plane they show is a Pilatus. That may be the skydive plane.

The one guy stated exactly what I've been saying all along. There's no air over the wings so it ain't gonna go no where! If it did, we could abandon the concept of airspeed.

Exactly what force is going to overcome the thrust of the propeller at full takeoff thrust?

The pilot is a moron.

This is gonna be super sweet.

In order to have lift, you need air over the wing. In order to get air over the wing, you need movement forward through the air.

A conveyor can move aft as fast as it wants and as long as the propeller is not overcoming that aft movement, it's not going to advance along with the wings through the air.

Nothing is moving the plane aft. The propeller is moving the plane forward.

Last edited:
A conveyor can move aft as fast as it wants and as long as the propeller is not overcoming that aft movement, it's not going to advance along with the wings through the air.

Let us agree that the whole point is to at least TRY to take off. If we accept that premise, there is NO WAY the airplane WON"T take off. There is not enough friction in the wheel bearings and between the wheels and conveyor belt to over come the thrust of the propeller at takeoff power.

FWIW - the small scale will not work, because the conveyor belt is not long enough. The plane will simply drive off the front end of it.

Okay, let's take the discussion of the myth itself over to the appropriate thread. (Yeah, like that's going to happen!:no::rolleyes:)

This one is intended to be about the Mythbuster's episode! Kenny, I blame you! :yes::rofl:

Okay, let's take the discussion of the myth itself over to the appropriate thread. (Yeah, like that's going to happen!:no::rolleyes:)

This one is intended to be about the Mythbuster's episode! Kenny, I blame you! :yes::rofl:

But isn't this a corollary? :D Therefore at least a little relevant to THIS thread?:rofl:

Back