11th Annual HOPS Party -- July 31, 2013

Pool Party Saturday afternoon in IOW??

Jim

Uh, Jim -- we sold that place in Iowa City 2+ years ago.

Where the pool was is now a nice, grassy field. The new owners filled our beautiful pool in with dirt!

:mad2: :mad: :no: :nonod: :sigh:

Jay ...

Right now it is a tossup -- fly or drive. Fly camping, no problem. Drive camping ... what is the protocol to find somebody in the N40 who will let you camp under their wing if you pay the camper fee and promise not to touch their airplane?

We anticipate arriving mid-day Sunday and departing Thursday very early.

Jim & Cyndi

Don't tell EAA, but you can pitch your tent next to one of our planes.

We will probably already be full-up, but Eric Rood's site (the red-striped 182) should have ample room. We usually manage to camp close to one another.

yea, Leah and I camped under Kent's wing one year

How much room is there at a camp site (fly in)?

I'm coming with my daughter and a friend, so we will likely have two tents. Will we have enough room?

Also, what should I purchase ahead of time? Just admission tickets, correct? I don't need to pay for camping ahead of time?

Thanks,

-Dan

How much room is there at a camp site (fly in)?

I'm coming with my daughter and a friend, so we will likely have two tents. Will we have enough room?

Also, what should I purchase ahead of time? Just admission tickets, correct? I don't need to pay for camping ahead of time?

Thanks,

-Dan

Well, now, let's make clear to all that you can't just camp next to any plane you find in the North 40. Technically, the rule is "one tent per plane" -- but the EAA has been lenient with enforcement.

In your case, there are some variables in play.

1. High wing or low wing? High wing has a space advantage, if your tent is short enough to fit under the wing. We pitch an 8-man tent with "stand up" room, so it wouldn't fit under any high wing short of a Caravan.

2. Pre-2011 marshallers? Or 2012 marshallers? Last year they parked us cheek-by-jowl, leaving us less room than normal. We still managed to fit our big tent on one side, and a small 2-man tent on the other, plus a screened in tent for the kitchen. :D

3. Position. This is random chance. If you are on the end of a row, you are golden, with room for a circus tent. If you're mid-row, not so much. Despite having just a one-in-ten chance, we managed to snag an end cap four out of the last five years.

If you have two reasonably-sized tents, you should have no trouble.

You pay nothing until after you land. The EAA greeters will hand you all the paperwork as you kiss the sacred soil of the North 40. Set up your site, then hoof it to the check-in tent. They will charge you for the entire week of camping.

Then, when you leave, go back to the check-in tent, and they will credit your account for the days you're not gonna use.

Well, now, let's make clear to all that you can't just camp next to any plane you find in the North 40. Technically, the rule is "one tent per plane" -- but the EAA has been lenient with enforcement.

In your case, there are some variables in play.

1. High wing or low wing? High wing has a space advantage, if your tent is short enough to fit under the wing. We pitch an 8-man tent with "stand up" room, so it wouldn't fit under any high wing short of a Caravan.

2. Pre-2011 marshallers? Or 2012 marshallers? Last year they parked us cheek-by-jowl, leaving us less room than normal. We still managed to fit our big tent on one side, and a small 2-man tent on the other, plus a screened in tent for the kitchen. :D

3. Position. This is random chance. If you are on the end of a row, you are golden, with room for a circus tent. If you're mid-row, not so much. Despite having just a one-in-ten chance, we managed to snag an end cap four out of the last five years.

If you have two reasonably-sized tents, you should have no trouble.

You pay nothing until after you land. The EAA greeters will hand you all the paperwork as you kiss the sacred soil of the North 40. Set up your site, then hoof it to the check-in tent. They will charge you for the entire week of camping.

Then, when you leave, go back to the check-in tent, and they will credit your account for the days you're not gonna use.

Thanks Jay!

-Dan

-Dan

OK, here's the deal. You DON'T need to purchase admission in advance; the EAA will be happy to take your money on the spot. The admission is less if you are a current EAA member.

You can buy single day admission for all the days you expect to be there OR buy one admission for the whole show.

If you buy single day admission, you get reinforced paper wristbands of different colors for the different days. I believe (but don't quote me) that you can turn in unused wristbands BEFORE the day (or the morning of) for a refund. SOmebody please check me on this.

If you buy the whole week, you get a plastic wristband made of the same stuff we sent men to the moon with. That stuff is incredibly strong BUT you have to wear it day and night for the whole week. Theoretically it cannot be removed. HOWEVER, some of us are clever with exacto knives (or razor blades) and magic mending tape that it takes close examination to see that we made the band removeable. Hey, we're airplane builders, ain't we?

It USED to be that you got little paper badges on a string that you were supposed to tie to your shirt button. John would buy one badge, get onto the grounds, go over to the fence, give the badge to Joe who would get on the grounds, go over to the fence, give the badge to Jerry, and so on.

You could probably get away with that with the razor blade-tape routine, but the EAA cops are all over the grounds and you'd have a hell of a time explaining how that wristband fell off.

Jim

a couple years I went to Oshkosh I parked my car at the Airport Hilton, walked into the North 40 and then took the bus to the entrance. I never bought a wristband and none of the "EAA Cops" ever asked me why I didn't have one. I even shook Poberezny's hand once sans wristband.

a couple years I went to Oshkosh I parked my car at the Airport Hilton, walked into the North 40 and then took the bus to the entrance. I never bought a wristband and none of the "EAA Cops" ever asked me why I didn't have one. I even shook Poberezny's hand once sans wristband.

For $50 we won't turn you in to Homeland Security... :D

Back