10th Anniversary POA

I've only been here since '06. I really appreciate everything the founders and mods have done to keep things running smoothly.

I recall the early days and how they were a welcome relief from the AOPA board. There, it seemed, too many people were simply focused on stating how great they were and how other people were ignoramuses. This board started out -- and has essentially remained -- a comfortable back porch where one can just hang out.

The first few years of the Gaston's fly-ins were some excellent cement that helped bind the community together. I, for one, am glad it's lasted this long.

I've flown with quite a few people off the boards over the years, even made some great enduring friendships IRL through them.
I've met with lots of people off the boards over the last 12 years or so. But I don't think I've flown with anyone that I didn't know IRL first.

Then again, most of my flying is solo. I've only flown with instructors, my parents, and a few friends. I think only one of those friends was a pilot. Well, I've flown with a safety pilot and my airplane's former owner too, but did not meet either of them on the boards.

I've met with lots of people off the boards over the last 12 years or so. But I don't think I've flown with anyone that I didn't know IRL first.

Then again, most of my flying is solo. I've only flown with instructors, my parents, and a few friends. I think only one of those friends was a pilot. Well, I've flown with a safety pilot and my airplane's former owner too, but did not meet either of them on the boards.
I have flown with a fair number of people here. Some have even let me fly their airplane for a bit, but I have never had anyone here as a passenger in an airplane where I am the PIC, mainly because I don't have an airplane.

I've ridden with lots of folks here that I didn't know IRL, mainly at Gastons. I don't even know if I cn remember them all:

Riding in the 190(5) with Greg
Riding in a 172 With Tony Condon
Riding with Dave T in his Viking
Flying left seat in Dr Bruce's Seneca
Riding with both of the Lances (B55 and Mooney 201)
Pulling 6g turns in the Extra with Chip
Riding in the blue Citabria with Tom
I think I took a flight with Ron in the Tiger, can't remember
I think I've been up with EdFred in the Comanche
I think I've been up with Jesse
Up with Steve in the eastern bloc trainer
Flew left seat in Ed Guthrie's 201 (that flight and the ride in Lance's 201 led to us getting a Mooey)
I think I've been in Spike's Bo, can't remember
I'm sure there are a few I've forgotten over the years

I enjoyed all of those flights and felt to be in good hands each ride.

I had to look up my join date .. 2/23/05 ... I know it was pretty close to the start of the board. I migrated .. like many others .. from the old "yellow board". That place had become a cesspool of extremists and egos. I'm sure a consideration in AOPA cleaning house was possible legal encounters due to the personal attacks on their board and the experience of AvWeb shortly before that.

I think POA has maintained a pretty high level all these years .. and that's why I stay here.

RT

Top 10 posters:

1. Henning
2. ScottM
3. Ron Levy
4. denverpilot
5. Everskyward
6. Steingar
7. Me!
8. wsuffa
9. Ted DuPuis
10. mikea

Clearly, if you guys do put together a celebration, and or commemorative T-shirts, the "top ten" guys need to foot the bill. Obviously they have gotten the most use out of this place of anybody. :yes::D

Holy crap. I need to find something else to do.

Nice to have met you too, Kent. And various others.

You sure those rankings aren't just for a year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to rank by number of words or letters?, you might be able to get the first place in that case :D

Is there a way to rank by number of words or letters?, you might be able to get the first place in that case :D
I would definitely boil down to a competition between him and Kent. :D

... I'm sure a consideration in AOPA cleaning house was possible legal encounters due to the personal attacks on their board and the experience of AvWeb shortly before that....

What happened at AvWeb?

...Now it seems that the place is overrun with keyboard superheros who would rather b*tch at each other about grammar than talk about flying... much less DO something flying related...

This probably won't make you feel any better, but from what I've seen, I would estimate that only one percent of grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors here get commented on, so it looks to me like the people who think those matter are exercising quite a bit of self restraint.

This probably won't make you feel any better, but from what I've seen, I would estimate that only one percent of grammar, spelling, and punctuation errors here get commented on, so it looks to me like the people who think those matter are exercising quite a bit of self restraint.

Isn't that a run-on sentence? ;)

I joined in May of 2007 in the wave of RAP refugees. So far I've only met one POAer in person and it was at a technical conference unrelated to flying (other than it pays for my flying).

Anybody want to try for a central Florida meetup in January?

John

The Sport Aviation Expo is in Sebring starting the 14th.

RT

What happened at AvWeb?

Several (I think 4 if I recall) posters took to making personal attacks on an aviation attorney on the AvWeb forum and he took them to task by filing lawsuits against them individually and against AvWeb. Some of the same types of attacks were happening on the AOPA board. Any time you attack someone personally in a public forum ... there can be a heavy price to pay.

RT

Back