108 Years Ago Today at Kittyhawk

Piloto

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Piloto
108 years ago two entrepenurial brothers at Kittyhawk NC made possible the first flight of a powered airplane from level ground. But what most impressed me if that they did with limited economic resources, no capital investors, or wall street. They developed the whole concept in three years with no prior knowledege of flying machines or piloting one. This is a true example of American entrepenurship. Today it takes more than three years and more than $500 to accomplish the same.

José

Nicely done, Orville and Wilbur.

Too bad I probably won't be flying today.

Did they use a treadmill?

108 years ago two entrepenurial brothers at Kittyhawk NC made possible the first flight of a powered airplane from level ground. But what most impressed me if that they did with limited economic resources, no capital investors, or wall street. They developed the whole concept in three years with no prior knowledege of flying machines or piloting one. This is a true example of American entrepenurship. Today it takes more than three years and more than $500 to accomplish the same.

José

They had it easy! No FAA to deal with....:rolleyes2:

More seriously, our profound thanks to the Wright Brothers!

-Skip

Not to take away from the Wright's accomplishment, but Dec 17th is also the B-day of the DC-3....not a bad day in aviation history.

Not to take away from the Wright's accomplishment, but Dec 17th is also the B-day of the DC-3....not a bad day in aviation history.

The latter would not have occurred without the former. An excellent day, indeed.

I think Wayne has a couple pictures of him and the Wright brothers at a tavern later that day.:D:D

I think Wayne has a couple pictures of him and the Wright brothers at a tavern later that day.:D:D

Orville: "We forgot the paint!"
Wayne: "It's better that way."
Wilbur: "He might be on to something..."

Back