100LL Debacle

You cheap farquads would all be running bunker fuel for $1.50/gal and a black IMC would descend on every airport in the nation.
It's been done before. ;)

avb52_3_04.jpg

Interesting first post to jump into the fray here.

I'd want to add some RATO bottles to my 182 for high altitude takeoff performance. FAA won't approve it, damn it.

Welcome to POA.

Welllllll, if they aren't permanently attached...

The best solution is not to legislate fuel at all. Let the people decide for themselves what kind of fuel they wish to use.
Sorry. It's the people around the airport and their lawyers that decide. It's legislators that decide. It's executive branch agencies that decide. Just to name a few.

A few rolls of generic velcro from HF should work, right?
Since you have struts, you could have some sort of yoke the rockets push against that's just pushing against the struts. When the thrust runs out, gravity simply does its job. Maybe a pin on a string you can pull on so it stays on with a little more than just inertia.

Since you have struts, you could have some sort of yoke the rockets push against that's just pushing against the struts. When the thrust runs out, gravity simply does its job. Maybe a pin on a string you can pull on so it stays on with a little more than just inertia.

Wait, I just realized I probably need to get my multi-rating for this. Probably not worth it.

Interesting first post to jump into the fray here.

I'd want to add some RATO bottles to my 182 for high altitude takeoff performance. FAA won't approve it, damn it.

Welcome to POA.

That's been done before, too.

Nice climb angle. I suppose thrust below the center axis will do that.

First-JATO-assisted-Flight-NASA-JPL-GPN-2000-001538.jpg

Take-off of America’s first “rocket-assisted” airplane, an Ercoupe fitted with a GALCIT developed solid propellent 28 pound thrust JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) booster. The Ercoupe took off from March Field, California and was piloted by Captain Homer A. Boushey Jr.

https://militaryaviationchronicles.com/wwii/the-erco-ercoupes-military-legacies/

Back