100 years of Air Mail

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
AIRMAIL100 CENTENNIAL FLIGHTS

[Omaha, NE, August 2020] September 8, 1920 began the start of transcontinental air mail service from New York to San Francisco. Exactly 100 years ago, a series of U.S. Post Office air mail biplanes landed in 16 airports carrying sacks of First Class mail destined for the West Coast. This was not just a first for the Post Office and America, but also for the world. It would spur great engineering breakthroughs that led to faster, safer, more reliable air travel. In turn that would open the doors to the creation of the great airlines of the world.

More than three dozen General Aviation pilots volunteered to celebrate the Centennial Anniversary of the US Air Mail Service. On September 8, 2020, these pilots will recreate the original Post Office air mail route. Back in 1920 when those original pilots took to the air there were no maps. Just the thin line of railroad tracks and sometimes only a simple, often erratic compass. The Pilots' Directions New York-San Francisco Route was a 70 page booklet issued by Otto Praeger, the Second Assistant Postmaster General of the United States. One hundred years later, we'll be flying with the 21st Century aids of GPS, digital maps, and in-flight weather radar.

To honor the memory of these original pilots and their oath to let “neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stay these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds” we are carrying commemorative postcards dedicated to each of the 16 airfields. They will be turned over to the Postmaster in San Francisco and cancelled with a special event stamp. From there they’ll be mailed to their addressees and become a part of American history.

http://airmail100.com/

[Note: no one's getting any money out of this]

Looks like fun, have a great flight. Watch out for the many Fire TFRs popping up in Northern California.

SFO Fires.jpg

Just FYI, the description of the original terminus might be a little misleading to people who know the area. The site calls the Marina Airfield 'Marina Green' which is different location than the place pictured, Crissy Field.

http://members.tripod.com/airfields_freeman/CA/Airfields_CA_SanFran.htm#crissy

marina.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 10.07.53.png

Last edited:
Cool, a little boost to the ol' civic pride. Do you know where he took off from? I didn't find it in this https://www.earlyaviators.com/eedwards.htm
Swan Island airport wasn't there yet as far as I can tell
I don't know where in Portland the air mail flight originated. But that flight is often confused with Silas Christofferson's flight to Vancouver the same year, which took off from the roof of the Multnomah Hotel (now Embassy Suites).

Relevant, an interesting snippet from Turbulent Skies which I am currently reading:

At the outset, the prospects for airmail were far from brilliant. The service got its start in the spring of 1918, with initial connections linking Washington, Philadelphia, and New York. President Wilson was on hand for the first flight from the capital. Its pilot, a young lieutenant fresh out of flying school, was very inexperienced and had an atrocious sense of direction. When he landed, he was farther from Philadelphia than when he had taken off.
This book does a good job describing the birth of air mail for those interested in reading more. There was a fair amount of controversy surrounding the government's role in competing air mail routes.

I don't know where in Portland the air mail flight originated. But that flight is often confused with Silas Christofferson's flight to Vancouver the same year, which took off from the roof of the Multnomah Hotel (now Embassy Suites).

Wow. Lots of hits in Google about it. None of them say how. Starting with like how'd they get the plane up there. Was it assisted with some kinda catapult thingy? Were the winds pretty high that day? One thing said there were 45,000 people there to watch. No pics??? Hold it, there weren't in the articles but I clicked the images button in Google. They built a runway on the roof.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Sil...VFJzQIHa39DLUQ_AUoAnoECB0QBA&biw=1600&bih=758

The very first US mail carried by air was in 1912 - from Portland, Oregon, to Vancouver, WA, the site of my former home field KVUO.

View attachment 88990
I thought is was earlier? From George Washington? 1793?
https://www.historynet.com/jean-pierre-blanchard-made-first-us-aerial-voyage-in-1793.htm
https://web.archive.org/web/2008062...light.gov/essay/Dictionary/blanchard/DI10.htm

I suppose the 1912 reference may be better described as "regular", or something indicating it wasn't a one-off stunt.

This trip ends in Concord, CA. Then the bags of mail will be driven to the main SF Post Office.

Yikes. Might as well rope off the whole state.

View attachment 88991
Colorado's not as bad, but I-70 has been closed for a week. Cars can go over Independence Pass (Aspen) but trucks have to re-route down south on 285, which is only 2-lane to Salida, Gunnison then to Grand Junction. No estimates when it re-opens because fires are right there, on I-70.

Starting with like how'd they get the plane up there. Was it assisted with some kinda catapult thingy? Were the winds pretty high that day? One thing said there were 45,000 people there to watch. No pics??? Hold it, there weren't in the articles but I clicked the images button in Google.
The 1912 air mail flight was reenacted in 1992 by Tom Murphy of the Western Antique Aeroplane and Automobile Museum, with a replica Curtiss Pusher. In 1995 he reenacted the flight from the top of the Multnomah Hotel to Pearson Field. It's hard to believe that FAA gave the go-ahead for it, but it happened. They built the plywood runway on top of the 8-story building (then unoccupied), and hauled the airplane in pieces up the elevator, and reassembled it. Low ceilings delayed the flight several hours, but Murphy took off. Enroute he had barely enough ceiling to clear the St. Johns Bridge.

In 1992 Tom Murphy, WAAAM's Director of Restorations, flew this airplane from Portland, Oregon to Vancouver, Washington, reenacting the first interstate air mail flight in the U.S. done in 1912 by Walter Edwards. A few months before Edwards' flight Silas Christofferson, flying the same airplane that Edwards flew, had departed Portland from the roof of the new eight-story Multnomah Hotel and flew to Vancouver Barracks. In 1995 Tom Murphy reenacted Christofferson's flight using this airplane. A short video about Tom's flight plays at the museum throughout the day.
http://www.ruudleeuw.com/us12-hoodriver.htm

IMG_3568.jpeg

I was present at Pearson for Murphy's landing.

Family-1990s-04011.jpg

I suppose the 1912 reference may be better described as "regular", or something indicating it wasn't a one-off stunt.
I think the 1912 flight would have been the first airmail transport in an airplane, as opposed to balloon.

The 1912 air mail flight was reenacted in 1992 by Tom Murphy of the Western Antique Aeroplane and Automobile Museum, with a replica Curtiss Pusher. In 1995 he reenacted the flight from the top of the Multnomah Hotel to Pearson Field. It's hard to believe that FAA gave the go-ahead for it, but it happened. They built the plywood runway on top of the 8-story building (then unoccupied), and hauled the airplane in pieces up the elevator, and reassembled it. Low ceilings delayed the flight several hours, but Murphy took off. Enroute he had barely enough ceiling to clear the St. Johns Bridge.

In 1992 Tom Murphy, WAAAM's Director of Restorations, flew this airplane from Portland, Oregon to Vancouver, Washington, reenacting the first interstate air mail flight in the U.S. done in 1912 by Walter Edwards. A few months before Edwards' flight Silas Christofferson, flying the same airplane that Edwards flew, had departed Portland from the roof of the new eight-story Multnomah Hotel and flew to Vancouver Barracks. In 1995 Tom Murphy reenacted Christofferson's flight using this airplane. A short video about Tom's flight plays at the museum throughout the day.
http://www.ruudleeuw.com/us12-hoodriver.htm

View attachment 89000

I was present at Pearson for Murphy's landing.

View attachment 89003

I think the 1912 flight would have been the first airmail transport in an airplane, as opposed to balloon.

St Johns bridge. Ain’t no thang. Ya just fly under it. Great museum, been there a couple times but don’t recall that video or the plane. There was a what looked like a Wright Flyer replica project that was outside. I think they were getting ready to fly it. Maybe It was that plane.

It is a great museum. They have an annual fly-in that is pretty cool that I have been to several times. It does attract lots of plane - some 300-400. Unfortunately no fly-in this year because of Covid.

Back