100 no lead

Samuel Seidel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sam
More expensive than airplane fuel. Not sure what it is exactly, but no mention of lead or anything.
39D4F58F-378A-423F-A3A6-B5EF66A13EB2.jpeg

Just 100 Octane racing gas. Used to be a gas station near the 1/4 mile track that would sell it. Where did you come across this?

Paid $4.20 today for 100LL and that was at the cheap FBO. I'm sure that will be going up soon.

Blended race gas, 100 octane unleaded. I used to sell Exxon unleaded true 93 octane and Exxon 100 octane unleaded for the SCCA guys. I even had an old gas station pump set up to satisfy the guys that did not understand the term ''pump''.

Back in the day I had a '88 Pontiac Grand Am with the quad 4 motor. It would get 38 mpg on the true 93 octane gas.

And the Ferrari guys that had a $250,000 dollar car still complained about the $2.25 a gallon price.

8 buck a gallon race gas is what killed our race fuel business.

But methanol sold for a buck a gallon.

You can mix your own 100, I used to do it for drag racing a turbo Buick. Sherwin Williams gallon containers of toluene and xylene. I forget the mix ratio, but I created a table and posted somewhere on the internet from like 20 years ago...probably still out there I suppose.

I thought the pump race gas was leaded. At least it is (was) here in Indiana. Haven’t looked for it in a decade or more.

I thought the pump race gas was leaded. At least it is (was) here in Indiana. Haven’t looked for it in a decade or more.

Leaded race gas is still available for now. Reputable engine builders have no problem with unleaded race gas. NASCAR still uses unleaded gas blended with ethanol, by rules.

I remember that Hot Rod Magazine article stating how to make real ''race'' gas using paint thinners.

Leaded race gas is still available for now. Reputable engine builders have no problem with unleaded race gas. NASCAR still uses unleaded gas blended with ethanol, by rules.

I remember that Hot Rod Magazine article stating how to make real ''race'' gas using paint thinners.
You can mix your own 100, I used to do it for drag racing a turbo Buick. Sherwin Williams gallon containers of toluene and xylene. I forget the mix ratio, but I created a table and posted somewhere on the internet from like 20 years ago...probably still out there I suppose.

That's pretty much what gasoline is now- a lot of toluene and xylenes. Swift gas had more, car gas has more alkenes. It's cheaper to buy the gas than to but the paint thinners now.

Back