$100 diner cheesburger in LA Basin

warthog1984

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
LanCA'r
Looking to go for the $100 cheeseburger after work this week. Suggestions?

Criteria:

*Has to be in/near North or East LA (prefer +/- 50nm from CMA)
*Has to be open until 7 or 8PM with lighted runway
*Good food
*Food shouldn't be >$20/head

Norm's Hangar - Brackett Airport [KPOC] is usually open until 7p - and has Taco Tuesday. If you don't mind a short walk El Merendero is one of hte best Mexican places around - authentic - and 4 people can eat dinner with a drink and tip for $45 . .

Tower @ POC is open til 9p.

Cable [CCB] - Maniac Mikes is not open past 3p but if you land, park under the former control tower and then walk out - down the street - make a right at the light - walk down the sidewalk past the entrance to Lowes - walk in the entrance right before the 76 Gas Station and to the next driveway and walk into the little strip mall you have a very Italian Restaurant called Spaggis - http://www.spaggis.com/ - and, right next to it is TakaSushi AYCE for $20 dinner - get a soda, and tip and all you can eat sushi for $30.

Last edited:
Also - Santa Monica - the nice place - Typhoon [??] is open nights but not cheap. A few walk up place - I think Spitfire Grill is open late - will let someone more familiar answer that one . . .

Van Nuys has 94th Aero Squadron [still open?? ] - or the Hotel - park at the hotel and walk in.

El Monte does not have many close by restaurants - it too bad one of the Dim Sum places does not open a spot close by.

Chino is a wasteland at night. Only place open is the 2 prisons.

Going the other way Santa Barbara has the Beach Bar that is walkable from Atlantic - but they will usually give you a ride over there or you can walk or ride a bike for your $8 gasoline. nothing is close by Signature since the Elephant Bar closed -

That concludes the culinary tour of places inside 50nm -

San Luis Obispo hands down, a bit more then 50 miles. Also the Mexican place at Santa Maria.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm currently planning on doing CMA->SMO (probably with a T&G at LGB or SNA to get practice with the transition & log it as XC time).

I did not know about Brackett or Santa Maria, so those are possibilities if I don't want to mess with LAX traffic.

SBA and SLO are good, but since I've "done" those before they probably won't make the list. AYCE sushi- do you know how many nigiri I've had before:confused:?

Last edited:
Looking to go for the $100 cheeseburger after work this week. Suggestions?

Criteria:

*Has to be in/near North or East LA (prefer +/- 50nm from CMA)
*Has to be open until 7 or 8PM with lighted runway
*Good food
*Food shouldn't be >$20/head

Carlsbad (KCRQ) has a great restaurant that is open late. Montgomery (KMYF) has THE best Mexican restaurant [Casa Machado's] Both are definitely worth flying to!

El Monte has a diner/Mexican that's pretty decent on the airport. I think it's open until 8pm all days of the week. Just fly in, park up and eat. Annia's Kitchen it's called - you can Google it.

CMA has the best diner IMHO, but it closes early.

Last edited:
Your right about the food at KCMA, but for me it's a walk to place, I guess I could Taxi there.

El Monte has a diner/Mexican that's pretty decent on the airport. I think it's open until 8pm all days of the week. Just fly in, park up and eat. Annia's Kitchen it's called - you can Google it.

CMA has the best diner IMHO, but it closes early.

Yeah, but CMA's where the plane lives- not exactly a good fly-in spot.

Back