$100 burrito in Nogales KOLS w/video

AvionicsTech

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
AvionicsTech
So, this is my first post, been lurking for a little while. Solo'd 14 years ago, got my ticket 2 months ago (life is what happens while you're busy making other plans).

Anywho, my wife and I took a trip down to Nogales for breakfast last week. I searched around here for any info on the airport and couldn't find much, so I thought I'd contribute. Due to the terrain and proximity to the border, the approach from the north is tricky. I chose to come in over the mountains and overfly into the pattern vs flying over the city and entering a downwind from there. It was a bit bumpy, but I think it was the best choice considering my unfamiliarity with the airport and it's location being so close to the ADIZ. My Bad Elf GPS went wonky on me, but I had my wife working the nav log so it was no problem. Runway 21 (preferred) is downhill and on this day there was a crosswind gusting to 14 (not in the wx brief). Took me by surprise a bit, but made for a little excitement. The downwind for 21 also makes you feel like you're about to auger right into the hills due to the rising terrain. Made a bit of a too tight pattern, considering the winds, but I'll learn from mistakes like that.

The Airport: Nogales International Airport is "international" because of the customs office for GA flights across the border. It has one building housing the fbo, customs, and a small kitchen. The kitchen was my destination. It wasn't a restaurant, but more of a window with a menu. I was hungry, food was good. and bottomless coffee certainly helped me get back to Tucson. I had a breakfast burrito with egg, ham, sausage, and potatoes. I was set until dinner.
The trip back (being a little more familiar with the area) I decided to take a straight out departure to the west to avoid the hot air rising above the mountains. Got a great view of the border fence and the Nogales port of entry on the way out ...and couldn't wait to point my nose north.

I added a video of my flight, tried to condense it as much as possible, but it's still 18 minutes long. Nogales is at about 9:00 into the video.

Sorry if this first post is a bit wordy, I just wanted to share the details I had looked for before I made this flight.

http://youtu.be/18Pup53jJqk

A nice flight to Nogales! ...and a nice landing there, too! Yes, the mountains give the impression you are too low--that, and the sloping runway catches a lot of pilots new to Nogales. I fly in there often and your approach to the airport is exactly how I do it. It was also nice to see you using checkpoints and a timer! Kelly is a good instructor! (...and you're a good pilot!) :^)

Cool, that's one of Kelly's planes. I did my instrument and commercial ratings with her.

Yeah, Kelly runs a great little flight school.

A nice flight to Nogales! ...and a nice landing there, too! Yes, the mountains give the impression you are too low--that, and the sloping runway catches a lot of pilots new to Nogales. I fly in there often and your approach to the airport is exactly how I do it. It was also nice to see you using checkpoints and a timer! Kelly is a good instructor! (...and you're a good pilot!) :^)

Thanks for letting me know I was doing it right. Really appreciate it. Need to find some other places to explore now.

Nice job! I like the steep approach. Looks like a nice place to fly and I agree with your wife that I'm glad "I'm on this side" :)

Back