10 years from now, this story will be funny

Um, I'm pretty sure he did the right 360 on downwind, not at 100AGL on final. Still the wrong decision, but not what you guys are making this out to be.

Just to nit pick, there's no wake turbulence behind a jet taking off. There's only jet blast and if you're that close you have much bigger issues. The wake turbulence comes from flying aircraft only.

So the taking off aircraft is not flying during the first second that it leaves the ground? Is that not considering part of "taking off"?

So the taking off aircraft is not flying during the first second that it leaves the ground? Is that not considering part of "taking off"?

Wingtip vortices are created when a wing is producing lift, not when a plane is flying. Wings can (and do) produce lift when the plane isn't off the ground.

Just to nit pick, there's no wake turbulence behind a jet taking off. There's only jet blast and if you're that close you have much bigger issues. The wake turbulence comes from flying aircraft only.

Covered.

If you can't land in a 172 prior to the jet's rotation point (when it is still on the ground!), you need some practice with a CFI. A low-altitude 172 short field landing is under 800 feet roll.

Um, I'm pretty sure he did the right 360 on downwind, not at 100AGL on final. Still the wrong decision, but not what you guys are making this out to be.
That's what I got out of the story.
That's the only way he could have ended up "10 miles" out after completing the 360.

We were referring not to the OP's 360 in that part of the discussion. The situation is everything made out to be when linked to the correct reference.

Then I'm on a 2 mile final and I see tower clearing a jet to take off. As the jet is on its roll i asked for confirmation that i was clear to land. it just seemed to close for comfort. If it was uncontrolled i would have definitely of done a 360 before coming in. Tower says I'm good to go.

He says he would have done a 360 around 2 mile final if it was uncontrolled. I don't know why he trusted tower this time but not on the downwind for spacing.

I dislike talking to tower and being given commands.
That statement is what worries me the most.

I dislike talking to tower and being given commands. I dislike crowded airspace- which is why an airport is controlled in the first place.

I'm not sure what your issue is with being given commands. They aren't there to boss you around. Their job is about air safety and the instructions they give are with that end goal.

I trained at a semi busy Class D airport. They knew by our tail numbers who the students were likely to be and did a nice job of "helping" us out. My suggestion would be to go take a tower tour and meet these people. Maybe putting a face to a name (at least at your home field) would change your attitude about talking to them.

And if you're unsure about something, don't be afraid to ask them. Like I said, they are there to help.

And I just got my first "Line up and Wait" about a month ago at BVI.

I think there will always be a degree of discomfort when you go off on your own, but now you know what you should practice with your CFI.

I am working on my tailwheel endorsement now and I think sometimes we forget that the CFI is working for us and not the other way around! I try so hard to make him happy and I have to remind myself that I am a student and if I could do everything perfectly, I wouldn't need a CFI.

Also remember, this is not a race. CFIs do get paid-- and by you-- and most are just happy being in the air. :)

Sorry you are feeling discouraged, but learning is not always an upward curve. There are usually bumps along the way.

Hi Tiffany, good to see you post!

OP doesn't like talking to ATC. Well, they're speaking English and if they use 'technical jargon' you should learn what they mean (find and read the Pilot/Controller Glossary, for starters). In the meantime, ask them what they mean, and they'll help you especially if you explain you're a student. Sure, you may get flustered, but there's no logical reason for it. Speak to ATC, they're there to help.

Wow, you suck. :rolleyes2:

Yep... I'm not a cheerleader that's for sure. When someone presents themselves as a danger to themselves, I say so. I have buried more friends in aviation than I have fingers on my hands over the last 20 some years. Aviation is very unforgiving.

OP doesn't like talking to ATC. Well, they're speaking English and if they use 'technical jargon' you should learn what they mean (find and read the Pilot/Controller Glossary, for starters). In the meantime, ask them what they mean, and they'll help you especially if you explain you're a student. Sure, you may get flustered, but there's no logical reason for it. Speak to ATC, they're there to help.

He also doesn't like being corrected, nor does he like anyone anywhere in his midst. He doesn't like anything that is not exactly the way he wants it and it flusters him into making poor decisions when it happens.

I strongly suggest you go to Radio Shack and buy an $80 radio scanner that picks up the aircraft band. Go to a busy controlled airport with a lawn chair and a cooler, find a place with a nice view, and just watch the fun.

As you see planes in the air and ground, try to anticipate what they are going to say before they say it.

If you hear something confusing, make a note of it and ask your CFI about it.

This is a fun, cheap, and painless way to learn controlled airport procedures.

Another thing that would help is to visit the tower. That's harder than it used to be, but it's worth the effort to try and make it happen. If you can just become a fly on the wall in the tower for an hour you'll really gain a lot of knowledge and appreciation for what flying looks like on that side of the glass.

Most of all, don't fret about this. Every single pilot since Orville has hit bumps in the road of learning to fly.

Every. Single. One. Of. Us.

In the future, do NOT perform a maneuver in the pattern without discussing with ATC unless doing so would create an unsafe condition. The 360 may very well have upset the apple cart which is why you were allowed to extend downwind indefinitely.

working out of a controlled airport is a good thing IMO. My home base is uncontrolled, and I was very hesitant to go anywhere that was busy. Until I got my instrument rating and had to talk with ATC and towered airports, I was uncomfortable with a lot of the radio calls. the experience you are getting now will help a lot down the road.

After I came back to aviation, I started my son down the path at KPWK which can be somewhat busy and is controlled during the day. This past summer, he had an internship and wanting him to continue to take lessons for the month of his internship, I paid for lessons at KUMP which does not have a tower. I figured the experience would be good for him to see both sides of the fence.

Note to OP. What helped me somewhat is to get some communications CDs and listened to various examples. It helped me get comfortable with radio work and what possibly to expect - although nothing is a substitute for real life experience.

I
Another thing that would help is to visit the tower. That's harder than it used to be, but it's worth the effort to try and make it happen. If you can just become a fly on the wall in the tower for an hour you'll really gain a lot of knowledge and appreciation for what flying looks like on that side of the glass.

Most of all, don't fret about this. Every single pilot since Orville has hit bumps in the road of learning to fly.

Every. Single. One. Of. Us.

Good advice. :yes:

Until I could see what the controllers see I was unsure of what they really wanted. Their job is to keep planes from swapping paint. Period. They are not there to grade you or cause you anxiety. They want you to be safe.

I strongly suggest you go to Radio Shack and buy an $80 radio scanner that picks up the aircraft band. Go to a busy controlled airport with a lawn chair and a cooler, find a place with a nice view, and just watch the fun. [/B]

Having a backup transceiver is always a good idea, so purchase one now and do the lawnchair/cooler thing.
As for towered vs. non-towered, I'd rather land at a towered airport any day, busy or not. I like being told what to do and being watched. However, that ONLY applies to flying. :yes:

You also need to realize that your CFI can't possibly prepare you for all of the phraseology and best practices in the 15 hours or so it takes to solo. ...

Mine did. Didn't charge for ground and gave homework (written) in addition to the normal required reading pre-solo and pre-solo Class C. On first solo to Class C, he reiterated that tower might give "make right 270 for traffic" near base turn (left traffic) and that's exactly what I got.

On solo (C-152), his door opened after he jumped out (which it often had when he was on board) at about 400 AGL.

For as much time as Ben has into it, I can easily see where Henning is coming from ...

My unease with flying centers largely around this issue and the engine failure at low altitude issue. The CFI and student who died a week ago brought the latter much back to mind.

On traffic at airports, it seems to me this is going to be the very place where a lot of low-time students are going to be flying around at low altitudes in the pattern, and doing touch and goes, thus creating an environment rife with potential for tower errors, traffic-spotting difficulties, and out-of-usual scenarios that any but a much more experienced pilot will find unnerving.

I don't expect everything to go my way, but it would take me hours and hours to get comfortable with the fact that what I see isn't what the tower is telling me, or that what I can't see (traffic called out) is no threat to me in moving, real time.

I think there is a proficiency/experience/heightened awareness level (as opposed to comfort) that is gradually attained.

When I talked with my husband about this thread, his response was "Mid-air collisions are very rare." For some reason that is not comforting, but then, I am learning that really nothing about flying is comforting. You don't go into it for any sort of lulling effect, and certainly nothing can give that to a thinking, aware passenger either, except denial of realities.

Sounds like your new CFI isn't anal enough about little, but important details.

Remember this is a low hour student. The 360 was a bad idea and certainly a first step in a multi link chain that probably scared the hell out of him.

The key thing I see here is the OP has not yet realized that visually how far apart planes really are. Both in talking about the plane in the pattern with him and the plane ready to takeoff.

I struggled early on with "Is that guy really going to takeoff? I am on final. WTF" Now I know plane on the numbers easily get out of the way especially a jet when you are on 2 mile final. (adjust for wake turbulence though) now if you are on 1/4 mile final and it is a 172 on the go (probably wouldn't happen at a towered airport) I might do the 360.

I don't think you should quit but I think you should spend more time with a CFI especially at towered fields. I would hold of on solo flying a bit longer.
Everyone has these moments you just reacted to issues that were not really issues, sort of causing your own problem.

relax.

A 360 on a 1/4 mile final at low altitude? Errrr..how about a go around if the separation won't work?

Yep... I'm not a cheerleader that's for sure. When someone presents themselves as a danger to themselves, I say so. I have buried more friends in aviation than I have fingers on my hands over the last 20 some years. Aviation is very unforgiving.

That you did or did not bury friends doesn't thereby give you or anyone a free pass into Jerk-Off Land, but that's just me I guess.

OP sounds like he's easily flustered, but I for one am not going to throw stones. He who is without sin and all that. Which is not to say there aren't people who should not be flying.

My unease with flying centers largely around this issue and the engine failure at low altitude issue. The CFI and student who died a week ago brought the latter much back to mind.

On traffic at airports, it seems to me this is going to be the very place where a lot of low-time students are going to be flying around at low altitudes in the pattern, and doing touch and goes, thus creating an environment rife with potential for tower errors, traffic-spotting difficulties, and out-of-usual scenarios that any but a much more experienced pilot will find unnerving.

I don't expect everything to go my way, but it would take me hours and hours to get comfortable with the fact that what I see isn't what the tower is telling me, or that what I can't see (traffic called out) is no threat to me in moving, real time.

I think there is a proficiency/experience/heightened awareness level (as opposed to comfort) that is gradually attained.

When I talked with my husband about this thread, his response was "Mid-air collisions are very rare." For some reason that is not comforting, but then, I am learning that really nothing about flying is comforting. You don't go into it for any sort of lulling effect, and certainly nothing can give that to a thinking, aware passenger either, except denial of realities.

Not that you need any stamp of approval from me, but this is VERY well said.

That you did or did not bury friends doesn't thereby give you or anyone a free pass into Jerk-Off Land, but that's just me I guess.

OP sounds like he's easily flustered, but I for one am not going to throw stones. He who is without sin and all that. Which is not to say there aren't people who should not be flying.

I dunno. It seemed a bit harsh to me, but I take it seriously that several of the experienced members had the same reaction. That looks a lot like some history that isn't apparent in the thread.

Henning is definitely not a teddy bear, but I haven't seen him that harsh with a student on very many (and maybe no) other occasions.

I've had my license for 2+ years and I learned at uncontrolled fields. I still have some trepidation when it comes to landing at towered airports. That said, I've had nothing but good experiences with tower controllers helping me out. Nothing wrong with telling them you're a student and/or unfamiliar.

OP- I am no Ace Pilot. Plenty of issues during my training. Eventually I got it all together. One of the things PoA forum peeps are good about is critiquing that is for sure! So thanks for sharing your story and maybe this will educate someone else coming up through the ranks. I suggest talking with your CFI and see what he thinks about your solo performance. If he says it's a learning thing then so be it. Take this as a learning experience. Just please don't be "pflemming" (If you don't know who that is do a search for it as the author)

my suggestion is go up with your instructor and do a lot of touch and go's. fly to other nearby towered airports and have them give you pattern entry instructions. go fly on a really nice day when you know the airport is going to be busy. re read up on communications as line up and wait it as standard and clear as your going to get. ibr had the priveledge on flying out of KFRG where it is common everyday to have at least 5 to 10 planes in the pattern. hope this helps!

...After soloing with a flight school at an uncontrolled airport earlier this year, I was never able to regain my touch for landings. I believe the issue was the flight instructor being anal about everything. I only soloed once, and quit after like 10 lessons when the school wouldn't clear me to solo because my attitude when landing was always wrong in their opinion...

...I dislike talking to tower and being given commands...

...After 3 lessons with the new school, the instructor said i was ready for my "second first solo".

...And here is where I got really upset: Tower kept on saying to me "ident" "ident". i confessed to them in a defeated voice: "I don't understand"...

Benjamin, I'm no clinician, but this almost sounds like an anxiety disorder. Based on your telling of the story, it sounds like your first instructor was just being diligent, and was correct when expressing concern about your attitude.

I have a friend who is an instructor, and he had to surrender his credentials and recertify because one of his former students had an accident. I don't blame any instructor who errs on the side of being too picky. This guy lost months of his livelihood when the FAA felt the need to find a scapegoat.

Your instructor at the second flight school may have spared you some challenges, but you escaped that anxiety on the ground in exchange for anxiety in the air. That's a really bad idea.

Before any instructor signs you off to solo, he's supposed to have trained you in the airport environment where you'll be flying, and conducted an appropriate pre-solo test. If you got up there and didn't know what "ident" meant, your second instructor had not prepared you for the environment. Maybe three lessons prior to flying in the towered environment wasn't enough dual time to be ready. You should have had enough dual instruction to get the hang of anticipating normal instructions from ATC at that airport.

Not everyone is cut out to do this. If you can acknowledge your mistakes, quit trying to transfer blame to instructors or ATC, and be motivated to focus on the areas where you need improvement, you might actually come out sharper than someone who's a "natural." But, so far, that's not the road you're on.

OK. I never get that as the there is usually only one guy working both tower and ground at our class C. From what I remember line up and wait was only allowed if each cab position was filled.

That shouldn't matter...the command is issued only by the tower controller as they own the runways. They use it to expedite flow of traffic....getting one in position for take-off while another is taking off, or there is crossing traffic down field.

I do believe Henning is spot on. There are people who do not need to be flying planes.

I trained at pretty busy Delta airport in a very intense program...two of the best things that my instructor taught me (other than how to land) was to listen to Live ATC for my airport in my down time and use the phrase "Student Pilot" when talking to any ATC on my solos...then "new pilot" once I got my ticket and now "unfamiliar" when going into a new airspace or airport...they are a lot more helpful!

Well, I guess I have a series of one-liners as suggestions:

• Be humble - lose the "I don't like commands" attitude
  • Be in command - fly the plane, don't let it fly you
  • Own your mistakes and endeavor to fix them - push your embarrassment aside, learn, and move on
  • Be a sponge - soak up every bit of knowledge and advice that's offered, and thirst for more
  • Over prepare - Be more than ready for every flight
  • Think about flying when you're not flying - Keep your head in the game

I can tell you with absolute confidence that I was never, ever, frustrated during training. And I assure you it's not because I'm God's gift to pilots nor is it because I learned everything quickly. It took me more than three years and 75 hours. My approach was thus: flying is amazing. You're doing something that nearly all of the world population couldn't even begin to have access to. It's also challenging, and that is REALLY fun. Because when you "master" it, you know you've really done something special. And so I took it head-on, with open eyes and ears, with a permanent huge grin, and savoring each moment aloft.

You're surrounded by people who know more than you may ever know about flying. The tower controllers who you have difficulty taking commands from know more than you know about flying, even if they're not pilots. Can you be humble? Can you listen and learn -- without resentment -- from all those who offer guidance?

I think you have a decision to make.

Brilliant, and well said asechrest.

When I was flying in busy airspace and struggling with radio issues, my CFI had me script everything on my kneeboard. Every thing from ATIS to Info for taxiing to parking was on a typed, folded sheet of paper. one side for departure, one for approach. All I did was fill in the blanks, then read the script as I went. found out I didn't stumble and pause on busy airwaves if I was reading it. By the second solo I was comfortable on my own. (Thanks Mike)

Thanks everyone for your posts. It's been very inspiring to read the positive ones, and entertaining (but nothing else) to read the negative ones. I appreciate all.

Back