10 year solo anniversary -- a great flying day

Sam D

Pattern Altitude
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Sam D
(cross-posted from Red Board)

Did you ever have one of those magical flying days?

Today is the 10 year anniversary of my first solo (yes, Halloween), and I wanted to commemorate it with something special. A friend of mine had expressed an interest in flying. So, I thought what a better day to introduce someone to flying than today.

I showed up early to the airport just as my partner was taxiing to the pumps after a flight of his own. Weather in Petaluma was beautiful today, and everybody seemed to be flying. A Coast Guard rescue helicopter had just touched down and a beautiful yellow Stearman was taxiing in.

Soon, my buddy showed up and we headed out. After the obligatory turns around a house, we headed for the coast and picked up flight following to Half Moon Bay. The weather was totally cooperative today and the fog and its kitten paws (or however that poem goes) kept themselves offshore.

We had a great lunch at the cafe on the field. As we were about to leave, I realized that the couple at the table next to us was John and Martha King up from Monterey for a quick lunch in their R44. I had a brief chat with them and they were extremely nice. At the same time, it's a little hard to explain to my friend who they were ("no really, these guys are like rockstars in aviation..."):D.

The Kings were high tailing it out of there because the fog was moving in fast and we did the same. A short bay tour later we were back in Petaluma. Got the plane put away and made sure to introduce my friend to the local flight school.

Sometimes I think the hardest part of starting the flight training journey is connecting with a flight school. Hopefully that was taken care of today!

All in all a great flying day and a great way to celebrate my flying anniversary.

very cool, happy anniversary.

when the day comes for me to take my bro and his wife on a bay tour and to KHAF it'll be in the archer out of petaluma. I might hit u up for some local tips!

Please do. Would be great to meet you.

Back