10"+ Tablet (iOS/Android/Windows8)

sonex293

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
sonex293
Ok,

My 10.1" Thinkpad Android Tablet is on the way out. It's been hit by a common design flaw with the power button not working. Also, the unit is about 1.5 yrs old and is starting to show it's age. It is NVidia Tegra2 based and the GPS has always been flacky in it. So it's time to upgrade.

Normally when I fly, I use my Android phone, a Google Nexus 3.7" unit. On the longer X-Country flights I would bring the 10.1" Tablet. My plan is to buy either a Nexus7 or Apple Mini this summer to become my Aviation Unit of choice.

Due to getting the N7 or Mini, I'm looking at all OS options for the larger tablet. My main use would be Surfing, Email, and the occasional Aviation app.

I've started looking but there are a lot of options. I've started looking at the Google Nexus 10, Asus TF300, Asus TF700, and Microsoft Surface Pro. I'm leaning toward the Surface Pro, but not quite sure. I do use Win8Pro on my desktop.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Michael

Here we go again. :D

Android and iOS both have mostly good and a few quirky things. Either is good for general stuff.

If you plan on using it for flying, pick the one that has the apps you want like ForeFlight or WingX. Same for size. I prefer the 10" but the 7" has its fans as well.

Cheers

I got a refurb'ed Motorola XOOM from woot.com for $200. My wife loves it. I'm sorry that I can't comment on its functionality myself - I've only been able to play with it a few minutes since she got a hold of it last week. ;)

Due to getting the N7 or Mini, I'm looking at all OS options for the larger tablet.
Personally, I would want both machines to run the same OS, so would decide on the small tablet first.

FWIW, all of the applications that I bought for my Nexus One phone were available for (free) download to my Nexus 7 after I registered it as one of my devices. I use CoPilot Live for highway navigation, so this saved me about thirty bucks right away, plus I saved maybe another $10-20 on some other apps. I don't know how Apple handles apps when you have multiple devices. You might want to check.

Thanks every one for all the comments. I ordered a Surface Pro and it should be here on Tuesday. I decided to go the Win8 route mainly because I need to access my Work network which is not supported with either iOS or Android.

My current plan for aviation is to stick with Android unless I "need" to switch to iOS based on application. I'd like to go to Sun-n-Fun this year and take a look at the iLevil product. Not only does it add ADS/B, GPS, and AHRS but also integrate with the engine monitor I have in my airplane. There seems to be more iOS support than Android for the Levil products and I want to talk with them about the future.....

Thanks again everyone.

==
Michael

Last edited:
You will love the surface pro. You can install bluestacks and run android apps on there if you want too :)

http://www.bluestacks.com/

Jeppeson said they're working on their app.. Forlight, probably never see on Windows or anything non apple, not sure about the rest.

Back