10 Reasons Why I'm a Better Pilot Than You

Captain

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
First Officer
If you opened this thread then you must have some self doubt. It'll be interesting to see how the view count rises compared to the post count.

If you opened this thread then you must have some self doubt. It'll be interesting to see how the view count rises compared to the post count.

I just clicked because I was curious about the 10 reasons an amateur would come up with, but it doesn't look like you could even come up with one. Totally disappointed.

JKG

I thought it was going to be a humorous list. What a let down.

Could you at least make something up? It doesn't have to be all that funny.

Well let me try:

10. I have more epaulets than anyone else.
9. I've landed a glider on just one wheel.
8. I've taken off in an aircraft without an engine.
7. I wear a way cooler looking leather jacket. With cool shades.
6. I can land in cross AND double cross winds.
5. My BMI is 22.5.
4. Chuck Norris asks me for flying advice.
3. I laugh in the face of danger.
2. I've never crashed an aircraft.
1. I'm just so darn good looking it hurts people's eyes.

Well let me try:

10. I have more epaulets than anyone else.
9. I've landed a glider on just one wheel.
8. I've taken off in an aircraft without an engine.
7. I wear a way cooler looking leather jacket. With cool shades.
6. I can land in cross AND double cross winds.
5. My BMI is 22.5.
4. Chuck Norris asks me for flying advice.
3. I laugh in the face of danger.
2. I've never crashed an aircraft.
1. I'm just so darn good looking it hurts people's eyes.

Not bad. Can anyone else do better?

10. I twice violated the FAA
9. I taught Bobby energy management
8. When I get an over speed indication I write the instrument up.
7. I clear myself to land.
6. I understand the lift coefficient formula.
5. I buy golf balls based on Renolds Number.
4. My PFD has center scale burn through of the Loc and GS.
3. My TCAS gives me discretion for RA's.
2. I turned down Virgin Galactic.
1. I drink Jet A and pee 100LL

1 thru 10: landed a 172 after the engine fell off........from 20 miles out.....floated her in right on the numbers!!!!!!

That's nothing. My wings fell off and I landed it from 35 miles out while still making the first turn off.

10. I twice violated the FAA
9. I taught Bobby energy management
8. When I get an over speed indication I write the instrument up.
7. I clear myself to land.
6. I understand the lift coefficient formula.
4. My PFD has center scale burn through of the Loc and GS.
3. My TCAS gives me discretion for RA's.
2. I turned down Virgin Galactic.
1. I drink Jet A and pee 100LL

Now if you could only do a zoom climb out.

I can think of 20 reasons but I'm not the bragging type.

:ohsnap:

I opened this thread to see how big of an a$$ you were. :lol: ;)

I understand how my post could be seen as ironic, and it was just my initial reaction to why someone would post a thread such as this. I had no intention to offend you, it was simply meant to be a humorous remark (hence the emoticons). I have no wish to get into a heated argument, which I see much too often on this forum.

I do have doubts about my flying as I am an admitted amateur pilot. I came to this thread in hopes of finding 10 things I could do to improve the quality of my pilotage.

Imagine now, the level of my disappointment to find it was only a place for self-aggrandizement. So - it would appear, you caught me in a sophomoric prank, and get the laugh on me. Give your fragile ego one more stroke.

10. I don't need some stupid safety pilot when I am doing foggle work. (pansies).
09. I am so good at planning fuel burn, my engine quits just as I reach the pumps.
08. I give the tower light signals so it knows my intentions.
07. I clear the bravo airspace to surround my aircraft.
06. Sometimes I don't clear it. It gets out of my way.
05. I can squawk pi to 128 digits.
04. The magenta line follows me.
03. Glideslope angles were determined based on analysis of my final legs.
02. My Glide Ratio is 8:1

The number one reason I am a better pilot than you...
Pete Flemming told me I remind him of a younger him

10. I don't need some stupid safety pilot when I am doing foggle work. (pansies).
09. I am so good at planning fuel burn, my engine quits just as I reach the pumps.
08. I give the tower light signals so it knows my intentions.
07. I clear the bravo airspace to surround my aircraft.
06. Sometimes I don't clear it. It gets out of my way.
05. I can squawk pi to 128 digits.
04. The magenta line follows me.
03. Glideslope angles were determined based on analysis of my final legs.
02. My Glide Ratio is 8:1

The number one reason I am a better pilot than you...
Pete Flemming told me I remind him of a younger him

:rofl:

Ahh...you get it. Nice!

Took the wife out for dinner and a beer the other night. I went to the bathroom and returned. When I sat down I told the wife...I am the best looking man in the place...She looked at me...I said....I know because....I just looked in the mirror.....

Tony

I only need one reason.

I don't whine like a sissy girl when someone calls me by name. :D

I opened this thread because I wanted to find out if you really think you're a better pilot than everyone else here, and to see your reasons. I already knew that you're probably a better pilot than I am.

By the way, I wouldn't want to ride with a pilot who didn't have some self doubt.

Last edited:
It's the way I dress......jodhpurs, hi top boots laced up to my knee, leather jacket with fur collar ( even in summer) leather helmet, white shirt with tie. Large leather brief case (stuffed with newspapers and usually a half pint.) big watch, wrap around shades and a riding crop.

Before getting into my airplane, I stop and take a knee and say a prayer. Now if that would not deter you from flying with me, my one seat will....lol

Tony

I built the log cabin I was born in.

I can take off and fly to an airport just a few minutes away with one tank empty and 30 minutes in the other.

And, people complement me on the accuracy of my instruments.

Unfortunately the mentality "why I am a better pilot than you" is one of the things that drives me nuts about aviation. Do I think I'm a good pilot? Yes. Do I think I'm infallible and know the best way of doing everything? No.
In addition to teaching people to fly I learn, even from my students. I try to use best procedures but I'm married to my wife for better or worse, not procedures and techniques.
I will admit that I am still a student pilot and will be until the day I hang up my wings... And probably after that as well.

Now having said that the one mistake I made in flying was the time I thought I was wrong about something. I was actually right, however, so I was mistaken by thinking I was wrong.

Because I have made literally every mistake a pilot could ever make and live to tell about. I'm not going to list details (unless you are genuinely curious) but suffice to say that my worst days probably make you all feel better about yourselves. What I lack in innate skill, I make up for in luck and good fortune :)

To tag onto what Blackhawk said, I do think I am a good pilot, but I have suffered through many bad days to get here. I'm not gifted, and I don't learn from others mistakes. I do think that my bucket of experience has finally surpassed my bucket of luck however.

Last edited:

Well, since Reynolds number is proportional to velocity, I suspect that all your golf balls had a Reynolds number of zero when you bought them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I disagree with #6.

Unfortunately the mentality "why I am a better pilot than you" is one of the things that drives me nuts about aviation. Do I think I'm a good pilot? Yes. Do I think I'm infallible and know the best way of doing everything? No.
In addition to teaching people to fly I learn, even from my students. I try to use best procedures but I'm married to my wife for better or worse, not procedures and techniques.
I will admit that I am still a student pilot and will be until the day I hang up my wings... And probably after that as well.

Now having said that the one mistake I made in flying was the time I thought I was wrong about something. I was actually right, however, so I was mistaken by thinking I was wrong.

It's a light thread. Supposed to be funny. Your last paragraph leads me to believe you knew that.

Well, since Reynolds number is proportional to velocity, I suspect that all your golf balls had a Reynolds number of zero when you bought them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crap...I thought there was a 'y' in Reynolds Number. If I switch tabs to google something I lose my text so I didn't...but I was on the fence. Anyway...I'm just glad some caught that refrence!

I disagree with #6.

What you quoted didn't have a #6. Are you referring to post 6 or my later post list #6 dealing with lift coefficient? If the latter ill just say, 'at one time I KNEW it!'

; )

Back