10 Day Journey in a C172 departing from Boston. Where to go?

bostonpilot55

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brandon
I was originally planning on going to Oshkosh, but I thought it could be more fun to use the money that would have gone into OshKosh logistics (hotel, car, tickets, etc.) for a flying vacation and to build hours towards the commercial minimums.

I am departing from Boston. My leading idea is a flight down the Atlantic coast all the way to Key West. It seems like my other option is to go somewhere in the Mid-West, but I'm not sure it will be a very scenic flight or if there are any interesting destinations.

Looking for this flight to be around 30 hours round-trip.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

....My leading idea is a flight down the Atlantic coast all the way to Key West....

Cheers

ya....do it! hudson river exclusion, maybe atlantic city, first flight, myrtle, charleston, hilton head, savannah, sheesh, should I keep going?

Next year I retire and I plan a long flying vacation. I have planned for 2-4 hour flights in the morning between cities and then stay in the city for a day and a half before moving on. I'll extend for weather of leave early if I'm bored. My advice is get out a map and plot your flights to end up in places that you would like to see each night. Make the trip about the destination not the journey. Gee, that sounds corny.

Next year I retire and I plan a long flying vacation. I have planned for 2-4 hour flights in the morning between cities and then stay in the city for a day and a half before moving on. I'll extend for weather of leave early if I'm bored. My advice is get out a map and plot your flights to end up in places that you would like to see each night. Make the trip about the destination not the journey. Gee, that sounds corny.

don't you mean the opposite?

In your case, I'd start by going to Cooperstown and then on to Niagara Falls. Then either Pittsburg or Gettysburg before heading to Charlottesville or Richmond and, of course, First Flight airport. By then you are near the south end of the mountains and can extend west. Chattanooga or Atlanta, then Nashville and Memphis; then New Orleans and fly the Gulf Coast all the way to Key west visiting beach resorts.

don't you mean the opposite?

NO, flying cross country can be boring. Go some place that you are excited about to break up the boredom.

I think you should fly to locations where you can meet people in here and spend the night at a different pilot's house.
See how far you can make it.
Anyone live near an airport who can be his first stop?

I think you should fly to locations where you can meet people in here and spend the night at a different pilot's house.
See how far you can make it.
Anyone live near an airport who can be his first stop?

:popcorn: :biggrin:

Fly down the coast to Florida. Or up the coast to Nova Scotia or Maine.

ya....do it! hudson river exclusion, maybe atlantic city, first flight, myrtle, charleston, hilton head, savannah, sheesh, should I keep going?
i think you forgot to mention the low pass at the shuttle landing facility!

but thanks to everybody for all the input.

Traffic in Boston sucks. You will only have a few hors of flight time if you have 10 days. You will need 4.75 days to get to the airport and 4.75 days to get back so that leaves you with a half day for the air.

What is this low pass at NASA you guys speak of?

The trip from the Berkshires west has lots of terrain. The ridges in PA are cool; we used to drive from Western Mass to Central PA to visit grandparents as kids. Never dreamt I'd be landing in those hills one day. Highly recommend the Finger Lakes area and especially the gorge at Watkins Glen -it is amazing and free. You could extend from Niagara falls around the southern edge of Erie, through King James' town. Stop at Put-in-Bay, then continue into the UP to Mackinac Island.

Outer Banks on down to the Keys would also be sweet, but you're used to coastal flying.

And if your on floats don't miss Henry's resturant and the fish sandwich at frying pan island , sans souci , georgian bay Ontario . Beautiful county! Not much going on in jamestown n.y. Nafta ruined it.

Fly out to the Air Force museum ,in Dayton,then head back over to the coast,start at Georgia and work your way up the coast,some great stops on the way,cape may,Atlantic city ,Long Island.

I concur re East Coast -- Hudson exclusion, land at College Park and visit DC, get down to the NC outer banks. With only 10 days, I would recommend not going all the way to Key West and back, just so that you can stop and enjoy the sights a bit more. Maybe fly inland on the way back, see some of the prettier "mountain" (if we can call them that out East) areas, stop in State College for Penn State Creamery ice cream, etc.

Hudson and NC Outer Banks for sure.

@CC268 - The tower at the Shuttle Landing Facility at Cape Canaveral (KTTS) will approve low approaches on request. It's surprisingly fun to overfly.

Boston, Niagra Falls NY, Dayton Ohio, Tullahoma Tenn, Kitty Hawk, Boston.

Get out to Buffalo, the next morning takeoff then
Circle the falls and keep going.
Dayton has the AF museum, need a whole day plus there. Nice country airport south of town.
Tullahoma has the Beechcraft Museum.
Kitty Hawk is self explanatory.
Fly the Hudson Corridor past NYC on the way home.

@CC268 - The tower at the Shuttle Landing Facility at Cape Canaveral (KTTS) will approve low approaches on request. It's surprisingly fun to overfly.

Back in '81' or early '82 I was TDY to Patrick AFB and did a CFI renewal w/ a local DPE. After we did our stuff he asked if I wanted to fly over the shuttle strip (15,000; strip btw lol) and I said hell yes! We were lucky as I think it was the second shuttle was sitting atop the NASA 747 having just returned to KSC. Later did an actual tour of the facility which was very cool and enjoyable. Don't know if they still have tours though.

The trip from the Berkshires west has lots of terrain. The ridges in PA are cool; we used to drive from Western Mass to Central PA to visit grandparents as kids. Never dreamt I'd be landing in those hills one day. Highly recommend the Finger Lakes area and especially the gorge at Watkins Glen -it is amazing and free. You could extend from Niagara falls around the southern edge of Erie, through King James' town. Stop at Put-in-Bay, then continue into the UP to Mackinac Island.

Outer Banks on down to the Keys would also be sweet, but you're used to coastal flying.
Thanks for your input.

Boston, Niagra Falls NY, Dayton Ohio, Tullahoma Tenn, Kitty Hawk, Boston.

Get out to Buffalo, the next morning takeoff then
Circle the falls and keep going.
Dayton has the AF museum, need a whole day plus there. Nice country airport south of town.
Tullahoma has the Beechcraft Museum.
Kitty Hawk is self explanatory.
Fly the Hudson Corridor past NYC on the way home.
Great thank you, I'm looking into these now.

Hmm interesting sounds cool!

No need for a hotel or rental car at OSH. You should be able to enjoy a few days, camp, etc for less than $300. Flying is definitely the more expensive part.

Fly her down the east coast and into FL

Consider doing the DC SFRA teaining before you leave, the area covers a lot of ground! My home airport sits right on the edge, so it's required but it's an easy course.
The airport at Ocean city, md is fun. If you depart off the right runway you fly over the ocean a little. That's where we did my instrument long xc, cheap fuel too usually.

Will the flight school charge you a minimum hours for each day?

There are a lot of great suggestion already. The following would definitely on my list, ...
... if going South to Florida:
> Hudson River Exclusion (by day and night)
> First Flight Airport / Kitty Hawk
> Outer Banks
> Myrtle Beach
> Charleston
On the return you may want to consider flying Florida's Westcoast and fly along the Appalachian Mountains:
> Cedar Key
> Asheville
> Luray Caverns

... if going North / West
> Five Finger Lake-Area
> Niagara Falls (get familiar with the local route @ 3,500 over the Falls!)
> Toronto
> Novia Scotia
> Maine

Either way, you will have fun!! And we are looking forward to hear what you did during your tour and expect some pictures... :):D:)

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I've got a rough itinerary and will post pictures in 2 weeks!

Cant offer you much other than a free lunch and some pilot talk at CXY but shoot me a PM if you find yourself needing fuel around central PA!

Back