10/21...My aviation filled day

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
Well I had an aviation filled day today.

1st....Airmarking at OCW. Much fun and awesome airport staff.

2nd...Hot air balloon chase crew. I used to crew 10 years ago. This afternoon on the way home from the airmarking I saw a spec in the sky. Ah a hot air balloon. Let me see if my skills are still up to par. They were. :D I probably saw the balloon about 20 miles out and found where they landed...well 1st I caught up with the chase crew and helped them find their way around town. (since this was my side of town....they are from North Raleigh). I thought it was going to be an ash scattering flight since a crew member of ours died earlier this week...funeral was yesterday. :( Oddly enough I saw the widow and the kids of my friend on the chase. I felt bad asking but it was not an ash scattering flight. Man the ballooning community (which is smaller than fixed wing and rotocraft) has taken a direct hit this past few weeks. I mean between my friends house burning down (it exploded) and my friend dying of cancer its been busy for me.

Here are some pics:

1. Airmarking

2 & Beyond: Balloons

Attachments

• OCWBallooning 013.jpg
    OCWBallooning 013.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 50
  • OCWBallooning 019.jpg
    OCWBallooning 019.jpg
    688.1 KB · Views: 22
  • OCWBallooning 024.jpg
    OCWBallooning 024.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 10
  • OCWBallooning 025.jpg
    OCWBallooning 025.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 18
Awww sorry to hear about your cold Tim.

Oh yeah not to mention 3 girls from our 99's ended up scoring a free ride in a cirrus to OCW.

If I had gone in the cirrus I prolly wouldnt have seen the balloon.

It was funny...I was thinking about Elizabeth (and this was going down as she was soloing) when I took these pics. I haven't crewed for this guy in like 10 years. He was happy to see me. Hehe.

Well assuming I get better I have an Angel Flight on the 7th, so I'll be able to get back in the air again.

Wow, that first balloon picture is awesome! That must be one of those aerobatic balloons. I had no idea you could bank a balloon that far.

What's airmarking?

cwyckham said:
Wow, that first balloon picture is awesome! That must be one of those aerobatic balloons. I had no idea you could bank a balloon that far.

What's airmarking?

Hah hah hah...I forgot to upright the picture. I will work on that later though.

An airmarking is done by the 99's. If you fly to an airport and there are yellow letters painted on the tarmac more than likely a 99's group did it. They are a lot of fun. My 99s chapter (Kitty Hawk 99's) have done LHZ, HRJ, FFA, Ocracoke, OCW and others.

Last edited:
airmarking sounds fun. I have not done that yet.

sounds like you had a great day, wow. I've never crewed before... now having seen balloons twice this year I'd love to try it.

HPNFlyGirl said:

An airmarking is done by the 99's. If you fly to an airport and there are yellow letters painted on the tarmac more than likely a 99's group did it. They are a lot of fun. My 99s chapter (Kitty Hawk 99's) have done LHX, HRJ, FFA, Ocracoke, OCW and others.

That's interesting. I assume your marking the airport name? That'll save landing, buying gas, and checking the receipt to see where I am when I get lost.

Chris

Ugh this is the 2nd time I put in the wrong code for an airport around here. I thinK I need to stick to spelling them out. :rolleyes: Yeah you have a good point there Chris.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Often times crewing (a few times...not on the 1st time) will lead to free balloon rides. :)
:yes:

I enjoyed the time I spent being part of a chase crew... as well as the couple balloon rides I took.

You know, I think this is EXACTLY what the FAA is looking for when we are supposed to be teaching "Lost Procedures" :)

cwyckham said:
That's interesting. I assume your marking the airport name? That'll save landing, buying gas, and checking the receipt to see where I am when I get lost.

Chris

tonycondon said:
You know, I think this is EXACTLY what the FAA is looking for when we are supposed to be teaching "Lost Procedures" :)

Tony,

Listen to Pilotcast episode #25 with Rinker Buck. He talks about the half of the Flight of Passage story that wasn't told, the return home. They went through Texas and over to Pensacola and while there they were lamenting the amount of money spent on charts, so one guy said "Well, don't worry, there's a pipeline a few miles north of here that you can follow all the way up to New Jersey." So that's what they did! He talks about how he'd try to figure out from the locals by talking to them just where the heck they were! :eek: :D

HPNFlyGirl said:
Hah hah hah...I forgot to upright the picture. I will work on that later though.

An airmarking is done by the 99's. If you fly to an airport and there are yellow letters painted on the tarmac more than likely a 99's group did it. They are a lot of fun. My 99s chapter (Kitty Hawk 99's) have done LHZ, HRJ, FFA, Ocracoke, OCW and others.

Our Airmarkings in MI were always blue and white compass roses. Do you do the rose too or just big yellow airport names?

Missa

Missa said:
Our Airmarkings in MI were always blue and white compass roses. Do you do the rose too or just big yellow airport names?

Missa

Yeah we do compass roses too. The airports we have done lately there is nowhere to put a compass rose. They are "special" projects. Kind of like...they have to be so far from a building, no powerlines near by (above or under ground) and stuff like that, so you can swing your compass.

Were you able to strafe a few of those birage dirigibles?

:D

yea kent, read the book and heard the pilotcast. funny stuff, too bad you really cant do that anymore. darn controlled airspace and restricted/prohibited/get shot down by an F16 areas.

Back