$10,000 to get off Delta flight

No, I am not missing this.

But most likely the $1500 Diamond Medallion has a seat assignment the $200 Basic Economy does not. IIRC, Basic Economy cannot pre-select a seat.
Very common for a Diamond to have a seat request card. I frequently booked flights a few hours before it left. All reservable seats were gone. Got a seat request card, usually had a seat assignment before I got to the gate. Most of the time, it works the way you are describing and all the bumps happen to passengers that have not boarded yet. However, there are exceptions and that's when the $750 might not cut it. I once was connecting to an international flight, in business, roughly a $10k ticket. There was a weather disruption and I got rerouted onto a flight that had already commenced boarding. They ended up pulling a seated passenger to get me on. Again, it rarely happens, but when it does, giving the gate agent some discretion to solve it with money, makes it a lot easier.

One time, family and I were flying LAX-PPT (Tahiti) on Air Tahiti Nui (A340).

There was a person whom I presumed to be a non-rev in the jump seat at the aft (directly opposite the right-side lav, like, 4' from knees to potty door).

Making idle conversation while waiting for the lav when we were about 30 minutes out, I commented something to the effect of, "the things we do for non-rev travel..." and she told me, "I am NOT non-rev!" Turns out she had to be in Tahiti for a wedding, the airline oversold and told her they did not have a seat for her. I'm guessing she was persuasive enough to talk her way onto the plane. Don't believe that would have happened on a US carrier (or that it was legal). She was not an airline employee.

I forget how long the flight is, but it's around 8 hours. Service (for those of us in actual seats) was great.

There's still something I'm not getting. Put FAM trips aside. Do FA's 'commute' to work on flights like pilots do? If yes, why the prohibition on an FA doing it in the cockpit? If I've read along here right, it sounds like 'commuting' pilots can, but commuting FA's cannot. I'm trying to figure out what the logic would be for that.
Note that in the case of the flight I was on, this wasn't a flight attendant "commuting." She was CLT based, but her last flight didn't get her home so she's supposed to by contract have a confirmed seat. Commuting implies people like my neighbor, is based at an airport other than where he lives, who have to non-rev at his own risk to where he's technically based.

I have extensive personal experience with this. In March of 2021, I couldn't select a specific seat, but I was assigned one when I did the check-in 24 hours before and got my boarding pass. Only once did I ever get my seat changed at the gate, and it was to move me to a further forward seat. By July, Delta allowed me to select a seat free of charge with Basic Economy when I booked my ticket online, and for the next two flights, I was always able to pick my seat, and they still allow it as of two weeks ago.

Do you have status with them?

From their website:

"With Basic Economy, you’ll experience:

• No seat(s) assigned until after check-in"

Do you have status with them?

From their website:

"With Basic Economy, you’ll experience:

• No seat(s) assigned until after check-in"

Nope, I don't. I don't fly commercial enough for that. :)

Back