1 month dry lease on a C172 or similar?

mcoflyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
mcoflyer
I'm going to be doing some time-building in the spring to be able to reach the minimums for my commercial.

A C172 or Cherokee is the smallest thing I will fly (6'1" and 240lb) so instead of finding somewhere to rent a plane I was wondering if it's ever been done to lease an airplane from an owner who doesn't fly much or can go 1 month without flying in exchange for some $$$.

I would pay for the fuel+oil and get my own insurance, and the owner would still be responsible if something breaks (as long as it's not the pilots fault).

Is this unheard of or are there people out there willing to do it? Also, what kind of restrictions would I face from the FAA? 100 hour inspection etc???

Give us the area you are looking for the airplane. Look for aircraft for sale ,you may work out a deal ,waiting for the plane to sell.

Give us the area you are looking for the airplane. Look for aircraft for sale ,you may work out a deal ,waiting for the plane to sell.

+1 To this idea. Recent hours on an aircraft HELP with the sale.

If you were in my area (Tennessee) I would consider it, pending a logbook review and a check ride with me and with a CFI of my choosing.

BTW, add the Socata Tampico (TB-9) to your list. I'm 6'1" and over 300 pounds. The plane is built for comfort, not for speed. It has gull wing doors that make it easy for you to get in and out. It is a great aircraft to build hours in. It is a low wing, 4 seat aircraft, but like a 172 and Cherokee it is really a 2+2. 105 knot cruise. 160 HP Lycoming O-320 with a fixed pitch prop. Fixed landing gear.

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/Aircraft-Ownership/Aircraft-Fact-Sheets/Socata-TB9.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOCATA_TB_family

http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/air...le-engine-aircraft/socata-tampico-tb9-gt.html

-Jim

It doesn't have to be in Central Florida. I can fly anywhere (preferably within a 200-300nm radius) and just tie down the plane at an airport by where I live for the month I lease it. I'm pretty sure I could get a free tie down as long as I buy fuel there on an almost daily basis while I fly it.

Right now I have about 110 hours. About 100 in a C172, and the rest in a Comanche250 and a Piper Lance. By the time i'm ready to do this in the spring i'll have around 130-140 and my IR done. I'd probably find someone to do it with (safety pilot time) in order to reduce expenses even more.

Paging Dr. Henning... Dr. Henning to the "someone might pay money fly your 310" courtesy phone....

Not really interested in paying to build time in a multi at this point.

But who is Dr Henning?

Me, but the Dr part is a joke. Regardless, it wouldn't work out lol.

None the less, the OP could benefit from your well developed tracts of....

I meant to say contact network....

On the typical dry lease you're going to cover the annuals and 100hrs, you wear the tires you replace them, etc

The lessor will cover Overhaul.

Best bet go search all the N numbers in your area on the FAA site and send out letters, ask around the airport etc.

There are some companies (one big one in OK) that lease out trainers, doubt they would be game for a one monther though.

It could be reduced to 2 weeks, I would just have to fly 6-7 hours a day to make it work, but still possible.

For giggles, what sort of $$/hr rate are you considering?

Well, I pay $58 per tach hour dry right now...so something lower then that :)

But the $58 per hour means I pay ONLY for fuel. So it can be arranged either way.

Think it's possible?

Well here ya go

They will probably want a minimum amount of hours a month and they might want more then a one month commitment.

Christiansen Aviation Inc. began leasing aircraft in 1985. Since then, we have become one of the largest single engine Cessna owners in the country. We currently lease aircraft to universities and proprietary flight schools nationwide. Call or E-mail Bill Christiansen or Alisa for more information. You can also reach us at 918-298-1381.

• Lease by the hour
• Flexible terms to meet your needs
• Seasonal considerations
• Aircraft offered:

Cessna 152
Cessna 172N & P
Cessna 172R
Cessna 172SP
Cessna 172 RG
Beech Duchess
Piper Seminole
Piper Warrior