1-85 closed due to downed plane in Durham, NC

HPNFlyGirl

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iBrookieMonster
This just in from WRAL:

www.wral.com

I-85 South is closed because a plane is on the roadway near Red Mill Road. Officials couldn't say if it crashed.

I bet it was a plane from Empire Aviation.

This just in from WRAL:

www.wral.com

I-85 South is closed because a plane is on the roadway near Red Mill Road. Officials couldn't say if it crashed.

I bet it was a plane from Empire Aviation.

Isn't there a fairly busy grass strip right about that spot, on the lake? This is from memory, when we thought we'd be moving out there. Red Mill Road seems to ring a bell...

man, tough day....crane in manhattan, TACA in El Salvador (woops, Honduras), G.A plane down in Ohio, another down on a golf course (wisconsin???), and now this in NC.

y'all be careful out there!

Last edited:
Isn't there a fairly busy grass strip right about that spot, on the lake? This is from memory, when we thought we'd be moving out there. Red Mill Road seems to ring a bell...
Yep - Lake Ridge Aero is right there. The Cub in the crash is registered to the person that's the contact name for the airport. It wasn't one of Empire's planes. Dang. Hope he comes out of this ok. :(

man, tough day....crane in manhattan, TACA in El Salvador, G.A plane down in Ohio, another down on a golf course (wisconsin???), and now this on NC.

y'all be careful out there!

I just read the Wisconsin story-- The article says it was a 34-yr-old pilot flying a Cessna 150 from Mitchell International (MKE) to Waukesha (UES) when it had engine trouble & landed on the 18th hole of a golf course in New Berlin. The pilot walked away. I find it ironic that the last name of the police officer quoted in the article is "Glider."

The pilot is the plane's owner, Richard Fuller. He's in critical condition. He was landing on 14 and clipped the tall, tall trees right there at the interstate on very short final. After he clipped the trees, the plane pitched forward and nose-dived the last 75' (or however far it is).

Back