1-10 Condition Scales

kontiki

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Kontiki
Anybody know of a standard that i can use as a guide to rate the interior and paint job of an airplane? I ned to convince an insurance company.

subjective but my personal scale is:

10: oshkosh lindy winners
9: nicest airshow and museum restorations you've ever seen
8:factory-new
7: nicest quality paint job you've seen after a few months in service
6-7: my beech travel air <===
4-6: the better half of the planes at your airport
0.1 my pawnee after it's annual wash job

10--My plane when I want to sell it.

1--Their plane when I want to buy it.

I agree with Douglas always rated high by the seller and low by the buyer.

Yeah, what they said...I am looking at planes and what they rate as a 7 paint job is actually like a 3...and same with interior.

To me a 10 in the real world is one that has a quality repaint in the last 12 months or so, and hangared. A 9 maybe for 12-24 month old quality paint jobs. When people advertise paint and interior as a 9 or 10 and the date of replacement is 7 years ago, I am a little skeptical. ;)
To me a 7-8 is a paint that you are still proud of, had a few nicks and touch ups, but won't need painting for 5+ years.
6's can be old paint that still looks good, just starting to fade a bit in spots.
5's are usually 20 foot paint jobs, any closer and you can see they need painting.
1-4 needs paint, some worse than others.
If a seller ever describes the paint or interior as less than a 6 it probably has an animal living inside and four shades of primer on the outside. :mad2:
Interior, freshly done by good shop should be a 10, 2 years later it's probably a 9. 7-8 is good servicable interior that you are proud to show your friends. 5-6 needs some dressing up, maybe cracks in the leather, or tears in the pilot seat, carpet could use replacing.
1-4.5 needs interior. ;)

are usually 20 foot paint jobs, any closer and you can see they need painting.

The distance standard is a pretty good one:
Think in terms of looking at the plane from different distances.
From 10 feet away, can you see any concerns?
From 4 feet away, can you see any concerns?
From 1 foot away, running your hand across the surface, and viewing it from different angles can you see any concerns?

I always wondered when the add says always hangered when did it ever fly.also just read an ad that said airplane had hard paint .as opposed to soft paint I guess.

Realistically,
10= Looks like brand new
9= Very good condition. Some very minor signs of wear
8= Typical used airplane - Better than most rentals.
7= Typical old airplane - Typical rental - Faded paint and worn interior
6= Poor paint, worn out interior
1-5: Rating categories technically exist, but never actually used.

Aircraft Blue Book is used by most banks as a price guide, and is one of the reference sources favored by insurance companies. Each edition contains a detailed description of the grading methodology used in their publications.

From a credibility standpoint I'd recommend including their rating system as a part of your value calculation and report.

Back