iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
This is not my usual weird question thread. I am just reporting for no reason at all that, last weekend, I logged my 1,000th hour of flight. I had to retrieve our 1941 J-3 from the farm for its annual inspection last weekend. It was 22F on the ground and not warmer at 5500 MSL (3000 AGL, give or take), over an early blanket of snow the whole 1.4 hours. I landed in 12G19 winds almost directly across the runway, which was made more challenging by not having flown the Cub nearly enough in the past 3 years. It's the same Cub I logged my first hour in back in November 2014 (just an introductory flight, with my next lesson being in August 2015) and my first solo in October 2015.

I now have 74 hours in the Cub, 200 in my RV-14 (I crossed that threshold the prior weekend), and 195 multi. I have 117 hours of dual received, 817 hours cross country, 97 hours night, 40 actual IMC, and 498 hours solo. I've logged 1140 landings, 118 approaches, 20 spin recoveries, and a bunch of other random things I keep track of for some reason. I have logged time in 20 different tail numbers. I've landed at 156 different airports in 20 different states. I've flown the Fisk arrival to a successful landing twice, and more laps around Green Lake than I could count if I wanted to.

Congrats. I also recently surpassed 1000 hours. No cub though.

You on the road to 1500 or just for funsies?

I don’t know, really. I’m just winging it…….eh? See what I did there?

But I did just get my first rejection letter lol. Can’t imagine why:

Total flight time: 3500 hours min.
• Multi Engine Land (MEL): 1500 hours min.
• Pilot in Command: 2000 hours min.
• PIC MEL: 500 hours min.
• Instrument: 300 hours min.
• Jet: 500 hours min.

But at least they responded.

Rejection builds character! They don’t know what they missed out on… tsk tsk

Honestly, that far below advertised requirements, I’d would have just thrown it in the trash.

This is not my usual weird question thread. I am just reporting for no reason at all that, last weekend, I logged my 1,000th hour of flight. I had to retrieve our 1941 J-3 from the farm for its annual inspection last weekend. It was 22F on the ground and not warmer at 5500 MSL (3000 AGL, give or take), over an early blanket of snow the whole 1.4 hours. I landed in 12G19 winds almost directly across the runway, which was made more challenging by not having flown the Cub nearly enough in the past 3 years. It's the same Cub I logged my first hour in back in November 2014 (just an introductory flight, with my next lesson being in August 2015) and my first solo in October 2015.

I now have 74 hours in the Cub, 200 in my RV-14 (I crossed that threshold the prior weekend), and 195 multi. I have 117 hours of dual received, 817 hours cross country, 97 hours night, 40 actual IMC, and 498 hours solo. I've logged 1140 landings, 118 approaches, 20 spin recoveries, and a bunch of other random things I keep track of for some reason. I have logged time in 20 different tail numbers. I've landed at 156 different airports in 20 different states. I've flown the Fisk arrival to a successful landing twice, and more laps around Green Lake than I could count if I wanted to.
Congratulations,
That is a impressive list of accomplishments in 1000 hrs.

Do hours spent singing “Jet” by Wings count toward the 500 total?

I still have some really nice rejection letters that were typed on a typewriter.

You would think with email and all that a simple email rejection would suffice instead of silence.
I usually do spend the time to respond to every resume I receive. But when they are responding to an ad that clearly states that it is for a Part 135 position with prior turbine PIC preferred, and the ink is still wet on their 250 hour commercial, it gets a little frustrating. As an operator of PC-12’s, I know they are hoping that we need SIC’s, but we would fill those positions with the local kids we knew, not the from latest litter from the Florida puppy mill.

Fortunately for me, I left that position a couple of months back, so the caliber of Pilot I will be looking for in the future will be a little bit higher.

Wait, you all are getting letters?

Congrats on the milestone!

Congrats.

A few years ago when I had my engine failure and the FAA wanted some copies of things from my logbook (last page showing total hours and my last BFR), I decided to get around to totaling up all the pages. I found I had flipped over 1000 hours sometime. I worked my way back to find out what my 1000th hour was (officially, I have lots of unlogged time) and found it was when I was flying with one of the RCAF Snowbirds.

Back