0hrs-PPL in 1.5 Months

bigblockz8

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gore
I don't have 0 but may as well. I have not flown in a year and due to procrastinating in getting my PPL, I have one and a half months to do so. I will then end up with a month to do it in thanks to two wisdom tooth extractions coming up.

Any advice on how to achieve the PPL goal in such a short time? I plan on flying like crazy and have the funds to ensure that there won't be a break.

Is it even possible? Can it be done?

I have my written passed and my medical is still valid. I'm flying where I "work" so I'm right there and know the CFIs well. I interview nine flight schools and two laughed at my goal (understandably).

Why a month?
I have 1.5 months because I took all of the possible courses that don't require a ppl in school. Upon completion of this semester I will be unable to register for classes because the prerequisites include a private cert. I could wait until next spring to do school again but that will entice me to never finish. I was given a date of May 6th to submit my pilot certificate for the 6 credits and to satisfy my prerequisites.
The wisdom teeth extractions take a few weeks. I want to have a safety net in case of dry socket which I have had before. No fun flying like that.

Best case, 1.5months. Worst case, 1 month.

I soloed with 8 hours on June 29 and passed my check ride on August 5th. Had 42 hours post check. You need to plan on flying every day. It can be done.

You won't make it if you keep using excuses like wisdom teeth. :no:

Set your priorities in life, formulate a plan, execute the plan. Cycle repeat. We have enough procrastinators in this world. ;)

Last edited:
Can be done. I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out at the same time. Didn't let them put me under, no follow up drugs, I would have wanted the 2 days after off from flying. Wasn't a big deal.

Can be done. I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth taken out at the same time. Didn't let them put me under, no follow up drugs, I would have wanted the 2 days after off from flying. Wasn't a big deal.

This can be done. Find the right oral surgeon. There is such a disparity of folks out there...

You can do it, I knocked out my ppl in 30 days of leave--I did shop around for instructors beforehand til I found one that believed it could be done in 30 days. Tell him or her that you plan on doing it in 30 days and if they hem and haw, look for someone else. As I recal I did 2 hops a day and overall it took 50 hours.

I think if they don't need to be dug out then very possible just to use a lot of Novocain and no gas to pull them out. Haven't had my wisdom out but had 4 adult molers pulled with just Novocain and was fine the next day.

I have a friend who did it in that time frame, so it's definitely possible if you put in the effort and have an instructor who is committed to getting it done quickly. My experience was that some CFIs aren't receptive to people wanting to get finished in a short time span.

I would be concerned about weather and plane maintenance screwing up your plans. You don't have a lot of spare time to be grounded for those reasons. You might be able to help avoid the latter issue by picking a place where a plane or two down for repairs isn't going to halt your training.

I've taken a few students through accelerated programs. The key is to get on your written studying immediately so that doesn't become a hold-up. The longer you procrastinate on it the bigger the hurdle it becomes. Get it out of the way by the time you solo and you'll be good to go. Once you solo, things progress very quickly with cross-countries, night and instrument training. Get'er done!

I got my nephew his in 45 days, taught a dedicated young woman in 60 days.

Get an instructor who can make the schedule work. Optimize your training schedule so you punch as many tickets per flight as possible.

Did mine in three Monts and one day, while rocking full time (more than full time, actually, since I own the business). If not working, I certainly could have done it in under a month.

Got my PP in 6 weeks and 60 hours with a brand new CFII. He was 20 yrs old, I was 38. Just do it. Ensure they have at least three like aircraft because one will always break or be down for maintenance. Also make sure they don't have ridiculous weather minimums. We could not fly with less than 3,000 clg/less than 5 miles/greater than 10 kts. I can understand that requirement for solo, but one really needs to fly with an instructor during some marginal wx instead of waiting until you are on your own.

It can be done, but it will take dedication and commitment on the part of both trainee and instructor, as well as an instructor with a good plan.

I think if they don't need to be dug out then very possible just to use a lot of Novocain and no gas to pull them out. Haven't had my wisdom out but had 4 adult molers pulled with just Novocain and was fine the next day.

I went to the dentist, 2hrs later was in an oral surgeons chair. Drove myself there, drove myself home. Other than trying to swallow my toungue because my entire mouth was numb and lots of bleeding the first day, it wasn't a big deal. The gas freaks me out, I didn't take it. The scariest part was he put some headphones on me and asked what station I wanted, I told him the talk radio station, he replied "we don't get that here" put it on something else and proceeded to bash Bush to his assistant for the duration of the procedure.

Did mine in three Monts and one day, while rocking full time (more than full time, actually, since I own the business). If not working, I certainly could have done it in under a month.

:rockon::rockon::rockon: on tour with the Crüe?

I've taken a few students through accelerated programs. The key is to get on your written studying immediately so that doesn't become a hold-up. The longer you procrastinate on it the bigger the hurdle it becomes. Get it out of the way by the time you solo and you'll be good to go. Once you solo, things progress very quickly with cross-countries, night and instrument training. Get'er done!

Did you not read the OP's first post?

The only way you'll pull it off in a month is if: the wx is good, the airplane doesn't break, and the instructor can literally dedicate himself to you full-time and you can do the same.

My suggestion: Get off PoA and go flying. :rofl:

I got mine done in 3 months and that was when I was only able to be in town every other weekend. If you can fly every day you'll do just fine in under a month.

I did mine in 2 months flying 3-4 times a week and had a week or two of down time for weather in there. The trick if you want to call it that is to fly regularly and give yourself 1 day between flights if possible. You can study for your oral and written material on the no flight days and even give yourself 2 days off a week, and still finish it off in 6 weeks assuming you are a quick learner.

An accelerated training program can have you done in two weeks - but you pretty much do nothing else for that time.

I did mine in 2 months flying 3-4 times a week and had a week or two of down time for weather in there. The trick if you want to call it that is to fly regularly and give yourself 1 day between flights if possible. You can study for your oral and written material on the no flight days and even give yourself 2 days off a week, and still finish it off in 6 weeks assuming you are a quick learner.

Or schedule every day, and use the days you can't fly due to maintenance or weather for studying and ground topics.

I did mine in 40 days. I flew 3-4 times a week and almost every lesson was 1.5-2.0 flying time. That was in SoCal in July/August so the weather was not a factor. Don

I don't have 0 but may as well. I have not flown in a year and due to procrastinating in getting my PPL, I have one and a half months to do so. I will then end up with a month to do it in thanks to two wisdom tooth extractions coming up.

Any advice on how to achieve the PPL goal in such a short time? I plan on flying like crazy and have the funds to ensure that there won't be a break.

I second the notion of being on the schedule every day, and when you can't go for one reason or another, study for your written, and when/if that's done, polish yourself up for the oral.

In regards to whether it can be done--I definitely think so, especially because you're young (like me!). The two instructors I worked with both train older folks as well, and they both told me separately that the difference between learning these skills when you're old and when you're young is huge. You'll be able to pick things up and remember them easily. It should definitely be doable, assuming it doesn't rain for two of those weeks.

I have my written passed and my medical is still valid. I'm flying where I "work" so I'm right there and know the CFIs well. I interview nine flight schools and two laughed at my goal (understandably).
So where's the problem? You have the written done, you have a valid medical cert, and you need to get it done. Even if you were at 0 hours, if you fly a couple of hours every day you'll be able to do it. You only need the CFI for part of it after you solo.

Assuming (as Jesse mentioned) the weather doesn't go to crap for extended periods and you have an airworthy plane to fly, the only two things you need to do are plan and fly.

As for the wisdom teeth... have the doc use a local anesthetic and stay off the no-no drugs, you can cut the non-flying recovery time way down.

A friend of mine got his in a little over two weeks. Zero to hero in that amount of time. Not saying I'm a huge fan of the accelerated cram courses, but it can be done, doubly true for someone in your situation.

Back