0B5 VOR-A question

airheadpenguin

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
airheadpenguin
I was flying from KASH to 0B5 the other day, filed KASH GDM 0B5 but got KASH EEN 0B5.

I was flying a PA-28 /U, unless I've misunderstood something in my training that's not a legal clearance since EEN isn't an IAF/IF for the approach. I wasn't worried since the clearance was just to deal with clouds at KASH, but am I missing something here?

My thought is that KASH EEN YIDPU 0B5 would have been legal since the plate shows you end up at an IAF and can get down lost comms.

http://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1308/pdf/06107VA.PDF

Last edited:
I was flying from KASH to 0B5 the other day, filed KASH GDM 0B5 but got KASH EEN 0B5.

I was flying a PA-28 /U, unless I've misunderstood something in my training that's not a legal clearance since EEN isn't an IAF/IF for the approach. I wasn't worried since the clearance was just to deal with clouds at KASH, but am I missing something here?

My thought is that KASH EEN YIDPU 0B5 would have been legal since the plate shows you end up at an IAF and can get down lost comms.

It's a perfectly legit clearance, and would be even if there was no feeder route from EEN. Since there was no need for an IAP at 0B5 its a non-issue.

So how do I navigate /U from EEN to 0B5 lost comms? Is there an expectation that I'd go to YIDPU?

So how do I navigate /U from EEN to 0B5 lost comms?
Via the published feeder, same as you'd be expected to fly if you didn't lose comms.

Is there an expectation that I'd go to YIDPU?
Yes, a feeder is like an extension of the SIAP in that it's mandatory. But until you reach the IAF you have to abide by the altitude rules in 91.185(c)(2) when you're lost comm.

dtuuri

So how do I navigate /U from EEN to 0B5 lost comms? Is there an expectation that I'd go to YIDPU?
You do whatever you need to. Normally by the book you'd revert to your flight plan route if the last clearance wasn't going to do the job but I don't see any reason why you can't get a little creative if that gets you on the ground an out of the system more quickly. If there's a VOR nearby you might fly to that and start the approach from there. Or if it was obvious that you would intercept a feeder on your present heading you might do that. This is in the flatlands where there's nothing to run into. In the mountains you'd better always be on a route that will work when the radio quits unless you have an IFR GPS and excellent terrain knowledge.

If, as you said, the clearance was just to deal with clouds at KASH, you'd continue the flight under VFR and land as soon as practicable. Probably at 0B5.

Since EEN is a fix from which a route you can fly to the IAF with the equipment you have on board exists (the EEN R194 transition route), that is a route you can legally accept. Were you to lose comm, you would be expected to proceed from EEN (a fix from which an approach does not begin) to YIPDU (a fix from which an approach does begin) and proceed through the approach from there.

You could accept that, too, but since you have the means to proceed from EEN to YIPDU on your own, what they gave you is OK.

Back