06/22/2018 - I had a terrific day in the Cub. How was your flight?

View attachment 64274

That's way worse than AKTITPA, or whatever y'all call it.
It depends how many times you say it. I heard this on May 22, from an airport with no other traffic talking the entire time. And this is not an exaggeration, at all. I could not have done a parody of this situation that would have any hope of being more excessive than the actual radio calls I heard that day. Location, type, and tail number are fictitious to protect the innocent...

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo, 20 miles south, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo, 10 miles south, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo, 5 miles out, planning to enter on a left downwind for runway 31, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo, entering left downwind for runway 31, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo is passing midfield on the left downwind for runway 31, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo is turning downwind to left base for runway 31, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo is on a 2-mike final for runway 31, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo is on a short final for runway 31...(transmission cuts off as he releases the PTT, whereupon I say to myself, “Don’t say it, please don’t...” and then he pushes the PTT to add)...any traffic in the area please advise.

It depends how many times you say it. I heard this on May 22, from an airport with no other traffic talking the entire time. And this is not an exaggeration, at all. I could not have done a parody of this situation that would have any hope of being more excessive than the actual radio calls I heard that day. Location, type, and tail number are fictitious to protect the innocent...

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo, 20 miles south, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo, 10 miles south, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo, 5 miles out, planning to enter on a left downwind for runway 31, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo, entering left downwind for runway 31, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo is passing midfield on the left downwind for runway 31, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo is turning downwind to left base for runway 31, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo is on a 2-mike final for runway 31, any traffic in the area please advise.

Podunk traffic, Bonanza 3 mike bravo is on a short final for runway 31...(transmission cuts off as he releases the PTT, whereupon I say to myself, “Don’t say it, please don’t...” and then he pushes the PTT to add)...any traffic in the area please advise.

Nahhhhh you made that up..... ;):)

image.gif

But yeah, that is definitely overkill. :rolleyes:

Runway jumped up and bit me today. First bad “landing” in the new bird. Very disappointed.

Looking to take an IFR lesson tomorrow. NEPA is supposed to be junky.

Runway jumped up and bit me today. First bad “landing” in the new bird. Very disappointed.

'New bird'? Is this the same old bird but the first bad landing? I'm not sure I know what your old bird was and your new bird is. :)

Talked to my mangement, to schedule retirement end of August. And got a surprising counter offer - stay another year, work 3 days a week, 3/4 pay. That'll put me over the hump for my airplane purchase - something low, slow, no electrical system, and maybe a tail wheel. . .

Took the 172 up early Saturday morning to check on the crops and irrigation. Nice and calm when I took off and some bumps when I returned. Managed to walk away from a couple of landings. Here in the South, early morning flights are soooo much better and cooler than mid afternoon. Expected high temp today 100+ .

No flying today. It's our 45th wedding anniversary.

Good news is we have many wonderful memories. Better news is we can still remember them.
I think that is really nice. A true success story.

I have been dreaming about flying for about 2 weeks now and will be dreaming for another couple of weeks. Does that count?

1.4 Friday morning. Managed to outrun a 172 in the pattern (twice) and practice what I read about landings here (was a thread with "flare" in the title). Believe it or not, it worked. On downwind I keyed up Davis Monthan's VFR freq, listened to find out who was working local (tower) and said "Good morning Jon Jon." Now Jon Jon is a newly rated controller than I took up right after his rating. He wants to learn to fly but he's also unsure about what to say on the radio when someone says, "Good morning Jon Jon." to him. After his silence I added, "its okay lil' fella, you can answer." He timidly answered back, "Good morning...big fella." Then I turned base and did another touch and go.

Flew up to 6Y9 on Thursday with a tailwind, which never happens. Put on close to 200 miles on the ATV before the weekend is over. Heading back this afternoon with what looks like should be a slight tailwind.

Don't you just love the feeling you get when you can't even tell you are on the ground?
Enjoy it, we work hard for it. :D
The rest of the story is that the primer didn't work and I had to do some Southern engineering to get the thing started after my friends had all left the fly-in in their much faster planes. I had two people on the ground back home texting me weather updates as there was a storm headed in, but stalled just outside town. So, to save time, I flew straight-in onto the paved runway, did a wheel landing, pushed the throttle up to 1300 rpm, and kept the tail off the ground until the last maybe 150 feet of the runway. One of my friends helped me push the plane into my hangar which he had opened for me and then the CFI of the group said he wasn't even sure if I had touched down through that entire run down the runway. So it wasn't just a great wheel landing, it was a great landing with witnesses which is even more rare!

So I totally redeemed myself for taxiing into the grass on the wrong side of the runway in front of the entire crowd when I got to the fly-in because I thought I could turn tighter to the left than to the right. The Cub has good brake days and bad brake days and yesterday was a bad brake day. :)

He wants to learn to fly but he's also unsure about what to say on the radio when someone says, "Good morning Jon Jon." to him. After his silence I added, "its okay lil' fella, you can answer." He timidly answered back, "Good morning...big fella." Then I turned base and did another touch and go.
Don't let anybody on the Red Board hear about that nonstandard phraseology. Heads would explode. :p

Got up this morning for an hour’s worth of sightseeing with my son. We took off from X04 planning to head NW, but had to change plans and go south when we got up and saw the clouds. Turned out the KLEE METAR’s scattered at 3500 looked a lot more like broken at 2500, but things were better south. A nice flight, one of my better landings, 1.2 on the Hobbs, and lunch at the Waffle House all made for a great morning.

Woke up to late this morning to bet the heat after lawn chores, gonna be 100+ today, will hit it early a.m. tomorrow

Although the flight in my J-3 Cub took place a week ago, I though I would post it here. I usually post pictures or in this case a video of the changes that are taking place in my small world, The Villages Fl. People around here who don't fly enjoy seeing the new growth of The Villages for my Cub. https://www.thevillages.com/index.html

Last edited:
Had a ground school session with CFI.
Then went and took my "Flight Instructor - Airplane" written test. 92'd it.
Then flew from PAMR to PASX to visit the husband, so we could be together on his day off. Would have been a 3.5 hour drive in one of those auto-mobile things.
Then had some wine.
Great day.

I flew up to Toledo and had lunch with one of my oldest friends. I thought I was going to have to pay a landing fee, but they don't charge on the weekend. Filled up on the cheapest gas in the state. Mrs. Steingar came with (her first takeoff since I moved the aircraft), loved the restaurant and even said she's warming to the Mooney.

Ahh. Flew the 180. Had a couple of those landings where I could feel each piece of gravel as the mains make contact. Sweet! My pup's getting old but she still claims her precarious perch.

qqKwOXnJTACuAcCgo4T9OQ.jpg

Don't let anybody on the Red Board hear about that nonstandard phraseology. Heads would explode. :p

I think its a bit different when you work there. Although I don't know this "red board" of which you speak, let em explode! ;)

Boring flight home via Clintonville, WI. Filed expecting BKN to OVC and having to shoot an approach at home, but forecast was wrong again (surprise surprise) and was SCT to FEW when I got there.

My plane has been stuck in annual for centuries due to an exhaust leak. Finally got it fixed (basically a new exhaust system). Hopefully I still remember how to fly. Hoping to get single engine and multiengine commercial done this year.

Boring flight home via Clintonville, WI. Filed expecting BKN to OVC and having to shoot an approach at home, but forecast was wrong again (surprise surprise) and was SCT to FEW when I got there.
Forecasts are never wrong.;)

Just got my plane from annual, and I'm still finishing up my 40 hours towards my IR...East side of our state was IFR, and I got in some approaches with a 400 foot ceiling on Sunday with my instructor. Finding cruddy weather without thunderstorms is more challenging than finding VFR weather, for sure...which I guess explains why it has taken me 26 years to get my IR.

Back