0235 advice

John Recine

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John Recine
I reciently purchased an 0235 for my project. The engine was described by the second owner as having a minimal prop strike in to grass at idle just before it nosed over. The logs appear complete the engine was 600 hrs post SMOH, limited details on that.

The scond owner told me the engine was already looked at by and A&P and check for runout, there was none, a visual of the crank was said to be sound and of no concern. Since I am the 3rd down the line I am looking at it with a healthy degree of doubt. I dont want to reassemble it, havg it and try to fly behind it without knowing the condiditon of the crank.

I am looking for an inexpensive rebuild and for a shop that can do a crank inspection and magnaflux first. Once I get the crank back I will do the rebuild. Are there specific issues with the 0235 I need to be aware of and should I consder the upgrading to the high compression pistons or stay with the 108 configuration and look at using either avgas or mogas, I am contimplating both options and look for the best solutions.

What should I be looking for or at with thie engine? WHat are your thoughts as far as media or soda blasting parts?

Plaease advise

Thanks
John

I reciently purchased an 0235 for my project. The engine was described by the second owner as having a minimal prop strike in to grass at idle just before it nosed over. The logs appear complete the engine was 600 hrs post SMOH, limited details on that.

The scond owner told me the engine was already looked at by and A&P and check for runout, there was none, a visual of the crank was said to be sound and of no concern. Since I am the 3rd down the line I am looking at it with a healthy degree of doubt. I dont want to reassemble it, havg it and try to fly behind it without knowing the condiditon of the crank.

I am looking for an inexpensive rebuild and for a shop that can do a crank inspection and magnaflux first. Once I get the crank back I will do the rebuild. Are there specific issues with the 0235 I need to be aware of and should I consder the upgrading to the high compression pistons or stay with the 108 configuration and look at using either avgas or mogas, I am contimplating both options and look for the best solutions.

What should I be looking for or at with thie engine? WHat are your thoughts as far as media or soda blasting parts?

Plaease advise

Thanks
John

I think I'd bite the bullet and sent it to Charley Malot for overhaul. and I overhaul engines.

There is about 75% chance that the engine is perfect inside, BUT......

I WHat are your thoughts as far as media or soda blasting parts?

Plaease advise

Thanks
John

Plastic Media is a great way to clean the exterior of engine parts and the interior parts that are not a machined fit such as the crank and cam. it will not harm steel but it will soft aluminum.

But getting it out of all the passageways is impossible. every threaded hole will fill with media and must be cleaned by hand and a tap run thru the threads.

Its a super way of cleaning parts like oil sumps accessory cases, gears, but if a tiny speck of it gets into any oil galley it may end up getting into the Ney nozzles and plugging them. or it may end up jambing the oil pressure relief valve open and dumping off all the oil pressure.

If you use it. be absolutely positive that not a single speck gets placed back into your engine.

The Pictures below are of the last 0-235 I did and it was cleaned by Soda blasting it will wash out clean and any media left behind will end up in the filter and cause no damage. because it is smaller that any oil clearance.

Attachments

• Engines 023.jpg
    Engines 023.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 18
  • Engines 007.jpg
    Engines 007.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Engines 012.jpg
    Engines 012.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 14
Tom, I want to come spend a summer working (apprentice) in your hangar / shop....

Summer is over, project is complete, Tom's quitting for the winter. I have 1 annual for a 150 next weekend, that'll be it for this year.

Summer is over, project is complete, Tom's quitting for the winter. I have 1 annual for a 150 next weekend, that'll be it for this year.

Ah, that's okay... I'd slow you down and my kids and wife'd be perturbed at my extended absence. Somebody's gotta mow the grass, ya know?!

The scond owner told me the engine was already looked at by and A&P and check for runout, there was none, a visual of the crank was said to be sound and of no concern.

What should I be looking for or at with this engine?

Runout doesn't tell the whole story. The crank could have bent enough to crack a little, then sprung back to within limits. I've heard of this happening. I had a crank break in flight once, forced approach to a farm field to go with it, and after teardown we found that there was a crack with rust in it that had been there a long, long time, probably started by a propstrike. The flange was within limits.

We have an O-235K2C in a Citabria 7ECA. This engine runs much too cool and I have no idea why American Champion included an oil cooler in the installation. Condensation in the front cylinders is a real problem in cooler weather, and the subsequent rust pitting allows rapid cylinder wall wear that leaves ridges at the ends of the ring travels. The lower ridge shaves the aluminum piston pin plugs as they pass over it, leaving aluminum chips in the screen. We're starting to find this again at 1900 hours, and found it earlier at 1100. It's a 2400 hour engine so it'll likely have to come apart again. I don't know why Lycoming didn't do like Continental did on some engines (A-80, maybe others) where they used five rings, three above the pin and two below, so that any ring ridge was below the pin's travel range. Maybe Cerminil or chromed cylinders would last longer.
O-235s are notoriously difficult to start. Having two impulse mags helps. O-235s are also the only Lycs with solid lifters, so periodic valve clearance adjustments are necessary.
Other than that, they're a nice smooth, strong engine.

Dan

Back