0-300 corrosion after 20 years in storage

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
these are the corroded places that I have found as I disassembled the 0-300 that sat in a hangar from 1992 until this winter.

first three are of the starter drive, high in the engine, very superficial, polished off easy.

second three, crank assembly, yet to see how deep it is.

third three are bolts nuts etc. that are usually corrosion free. engine thru bolts and case tie bolts. yet to see how deep the damage is.

Last three pictures are of the cases note no corrosion on the cm, lifters or cases, no corrosion on the crank its self. and the cylinders were very lightly corroded but the rings had removed it as I turned the engine over getting them off.

Attachments

• DSCN3416.jpg
    DSCN3416.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 93
  • DSCN3417.JPG
    DSCN3417.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN3420.JPG
    DSCN3420.JPG
    224.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN3425.jpg
    DSCN3425.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 96
  • DSCN3426.JPG
    DSCN3426.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN3427.JPG
    DSCN3427.JPG
    213.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSCN3431.JPG
    DSCN3431.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 82
  • DSCN3432.JPG
    DSCN3432.JPG
    208.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN3433.JPG
    DSCN3433.JPG
    210.3 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN3428.jpg
    DSCN3428.jpg
    338.8 KB · Views: 86
  • DSCN3429.jpg
    DSCN3429.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN3434.jpg
    DSCN3434.jpg
    291.5 KB · Views: 79
Hey Tom, what would it take to convert it to an O-300D and put a vacuum pump on it?

Hey Tom, what would it take to convert it to an O-300D and put a vacuum pump on it?
This engine is a -D, but wasn't running a vac pump. I am going to remove the venturis and run a pump.

This engine is a -D, but wasn't running a vac pump. I am going to remove the venturis and run a pump.
Tom,

How hard (what is involved) to convert it from the venturi system to a engine driven system? I believe you need to replace the AN- gyros, but how much modification to the vacuum piping do you need?

I am toying with the idea of leaving the venturis on mine for asthetics.

Tom - when I did my C85 it had only been sitting for about 5 years and had about 800 hrs on it since factory reman. I found no corrosion or significant wear except for my oil pump housing which looked like this. I don't know what caused it but the repair cost would have been the same as I paid for a new O-200 accessory case.

I don't think the new ones have any magnesium in them though because it weighs about 2 pounds (guess) more than the old one.

Any idea what would have caused that? There wasn't any anywhere else but in the pump housing.

DSCN5582%255B1%255D.JPG

Tom,

How hard (what is involved) to convert it from the venturi system to a engine driven system? I believe you need to replace the AN- gyros, but how much modification to the vacuum piping do you need?

I am toying with the idea of leaving the venturis on mine for asthetics.
Seeing as every thing installed now is junk, I'll just remove it and replace it with a system from a C-150 vac regulator, filter, fittings are all standard Cessna.

OBTW, the AN 1 will run great on the pump.

Any idea what would have caused that? There wasn't any anywhere else but in the pump housing.

Acids and water in the oil will separate out in weird places.

I just sold a C-85 accessory case for 150 bucks on E-bay. It was perfect.

I do repair those.

OBTW, the AN 1 will run great on the pump.
Does it? I've been told that you can't run a modern gyro on the Venturi system (not enough suction), so I figured that the suction from the ump would be too much for the AN.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Does it? I've been told that you can't run a modern gyro on the Venturi system (not enough suction), so I figured that the suction from the ump would be too much for the AN.

That is what Vac regulators are for.

Hi, was this engine pickled an any way? I have read the horror stories about engines sitting for more than two weeks without running, or using camguard or this additive or that additive. I somehow don't believe that every engine will disintegrate from not running it.

Hi, was this engine pickled an any way? I have read the horror stories about engines sitting for more than two weeks without running, or using camguard or this additive or that additive. I somehow don't believe that every engine will disintegrate from not running it.

This aircraft was flown from the mid west to Arlington Wa. placed in a hangar, in 1992, and never touched for 20 years.

The hype you hear is mostly old wives tales.

Thanks, I'll not try to change anyone elses mind set about engine corrosion , but I will sleep better at night having some knowledge that my engine is not likely to fall off its mounts.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll not try to change anyone elses mind set about engine corrosion , but I will sleep better at night having some knowledge that my engine is not likely to fall off itss mounts.

The reason this engine has more corrosion is simply that it had only 250 hours on it since it was rebuilt. It has very little oil varnish on any of the parts.

Silvaire - Your C-85 case photo above is showing cavitation damage from oil pump inlet starvation from cold starts. It is an absolutely classic example and I can show from some O-235 oil pump housing parts I have. I have seen this sort of thing on a lot of hydraulic components also.

Cavitation is a very violent phenomena where the damage is occurring at the point that the bubble collapses under a super-sudden pressure rise. Chances are you could hear it as an unusual oil pump whine as it was happening immediately after a cold start. Think of it sort of like detonation in the oil system.

Last edited:
Silvaire - Your C-85 case photo above is showing cavitation damage from oil pump inlet starvation from cold starts. It is an absolutely classic example and I can show from some O-235 oil pump housing parts I have. I have seen this sort of thing on a lot of hydraulic components also.

Cavitation is a very violent phenomena where the damage is occurring at the point that the bubble collapses under a super-sudden pressure rise. Chances are you could hear it as an unusual oil pump whine as it was happening immediately after a cold start. Think of it sort of like detonation in the oil system.

I guess the white powder stuff ain't really corrosion products either.

Back