0-200 dream 150 setup

hobie bob

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bobo
Hi,

Lets say hypothetically you were getting a continental 0-200 overhauled for install into a 76 Cessna 150. What would be some must do work during the process ?

I am thinking;
1. Install a Skytech Starter ?
2. Install extended crank case breather from aerobat ?
3. Remove engine mount, Sandblast and powder coat it. Can anyone tell me how tough this is to do once the motor is removed. It looks like four bolts to the firewall, and removing the nose shock. How tough to do this ?
4. I am thinking new baffles http://www.airforms.biz/index.php?route=product/product&path=20&product_id=637 Is it just the baffle directly behind the motor that is permanently attached due to wires and cables fed through it ?
5. Paint the firewall.

Lets just say I might be getting my motor overhauled due to warranty, and since its coming off I want to spend a little effort to clean the front end of my bird up. I was thinking I can do some of that work myself. Any guides or advice ?

well, I'll say this. We just put a Sky-Tec in our Cherokee 235 after the bendix went out on the the one that was put in about 20 years ago. That thing is bad to the bone. It about spins the damn prop off starting it up. :) Well worth the investment. We replaced the starter solenoid while we were at it - it had been in there at least 30 years. That alone made a huge difference.

how much more power do you get with the timing set at 28 instead of 24 ?

The SkyTec, breather vent and Milennium cylinders, definitely.

Electronic ignition, too.

I've got 2 out of the 3 on mine, and will do the starter change when the Delco gives me the slightest trouble. If I had a key-start setup, I would change starters NOW.

. . .but I admit that I'll miss pulling that little T-handle, which is how you start classic Cessnas . . .twisting a key is for cars . . . :wink2:

Last edited:
Are you allowed to powder coat the mount? Powder coat can hide a multitude of sins from visual inspection.

Are you allowed to powder coat the mount? Powder coat can hide a multitude of sins from visual inspection.
Don't know that I'd want to sandblast it, either. It's thinwall tubing, and sandblasting puts tiny, sharp-cornered pits in it that can start cracks. At the very least, it will expand the metal a bit and start warping it.

Strip the paint off, inspect it (NDI is best) and repaint it.

Dan

The motor mount serves a specific purpose and being pretty isn't one of them. The best thing to do, as already suggested, is to strip it and have it thoroughly inspected. this is your opportunity to do that. Then paint it white so that any cracks that might develop in the future will more easily be seen.

If the engine is being overhauled on a warranty claim I don't know if you'd have any say in what cylinders get put on it.

Perfectly legal. Just be sure to have a mount with no corrosion or other defects before you do it. NDI beforehand is a good idea.

Back