“Aluminum Overcast” B-17G

glpilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
GLPilot
Just got back from waiting an hour to walk around inside the B17G “Aluminum Overcast.” http://b17.org

EAA sponsored the event at the airport I fly out of.

I brought my family, wife and 9 month old to see this old bird. Took several pictures. I hope the next time I see one of these I can take advantage of the $399 bump to get a ride in her.
icon_smile.gif

For me, the wait was worth it, to see what it was really like inside. I have to say this airplane seems a lot more cramped on the inside than what you see in the media.

This is the first aviation related outing I have done with my young son, the future is going to be fun :)

Few pics attached...

Attachments

• DSCF0743.jpg
    DSCF0743.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0774.jpg
    DSCF0774.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCF0781.jpg
    DSCF0781.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 24
  • DSCF0789.jpg
    DSCF0789.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 23
Now can you imagine spending 9 hours inside of this thing, in freezing cold, at 10-15K without enough O2, and getting shot at....

An old teacher of mine (B52 driver) would shake his head and say, "all that fuss for 6,000 pounds of bombs!". Of course, 6000 lbs can RUIN your day....

glpilot said:
I have to say this airplane seems a lot more cramped on the inside than what you see in the media.
No kidding! Coincidentally I saw the Aluminum Overcast last weekend in Knoxville. Waiting in line to tour it I saw at least a couple larger people who couldn't get through that area depicted in your second picture. They had to backtrack out the entrance in front. :eek:

Here are a few more pics.

Attachments

• B17 (2).jpg
    B17 (2).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 14
  • B17 (4).jpg
    B17 (4).jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 24
  • B17 (6).jpg
    B17 (6).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 13
Well GL if you get the chance do it. I rode in Both Alluminum Overcast and Fuddy Duddy whne they where at CXY over the years.
Dave G

I flew on the "Aluminum Overcast" a few years ago. It was a great trip. The day was about 85 and offset by a nice 10-15 mile an hour wind. They flew with the excape hatch open. An excellent trip!

Attachments

• Aluminum Overcast 1.jpg
    Aluminum Overcast 1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 7
  • Aluminum Overcast 3.jpg
    Aluminum Overcast 3.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Aluminum Overcast 2.jpg
    Aluminum Overcast 2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 3
.10 right seat time in Fuddy ... back in the "good 'ol days" of the National Warplane Museum in Geneseo, NY. (sigh)

Shipoke said:
Well GL if you get the chance do it. I rode in Both Alluminum Overcast and Fuddy Duddy whne they where at CXY over the years.
Dave G

Everskyward said:
No kidding! Coincidentally I saw the Aluminum Overcast last weekend in Knoxville. Waiting in line to tour it I saw at least a couple larger people who couldn't get through that area depicted in your second picture. They had to backtrack out the entrance in front. :eek:

Here are a few more pics.

Those Garmin 430's sure look out of place! ;-)

Anyone interested in seeing a B17 restoration project, there is one going on at I74, Urbana OH. The fuselage is in three sections with the forward section starting to get new skin. The wings are opened up so you can see how they were constructed. All in all pretty amazing. And in case you needed another incentive to fly there, they have a pretty good Airport Cafe too.Ron

I got about .5 in aluminum overcast back before the insurance said no. One of the guys on our ride was a b-17 pilot. He was shot down on his 15th mission over Hamburg. He said it was the first time he had been in one since. He was wearing his watch and leather jacket that he had on when he bailed out. He said he went out the front escape hatch in the nose. I crawled through there in just a flight suit and could barely fit I asked him how he did it with all his gear on. He said when you do not have a choice you can due amazing things.
The guy was just plain COOL.
Joe

Took my kids to tour Sentimental Journey Sat. here in OKC, My 11 y/o girl must have gone through at least 10 times, taking in every detail. The 14 y/o boy was fairly quiet about the whole thing. I started him reading a book about B-17's yesterday, Had to take it away to get him to sleep last night..

(sidenote: On the way home the girl told my she wants to learn to fly when she gets old enough):yes: :yes: :D

Back