Farmer Shoots at Crop-duster

Do you think dairy cows really care about a low flying plane?

Interesting, and yes, you can run a herd of cattle through a fence and cause a lot of problems and expense.

The whole story is udderly ridiculous.

(can't believe I'm the first one in with that)

I just think the guy wanted the plane to moo-ve away from his property.

When I worked out at our airport, there was an FAA sanctioned aerobatic box just off our airport. While the airshow was in Dayton, quite a few of the airshow performers would come out and practice in the box. I got a call there one day from an old farmer who complained "that little red plane (it was Sean Tucker) is scarin' the hell outa my cattle."

Fortunately, we had a plan in place for things like this. I got the guy's name and address, and the company President went over to his house and talked to him. I think he ended up taking him out to lunch, and I think he may have scored him some airshow tickets.

It's in our best interest to have the airport be "good neighbors" to the people living around it. Fortunately, it's about 95% farmland, so we don't have to keep a whole housing development happy.

As a self proclaimed expert on all matters let me explain how dairy cows work. They turn grass and stuff into milk. More over, they only do it (to max capacity) when they feel safe and secure.

A plane buzzing the place would reasonably unsettle the herd and milk production would likely suffer. I imagine this farmer saw dollar signs evaporating on each pass of the ag plane and decided to do something.

What he did however...

It's a pretty high steaks market when we're shooting at agricultural planes. The farmer is trying to milk the most out of his herd.

The drought this year in Wisconsin has hurt the dairy herds bad. I can see how the farmer would get upset if he is already struggling.

If I were the pilot, I'd shoot the farmer back in his dairy-air.

All these puns are BS.

If the pilot had been injured and went down in that field, they would have needed to carry him away on a Guernsey.

This thread is very amoosing. You guys are milking this thread for all it's worth, though I have no beef with that. Seriously though, the steaks are high in a situation like this. He butter not shoot at any more cropdusters; I've herd that somebody could get hurt.

P.S.--Some of these puns are truly offal.

Interesting, and yes, you can run a herd of cattle through a fence and cause a lot of problems and expense.

You should see what you can do with an airship. Cows don't like it at all.

This photo was taken shortly before the farmer turned and fired in self defense:
1244837807315391.jpeg

Seriously, if 30' AGL (or even 50' or 70') is accurate, then...

...I can't blame him.

I might even have to be restrained in order to avoid doing the same.

Our AGL was lowered to 150 this past month for the flour bombing and I remember thinking how low that seemed. I can't even imagine flying at 70.

We have crop dusters flying around here all summer. 30' is high. They fly as low as they can so there is less evaporation and for better chemical penetration into the crop canopy.

I have seen them spray our pastures for thistles with cows in the pasture and the cows could care less but I've also seen some cows freak out.

Spray planes are a part of life out here and nobody seems to care how low they fly. I did hear a story from years ago where a crop duster was working next to town and a grumpy old man was so annoyed he tossed a metal pipe into the air. The pilot limped back to the airport with a bent prop.

30' above the property your spraying is one thing. 30' above someone else's pivate property is trespassing (regardless of what the laws say).

30' above the property your spraying is one thing. 30' above someone else's pivate property is trespassing (regardless of what the laws say).

Really? So if I'm 30' over my customers field it's fine but when I cross a 4 inch thick fence and continue flying over the neighbours field of crops I'm trespassing?

My guess is the guy throwing a pipe wasn't on his porch when he did it.

Back