Nick Names For Airplane Parts At War Time?

The strut service cover on a Cherokee wing has an interesting plumbing trade name. On a sink, it is a cover for the hole that a faucet wasn't installed in. And another name for faucet is ------.

Under that name at a plumbing counter though, it is a lot cheaper than through aviation channels!!

One of the funniest trade words I ever heard was for a strain relief. It is the kind that is made of woven wire and looks like a Chinese finger grip. Apparently it is called a "horse cock". :dunno:

One of the funniest trade words I ever heard was for a strain relief. It is the kind that is made of woven wire and looks like a Chinese finger grip. Apparently it is called a "horse cock". :dunno:

Yep, know that one well, we used to keep one on the tugs for an emergency wire splice. When you have a 2 1/2" diameter wire, the name is truly 'apparent', especially with the flared end...:rofl:

Btw, can you tell me what the different colors symbolize?

I'll bite.

Orange= Chrome barrel
Blue= steel barrel
Green= bored 0.010 over
yellow= bored 0.020 over

And the one in the upper right uses short reach plugs.

I seem to remember Ernie Gann calling the defroster hose in a DC-2 an elephant pecker or something like that...

Sigh....
Cockpit.

About the cockpit:
The term is most likely related to the sailing term for the coxswain's station in a Royal Navy ship, and later the location of the ship's rudder controls.
Just so nobody says that "coxswain" is a reference:
The etymology of the word gives us a literal meaning of "boat servant" since it comes from cox, a coxboat or other small vessel kept aboard a ship, and swain, which can be rendered as boy, in authority.

Henning can probably vouch for this one- While there are many colorful nicknames for airplane parts, there are far more potentially offensive and politically incorrect names for items found aboard ships than you would ever find on a plane.

At least 95% of which would probably get me banned for posting here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OK so I have a few buddies at the airport now. They like to pull my leg and tell crazy stories.

Can any of you please let me know if the story they told me last night is true?

They kept talking about "jugs" and I didn't know that was slang for cylinders or pistons or something like that.

I asked why and they explained a long time ago, during war, men would be away from girls for a long time. They "nick named" aircraft parts after female body parts.

Is this AT ALL true?

Yes, the removable cylinders on air cooled aircraft engines are called jugs. They weren't discussing female anatomy.

Talking about getting new jugs, does not mean implants:rolleyes2:

I seem to remember Ernie Gann calling the defroster hose in a DC-2 an elephant pecker or something like that...

In auto racing we always called SCAT tubing or similar "Donkey Dick". I've never heard anyone in aviation do it.

C-130's have rainbow fittings, porkchop fittings and sandwich fittings....

Henning can probably vouch for this one- While there are many colorful nicknames for airplane parts, there are far more potentially offensive and politically incorrect names for items found aboard ships than you would ever find on a plane.

At least 95% of which would probably get me banned for posting here.

I can agree with this. Long ago, I dated a man for several years. He was ex-Navy and used to spend up to 6 months at sea. You should have heard the names they called the female navy personnel on that ship - so I can only imagine what they called the rest of the stuff.

I can agree with this. Long ago, I dated a man for several years. He was ex-Navy and used to spend up to 6 months at sea. You should have heard the names they called the female navy personnel on that ship - so I can only imagine what they called the rest of the stuff.
Let's just say that the only group of human beings that could not find something to be offended by on ship would be white, anglo-saxon protestant males....as long as they were non-denominational protestant males.

Let's just say that the only group of human beings that could not find something to be offended by on ship would be white, anglo-saxon protestant males....as long as they were non-denominational protestant males.

Nah, we find ways to offend them as well...:rofl:

Nah, we find ways to offend them as well...:rofl:

Equal opportunity abusers, you say? :D

A Marine buddy of mine was telling me his story when the ship he was on crossed the equator. They got the party going, and quite a few of the guys dressed up like gals. Then he said, "You know, when you've been away from women that long...some of those guys started looking pretty good...."

A Marine buddy of mine was telling me his story when the ship he was on crossed the equator. They got the party going, and quite a few of the guys dressed up like gals. Then he said, "You know, when you've been away from women that long...some of those guys started looking pretty good...."

I've heard that comment before, but to be honest, I have never been to sea THAT long and I've been out seven months straight before.

In auto racing we always called SCAT tubing or similar "Donkey Dick". I've never heard anyone in aviation do it.

C-130's have rainbow fittings, porkchop fittings and sandwich fittings....

Was an RCH a unit of measure?

Folks in the hangar used to call one of the parts on the 727 flap assy. the dog pecker.

It was the shape I guess.

I don't have a photo of one.

I heard an interesting nickname today...not for an aircraft...but for an the area where the workers installed the T-tail on a C-5 galaxy...they called it "The Cathouse"
Can anyone guess why?

Last edited:
I have never seen a jug that looked like this:

images
The name fits if you turn the cylinder upside down.

Cylinders are also often referred to as "Barrels".

It makes one wonder how they ever came up with the rank Rear Admiral.

It makes one wonder how they ever came up with the rank Rear Admiral.
ask and you shall receive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rear_admiral

"It originated from the days of naval sailing squadrons and can trace its origins to the Royal Navy. Each naval squadron would be assigned an admiral as its head, who would command from the centre vessel and direct the activities of the squadron. The admiral would in turn be assisted by a vice admiral, who commanded the lead ships which would bear the brunt of a naval battle. In the rear of the naval squadron, a third admiral would command the remaining ships and, as this section of the squadron was considered to be in the least danger, the admiral in command of the rear would typically be the most junior of the squadron admirals. This has survived into the modern age, with the rank of rear admiral the most-junior of the admiralty ranks of many navies."

Back