Recurrent training recency poll

When was your last recurrent flight training?

• Within the last six calendar months

Votes: 44 57.1%
  • 6-12 months ago

Votes: 21 27.3%
  • 12-24 months ago

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • 24-60 months ago

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Over 60 months ago

Votes: 2 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

poadeleted20

Deleted
When's the last time you got formal recurrent training?

Not talking about once around the pattern with a CFI, I'm talking serious flight training, such as:
-Certificate/rating upgrade
-Wings flight
-Type club program
-Full flight review
-Instrument proficiency check
-Formal school course (FSI, RTC, SimCom, etc)

Doesn't matter if it was in your Grumman or something else, say, what you get paid to fly.

If you have comments, direct replies by PM or email would be fine, and confidentiality will be respected -- not publishing names or identifiable data, just numbers and possibly anonymized comments.

Last edited:
Tailwheel endorsement 1 1/2 yrs ago, which then led to the best flight review I have had! Started the TW to get something new in my logbook. A bunch of weekly lessons later I finally earned it. Then took to the cessna with that same Instructor, who worked me hard both thru the ground discussion and then the flight portion. Most challenging flight test of skills and flight understanding that I've had to date. Well rewarding too!

Since, in the 6-12 month category, I did 2 recurrency checkouts with the flight school. One CFI was just the basic TO, LNDS, Stalls guy,... another though was very complete and it felt like the Practical test all over again,... so did the Bill at the end for the Hobbs time and CFI $$$ :mad2:

We get it every six months...

We must need it more. :)

I have a rolling training program with a fellow instructor. My last was a few weeks ago.

I do annual recurrent, and just completed King Air initial. I believe a Flight review under Wings was part of that. Working on an IPC with an instructor in the plane. I also took an AOPA safety course: flying into the WDC area before flying out that-a-way last month to make sure I was up-to-date on procedures. Since I arrange programs for a local flying club, I arrange or participate in a lot of training programs each year. B-25 SIC rating was obtained last year. SIMCOM each Spring. Usually, an IPC sometime in the Fall or many approaches with an instructor if approaches are more than the number needed to be current which is normal. Instructor may not sign an IPC, but the approaches are logged with him/her.

Best,

Dave

Recurrent every 6 months?

I don't remember if you operate 135 or 91. Most 135 types do recurrent once a year and an IPC every 6 months.
We do both 135 and 91 but we get trained as a 135. Instead of the IPC they have opted for the full recurrent and checkride every 6 months.

My BFR expired 1 August 2010.

IPC & FR in July, typically I get one of each every 6-12 months.

Last edited:
Hopefully a Complex Endorsement counts, because that's how I voted.

I had a flight review about a month ago as part of a process of transition to a large type of aircraft. Wasn't due for one at all, having just passed a checkride in July, however it was the easiest way to cover everything that we needed to do.

I try to do recurrent in the DC-3 every year. I pay for it out of pocket since it isn't a job, but keeping current gets me occasional opportunities to fly for a museum.

I do recurrent training once per year in the airplane, need to go do sim training again, just for more single engine work.

Does getting my ass handed to me for a week with Jesse under the hood in December count, if I haven't finished the rating yet? ;)

I attended the BPPP last September (BFR and IPC), did the wings thing last spring.

King air currency every 12 months but my Private students insist on keeping me current daily.

Training towards the commercial in Dec (which has stalled :( as the plane is undergoing an upgrade :))

I haven't had anything formal in the last six months - but I will be doing an IPC soon. Might do CP-AMEL and MEI this year.

I don't know if it counts, but in addition to my checkride in August 2011, I had a checkout in a 172 in either September or October 2011 that lasted 1.5 hours and was pretty much another checkride. Then last month I flew two Saturdays in a row with a new flight school and strict CFI who taught me a lot and they felt like training / lessons (all for a 172 checkout, total was over two hours hobbs but that was 1.2 the first weekend for "fun" and 0.9 the second weekend for the rest of the checkout). I go back tomorrow for another 1-2 hours checking out in a 150 with a "pull start" and some other interesting features and then the week after that I have an intro to taildraggers lesson on grass. Does any of that dual stuff "count"? I think they try to "train" me since I have low hours but we aren't officially "in training". The tailwheel thing probably counts as what you mean by recurrent training.

LOL girl, you haven't had a ticket long enough to get re-current....

Did an IPC last Saturday. Needed 6 approaches to get current, but went a little farther to go from legal to proficient. Well, let's say legal to safe. Always working on proficiency.

CFII last august, CP-AMEL last october, HP endorsement last December, should have my MEI by the end of the week. I seem to get a new rating or endorsement every other month. :thumbsup:

I don't even maintain currency, If I had to haul a Pax tomorrow I'd be required to go do 3 landings first.

Back