Dinged on a Non Published TFR

DutchessFlier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
DutchessFlier
I'm posting this for a friend as my request for well reasoned thorough observation about airspace restrictions. No flaming and no judgements please.

Did you know that there can be TFR's posted over stadium events that neither the FSS, Lockheed briefers, or the FAA's website of potential and/or active TFR's show when flight planning. Think about this when you consider flying VFR near a major NCAA division 1 college football event held at one of those mega-college football schools.

Case in point in my neck of the woods:

West Point M.A. has a standing restricted area, which may or may not be hot at any given time. We generally avoid it all the time and stay well outside of it's lateral boundaries when flying VFR. However, when a football game is being played at West Point, the airspace becomes a TFR with lateral boundaries expanded to 3nm radius from the stadium, and 3000ft AGL.

Last weekend, when this pilot was flightplanning, there was no mention of this change to the airspace by the briefer, and nothing indicating the TFR to the pilot. Subsequently, upon landing at the home drome, the classic 'we have a phone number for you to call' request was made to this pilot, upon which he was told that he had violated a TFR at 2800ft just at the eastern edge of the TFR's lateral boundary. When asked about how he was supposed to know about the TFR when it was not in the briefing, or to be found in any of the usual resources, he was told that it's the pilot's responsibility to know when a major sporting event is being held and that the possibility of a TFR exists depending upon the size of the event and location. Note as well, that there's an aera 500 series unit in the plane that depicts pending and active TFR's, and none was showing on the screen, so I am told. The pilot told the agent on the phone that had he been briefed about the airspace restriction he would have, of course, avoided it.

NASA form filed by the pilot, and all of us here have had many discussions since last week about this situation. It really bothers us, and especially that pilot, who is a meticulous airman, that the implication is that somehow we have to know the schedules of these events that could potentially spawn a TFR, but that the TFR may not be readily available to a pilot flying VFR, who then is at risk of an airspace violation.

We don't believe that anything further will happen. However, the catch-22 nature of these things kind of makes the joy and desire to fly less attractive, and seemingly way too restrictive. Don't get me wrong, we all understand the need for security and such, but this may be a bit much.

What's interesting here is the day was beautiful VMC and if he had filed an IFR flight plan for the short trip (48nm), none of this would have happened. He would probably been routed all over the place doubling his route distance and time, as is the nature of flying in the system in the NY metro area.

Not sure what we can do or say about this type of thing, but I guess you just have to be super aware that these things could happen to you.

Unfortunately, the notam for the stadium tfrs puts all the responsibility on the pilot. I'm reasonably sure that this was forced on the FAA by others, and everyone's righteous anger probably needs to be directed at Congress.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

I do not think it is reasonable for us to know about every scheduled sporting event, especially college events, when they are NOT published with the standard FAA briefings we receive. There are just too many. I don't understand what they expect us to do in this case.

I wonder if they did this and thought well they can just fly higher as a rule and we will cut down on the nosie complaints as well.

This is not an "unpublished" TFR. It's covered by a FDC NOTAM:
9/5151 (#12): FDC PART 1 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THIS NOTICE REPLACES FDC NOTAM 3/1862 DUE TO THE WAIVER WEBSITE CHANGE AND LANGUAGE CLARIFICATION. THIS NOTICE MODIFIES FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS PREVIOUSLY ISSUED IN FDC NOTAM 3/1862 TO COMPLY WITH STATUTORY MANDATES DETAILED IN SECTION 352 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-7 AND AS AMENDED BY SECTION 521 OF PUBLIC LAW 108-199. PURSUANT TO 49 USC 40103( B ), THE FEDERAL AVIATION ADMINISTRATION (FAA) CLASSIFIES THE AIRSPACE DEFINED IN THIS NOTAM AS 'NATIONAL DEFENSE AIRSPACE'. ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY OR WILLFULLY VIOLATES THE RULES CONCERNING OPERATIONS IN THIS AIRSPACE MAY BE SUBJECT TO CERTAIN CRIMINAL PENALTIES UNDER 49 USC 46307. PILOTS WHO DO NOT ADHERE TO THE FOLLOWING PROCEDURES MAY BE INTERCEPTED, DETAINED AND INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT/SECURITY PERSONNEL. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3 NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000 FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, END PART 1 OF 2 FDC 9/5151 FDC

PART 2 OF 2 .. SPECIAL NOTICE .. SPORTING EVENTS. EFFECTIVE AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY EVENT, STADIUM OR VENUE AND BROADCAST COVERAGE FOR THE BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED WAIVER. THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHT OPERATIONS. ALL PREVIOUSLY ISSUED WAIVERS TO FDC NOTAM 3/1862 REMAIN VALID UNTIL THE SPECIFIED END DATE BUT NOT TO EXCEED 90 DAYS FOLLOWING THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS NOTAM. INFORMATION ABOUT WAIVER APPLICATIONS AND TSA SECURITY AUTHORIZATIONS CAN BE FOUND AT HTTP://WWW.TSA.GOV/WHAT_WE_DO/
TSNM/GENERAL_AVIATION/AIRSPACE_WAIVERS.SHTM (CASE SENSITIVE USE LOWER CASE ONLY) OR BY CALLING TSA AT 571-227-2071. INDIVIDUALS MAY SUBMIT A REQUEST FOR A FAA WAIVER AT HTTPS://WAIVER.C3.FAA.GOV. END PART 2 OF 2

That said, if you're squawking and talking (flight following), you're fine. If you're not of FF, you better know where the stadia are along any part of your route that will be <3,000 AGL, and what events are planned.

That said, if you're squawking and talking (flight following), you're fine. If you're not of FF, you better know where the stadia are along any part of your route that will be <3,000 AGL, and what events are planned.

Jeff: I believe that Part 2 of 2 refers to aircraft on IFR flight plans, not VFR flight following.

And again, it places the responsibility on the pilot to know when and where each and every possible event falling under the definition in the regs may be taking place....

Jeff: I believe that Part 2 of 2 refers to aircraft on IFR flight plans, not VFR flight following.

And again, it places the responsibility on the pilot to know when and where each and every possible event falling under the definition in the regs may be taking place....

Nope, says nothing about IFR...just authorized and communicating with ATC.

The TFR is mainly meant to keep banner towers away. If you're talking to ATC, you're not violating the TFR. It's almost identical to the Mickey Mouse TFR:

9/4985 (#11): PART 1 OF 2 FL.. FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS. DISNEY WORLD THEME PARK, ORLANDO, FL, ... ALL AIRCRAFT FLIGHT OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3 NMR OF 282445N/0813420W OR THE ORL238014.8 UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000 FT AGL. EFFECTIVE 0902170501 UTC (0001 LOCAL 02/17/09) UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. THE RESTRICTIONS DO NOT APPLY TO; THOSE AIRCRAFT AUTHORIZED BY AND IN CONTACT WITH ATC FOR OPERATIONAL OR SAFETY OF FLIGHT PURPOSES, DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, LAW ENFORCEMENT, AND AIR AMBULANCE FLIGHT OPERATIONS. FLIGHTS CONDUCTED FOR OPERATIONAL PURPOSES OF ANY DISNEY EVENT AND VENUE ARE AUTHORIZED WITH AN APPROVED WAIVER. ALL END PART 1 OF 2. WIE UNTIL UFN....

Was he on flight following by any chance? Just curious. I do a lot of flying out of KHFD and we have to deal with this stadium TFR nonsense during football season. For those unfamiliar, Rentschler Field (UConn Huskies stadium) is about 3 nm northeast of HFD. They do include the TFR in the ATIS on game day so being aware isn't an issue, but the situation of the original post is what scares me about these.

Was that a joke? If not, it was pretty funny anyway.

No, it was not a joke.

The NOTAM is actually pretty clear. Just because FSS doesn't spoon feed you all the details doesn't mean the information isn't available.

When these go up around Comerica Park, if you're VFR and talking to Detroit Approach they will warn you and if asked, even give you landmarks defining the lateral boundaries (IME -- and this is workload permitting of course), but it's on you to avoid the area. It's been pretty clear from their words and warnings that if you stray into the TFR you aren't protected by sole virtue of squawking and talking.

Bull**** TFR, and the Congresscritters who proposed it are morons. Sorry, no one can know about every last stadium, arena, drag strip and flea market along a course that could stretch hundreds of miles. Saying "it's the pilot's responsibility" is like saying it's someone's responsibility to see through walls or leap tall buildings in a single bound. Doesn't mean it's going to get done, just another new thing to ***** about. If the FAA was actually serious about this they would take the time to collate information about said events.

Are ALL stadiums with a 30,000 or above seating capacity shown on charts?

Are ALL stadiums with a 30,000 or above seating capacity shown on charts?
Are ANY stadiums with a 30,000 or above seating capacity shown on charts?

BTW I asked FSS once a long time ago when the stadium NOTAM was a new thing if they knew whether the Cubs, Sox or Bears were playing. They said they had no idea. I asked how I was supposed to find out. They said maybe buy a paper. I asked what if I was calling from somewhere were there was not a Chicago paper. They had no idea how I was supposed to find out.

So I will ask here. How am I supposed to find out what events are taking place and if those events are anywhere near my route of flight? how are they charted?

Last edited:
Nope, says nothing about IFR...just authorized and communicating with ATC.

The TFR is mainly meant to keep banner towers away. If you're talking to ATC, you're not violating the TFR. It's almost identical to the Mickey Mouse TFR:

But when using FF ATC authorizes nothing. You're still VFR and in charge of your own actions, ATC simply provides radar advisories. The NOTAM specifically states "authorized by", that implies an instrument plan to me and that the route of flight is directed by ATC.

The NOTAM is still a joke. I can't even find a list of stadiums with 30k+ seating capacity doing a google search. And, I'm not a sports (or racing) fan so expecting me to even know where these stadiums are or what all the schedules are? Yeah, right. Fortunately, I seldom, if ever, fly less than 3000' agl especially over populated areas so it's a non issue for me.

Last edited:
Again, there is NO requirement for any controller to give any enroute VFR pilot any information regarding the temporary flight restriction (TFR) spawned by virtue of the FDC. It is totally up to the pilot. This is the issue at hand, and this is what creates the catch-22.

And again, Jeff, the restrictions "DO NOT APPLY TO" wording in part 2 of 2 of the FDC apply to pilots flying on an IFR filed flight plan. You can have all the VFR FF in the world and stray into that TFR (based on the stadium FDC) and be violated.

Did you know that there can be TFR's posted over stadium events that neither the FSS, Lockheed briefers, or the FAA's website of potential and/or active TFR's show when flight planning.

Yes. This shouldn't be new news.

DUAT shows stadiums on their interactive maps, but not game times. You can get the scheduled game times from various (non aviation) sources, but if a game runs overtime, or...

But, obviously somebody knows when they are active. Otherwise you couldn't get busted for nicking them.

Remember we are at war with people trying to strike fear into the hearts of Americans. And most of them have offices in Washington D.C.

No, it was not a joke.

The NOTAM is actually pretty clear. Just because FSS doesn't spoon feed you all the details doesn't mean the information isn't available.

???? The FSS spoon feeds me all the FDC NOTAMs. They even ask me if I want them every time I call for a "Standard Briefing".

BTW, Yes, I still call. I do my briefings on the phone. I will say that after the initial teething pains of the takeover, the service has been good and I have not seen a "hold time" to getting to a briefer in years. The "Local Knowledge" that the FSS used to bring to the table is for the most part lost now. Having a briefer say "The forecast for that time says this, but that's not going to be right because this other thing is happening. I'd suggest you look at rerouting through this other area..." hasn't happened now in over a decade and a half. OTOH, it's not as vital anymore either as we have even greater access to real time information now in flight.

I have never not been offered the FDC NOTAMS on a call. My response is "You got anything that'll get me busted?"

The really sad part of this is I'm willing to bet that a motivated researcher could find 99% of such events in one day using little more than a search engine. It really isn't that hard. If the FAA was serious about this they'd have done this long ago.

The NOTAM is still a joke. I can't even find a list of stadiums with 30k+ seating capacity doing a google search. And, I'm not a sports (or racing) fan so expecting me to even know where these stadiums are or what all the schedules are? Yeah, right. Fortunately, I seldom, if ever, fly less than 3000' agl especially over populated areas so it's a non issue for me.

OK...took me 30 seconds to find a list (including lat/long, and which sectional they're on):
http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/stadiums.html

OK...took me 30 seconds to find a list (including lat/long, and which sectional they're on):

Jeff. Great info. Thanks. I didn't know that even existed. While I fly over 3,000 AGL, and get FF on ALL flights outside my local area, that is nice to know. While I know the stadium locations locally, I don't know them elsewhere.

BTW, the Eagles deserved to be strafed yesterday in their home stadium. :rolleyes:

Isn't it a whole lot easier to fly at 3,000 AGl instead of 2800 for VFR flight seeing?

Unless you tell me where and when TFR is active it's unpublished, sorry. Yes we all know about the staduim TFRs but you know what, I don't know where the stadiums are, or when the games are so how the hell am I supposed to avoid them?!

As noted, somebody knows or they couldn't violate folks for it so why can't this information be passed to pilots? Or would that make too much sence?

Unless you tell me where and when TFR is active it's unpublished, sorry. Yes we all know about the staduim TFRs but you know what, I don't know where the stadiums are, or when the games are so how the hell am I supposed to avoid them?!

As noted, somebody knows or they couldn't violate folks for it so why can't this information be passed to pilots? Or would that make too much sence?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stadium+tfr

Click on the first result. On there is every stadium, and links to the schedules of various teams involved.

The NOTAM specifies the rules, including the times of applicability. The data is readily available from multiple sources. It's not even close to being a secret.

I don't trust AOPA any further than I can throw them, when I get an FAA sorce with times and locations of every game I'll be satisfied

Tell me where, in statute or regulation, it says the FAA has to spoon feed you every piece of information you might ever want to have, when that information if readily available from other sources?

Or what if the ground is 200, 1200, 2200 or what ever feet?

AGL not MSL.

CFI's correct me if I'm worng but anything 3000 AGL and below is not subject to the VFR or IFR altitutde flight rule. So 3000 AGL is available to put around in. 200 feet higher, no issue:mad2:

That's a pretty good resource. Not perfect but good. It even has a link to the schedules. I guess I need to work on my google Fu.

Still a non factor for me though since I'm not a " low & slow" guy but that should be helpful for those who are.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=stadium+tfr

Click on the first result. On there is every stadium, and links to the schedules of various teams involved.

The NOTAM specifies the rules, including the times of applicability. The data is readily available from multiple sources. It's not even close to being a secret.

I don't see where it lists which games are going to go overtime.

And a 9 inning game can last anywhere from a shade under 2 hours to a bit over 4 hours. And of course if the game goes into the 13th, 14th, or 15th inning...

Or when they get rained out on a Saturday, and play an unscheduled double header on Sunday...

Not to mention this is listed on MLBs schedule:

All times Eastern. Subject to change.

Last edited:
Tell me where, in statute or regulation, it says the FAA has to spoon feed you every piece of information you might ever want to have, when that information if readily available from other sources?
thanks, I'll stop calling FSS as they don't have to tell me what I NEED to know

And a 9 inning game can last anywhere from a shade under 2 hours to a bit over 4 hours. And of course if the game goes into the 13th, 14th, or 15th inning...

Or when they get rained out on a Saturday, and play an unscheduled double header on Sunday...

Not to mention this is listed on MLBs schedule:

So, are you proposing we hire FAA employees to attend each of these games and report back?

And on the "all times subject to change", the NOTAM specifies that the TFR is in place one hour before the scheduled start.

An excellent source for the end of games would be that ADF that you haven't gotten around to removing from your pannel!:idea:

PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT AND PARACHUTE OPERATIONS ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3 NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000 FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING.

If they're not going to actually "activate" the TFR so that it appears on the FAA's normal TFR notification page, then I think we need to ask that the symbology for stadiums be modified on VFR Sectional and Terminal Area charts.

A red stadium symbol, and the STADIUM'S NAME clearly depicted, for any stadium with "a seating capacity of 30,000 or more people", would clue me in to look at that Stadium's event schedule if I plan to be flying by VFR below 3000' AGL.

I'm NOT a sports nut, I don't follow sports, and I don't know the seating capacity of every stadium in my area, much less the U.S.

Guess I'll have to start including THIS PAGE in my pre-flight planning.

Last edited:
It is what it is. Unless you can get Congress to force a change, either learn how to find the games (the AOPA web site is a big help) or accept the consequences if you buzz a sporting event.

No-Whining-Button-(0384).jpg

Back