Still not IR and bummed

azure

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
azure
I'm sitting in a motel room in Columbus, OH looking at METARs and more-or-less second guessing my decision to scrub and drive. I'd been leaving the possibility of flying down open all week, even though with the remnants of T.S. Lee meandering around the Ohio Valley it didn't seem too likely that it could be safely done VFR. Then this afternoon something amazing happened: the low-level clouds over northern/central Ohio scoured out, and even over most of southeast MI it was VFR, though more accurately MVFR. I sat in my office for an extra hour trying to decide. Conditions had improved quite a bit and seemed to be getting better. The forecast was still bad: MVFR/IFR cigs and vsbys returning later. And there was a narrow band of IFR cigs across the southern shore of Lake Erie. Eventually I realized that it was a no-brainer: scrub and drive.

What prompted my second-guessing myself is that driving down there was no sign of the IFR cigs near Toledo. It was scattered clouds most of the way, and where there was a ceiling it looked to me like (low) VFR. Still, based on what I knew when I left, with that forecast and given the amount of low-level moisture apparent even from the ground, it was still the right decision.

But if I'd had my IR finished up by September, which was my goal for the summer, the decision would have been just as easy (assuming everything else pointed to a go). This would not have been hardcore IFR weather, it would have been punch through the clouds to the clear air under a broken altocumulus ceiling, then much of the way with very good ground reference. Maybe 0.1 hours instrument time, if that. Gentleman's IFR for sure, and a good opportunity to get my ticket wet -- just a little.

But I don't have the ticket. I slacked off training in July because of the extreme heat, and then early in August I bowed to gentle pressure from my mechanic to get the flaps cable replaced. The pressure wasn't, you need this cable and you need it now. The job could have waited 20-50 more flight hours. The pressure was, the cable is in and I'm ready to do it now, with the implied "if you wait, I may not be available later". Yet, he indicated that it would be a 2-3 day job, 5 at the outside. I believed him and let him ground the airplane. Of course 5 days turned into 3 weeks. Not because the job required hours and hours of work that he didn't expect, but because it was such an unpleasant job that he spent most of his time doing other things. And so I lost my last chance to get the IR finished up before classes.

I really don't know what to take away from this experience except to never believe his time estimates and always assume that if he takes the airplane apart, it will take him weeks to finish and get it back together again. Now I'm so busy with work that I don't see much hope of finishing up this fall. I could find the time myself, but I also have to work around my CFII's schedule and the weather, which is only going to get worse and worse from here on out until next May.

And no, we can't file IFR, even if my CFII was so inclined, which he doesn't seem to be with my airplane. After reading the recent thread (here or the Red Board? not sure) about needing the GPS AFM supplement in the airplane, I thought to look for my 480 supplement in the POH. I thought I'd seen it there when I first bought the plane, but it isn't there or in any of the other airplane stuff and I'm not sure whether I was mistaken to begin with, or whether it vanished in the commotion of ripping out the seats to work on the spar carrythru, or maybe when the W&B was redone to let me fly without a rear seat. So I won't be able to take my checkride until I contact the avionics shop that installed the GPS and get a replacement for the supplement. Hopefully they have detailed enough records to be able to reconstruct it, though I don't expect it to be cheap.

I guess I'm not really asking for advice or even comments, just venting... though I'm sure there will be both, this being the Blue Board... :D

Just move to Nebraska and we'll get you finished up. We can do your lessons around 1am. Easy to fit that into any schedule.

I think you need to be a little more forceful with your mechanic. He is working for you. If he says he'll get something done hold him to it. If can't meet his commitments I'd find a new mechanic.

Right there with ya.

Had the accelerated IR guy recommended by three CFIIs and a local DE on speed dial, had the vacation time saved up, had the airplane... AI rolled over dead.

After that was fixed, one of the bladder tanks failed, that took a while to fix and dented the budget a little.

Then two old friends called and offered a new job... Took the job, lost the vacation time. Plan: Busted. Have the written done too.

New job is busy.

Just realized "the plan" was also supposed to replace the need for a new BFR. And noted two days ago that BFR expires the 30th.

Currently self-grounded for a head cold that has moved to a completely ridiculous chest thing with mountains of completely clear goop being expelled in all directions. Hoping sleep tonight will be the last of it, but not sure. Doubt it. Maybe by Sunday.

Feel fine otherwise. Just drowning in mucus.

Grrrrr. Right there with ya.

This year has not gone as planned, training wise. Flying wise, okay. A bit behind planned number of hours, but not a disaster.

Well, if you or Nate can solve your airplane problems and break away for 4-5 days or so for a drink-from-a-fire-hose, slam-dunk, in-your-face, get-'er-done finish-up session, y'all know where to find me. ;)

Ron, Jesse's got first "dibs". He got to me first. Haha. ;)

Seriously though... I may go whine to the boss and get a week to go do it.

By the time he gets an earful about how annoyed I am this isn't done yet, he'll probably say "just go before our fall/Xmas busy season".

Then he'll ask the hard question, "When do you want to do it?" And I'll look like a moron when I then say, "Well I'll need to check..."

Sigh.

Maybe I should just book it and THEN tell him I'm going. It's annual review time, though. Ha. Need a "hero" project to complete so it's an even trade. ;)

Ugh... forgot about the BFR! Yep, that was the other reason I wanted to get it done before end of August, so that I wouldn't need to do a separate BFR. I did the BFR on the 30th with my CFII and found that his BFRs are (almost) worthy of Paul Sanchez... 3 hours of ground school, PPL oral exam style (and much, much more in depth than my actual oral was), followed by an almost-pencil-whipped 1 hour flight (slow flight/stall, steep turns, 2 landings, take us home). Not really pencil whipped of course, since my CFII has been flying with me right along.

And yes Jesse, you're right. Knowing what I know now, I would have said no way. In fact, knowing what I know now, I would have given the job to Matt @ Y70 who offered to do it. I only hired my local guy for the job because I didn't want to impose on the Benz people (or anyone else) for rides again. That's where being Ms. Nice Guy gets me. The problem is that he is the ONLY independent mechanic allowed to practice on the field and there is no FBO here that will work on hangar tenants' aircraft. To find another available mechanic would really mean relocating the plane. AFAIK, the only nearby fields with good local mx service are PTK and PHN. PTK is over an hour's drive from either home or work, and I swore I'd never be based at PHN again because of the ground fogs that make being able to get home at night a total guessing game.

Well, if you or Nate can solve your airplane problems and break away for 4-5 days or so for a drink-from-a-fire-hose, slam-dunk, in-your-face, get-'er-done finish-up session, y'all know where to find me. ;)
I'd really like to do that Ron, but I won't be able to spare 4-5 consecutive days now until late December, and the chances of picking a flyable 4-5 day stretch at that time of year here are about 30-70. :(

Get it done. The written is the easy part.

Do you know how many times my wife and I have driven based on weather forecasts, but could have flown VFR based on reality? Those days are OVER. Yes, there will be plenty of times we will drive anyway, but the marginal calls won't be an issue anymore. That new IR will see to that. And that's the real reason for getting the rating. Some extra utility out of the club planes.

Had a nice flight from OLM to PUW this afternoon. A good way to exercise the new rating. Weather wasn't an issue, would have gone VFR without hesitation, but it was a stress free way to play in the system for the first time.

You'll get it done. Keep at it.

Get it done. The written is the easy part.

Do you know how many times my wife and I have driven based on weather forecasts, but could have flown VFR based on reality? Those days are OVER. Yes, there will be plenty of times we will drive anyway, but the marginal calls won't be an issue anymore. That new IR will see to that. And that's the real reason for getting the rating. Some extra utility out of the club planes.

Had a nice flight from OLM to PUW this afternoon. A good way to exercise the new rating. Weather wasn't an issue, would have gone VFR without hesitation, but it was a stress free way to play in the system for the first time.

You'll get it done. Keep at it.
Heck, even the IFR rating doesn't solve those problems. We drove to 6Y9 because we didn't like the TRs that looked like they could be embedded. And, of course, on the drive decided that we could probably have flown it almost entirely VFR. We still think we made the safe decision based on the information we had at the time and the timeframe in which we had to make the decision.

Heck, even the IFR rating doesn't solve those problems. We drove to 6Y9 because we didn't like the TRs that looked like they could be embedded. And, of course, on the drive decided that we could probably have flown it almost entirely VFR. We still think we made the safe decision based on the information we had at the time and the timeframe in which we had to make the decision.

No argument there, Grant. The marginal calls I'm talking about are the ones where I couldn't tell from the weather guessers what Sunday might be like when making the fly/drive decision on Friday. Going over the Cascades VFR only to find a cloud layer over the Puget Sound area and no way to get through it VFR wouldn't have been a good thing. So we'd drive and the weather would actually turn out to be great VMC the whole weekend. My wife got tired of that and told me to go get the IR. :D Now a cloud layer won't be an issue. TS? Oh, yeah. Not so much the issue here as in your part of the country, but certainly a thing to watch out for. Ice (and we have an excellent ice machine around here)? You betcha, we'll drive. But I have more options to fly with the IR. That's my point.

Even if you have the IR, doesn't mean you're golden.

:no:

Now you have more instruments and mechanisms that must work for the flight to commence and continue.

I know what it's like to wait for a checkride, and it's no fun, but it helps teach patience -- an essential personality trait of old pilots.

No argument there, Grant. The marginal calls I'm talking about are the ones where I couldn't tell from the weather guessers what Sunday might be like when making the fly/drive decision on Friday. Going over the Cascades VFR only to find a cloud layer over the Puget Sound area and no way to get through it VFR wouldn't have been a good thing. So we'd drive and the weather would actually turn out to be great VMC the whole weekend. My wife got tired of that and told me to go get the IR. :D Now a cloud layer won't be an issue. TS? Oh, yeah. Not so much the issue here as in your part of the country, but certainly a thing to watch out for. Ice (and we have an excellent ice machine around here)? You betcha, we'll drive. But I have more options to fly with the IR. That's my point.

Yup! But as you know, the decisions only get harder with the IR!

Ugh... forgot about the BFR! Yep, that was the other reason I wanted to get it done before end of August, so that I wouldn't need to do a separate BFR. I did the BFR on the 30th with my CFII and found that his BFRs are (almost) worthy of Paul Sanchez... 3 hours of ground school, PPL oral exam style (and much, much more in depth than my actual oral was), followed by an almost-pencil-whipped 1 hour flight (slow flight/stall, steep turns, 2 landings, take us home). Not really pencil whipped of course, since my CFII has been flying with me right along.

And yes Jesse, you're right. Knowing what I know now, I would have said no way. In fact, knowing what I know now, I would have given the job to Matt @ Y70 who offered to do it. I only hired my local guy for the job because I didn't want to impose on the Benz people (or anyone else) for rides again. That's where being Ms. Nice Guy gets me. The problem is that he is the ONLY independent mechanic allowed to practice on the field and there is no FBO here that will work on hangar tenants' aircraft. To find another available mechanic would really mean relocating the plane. AFAIK, the only nearby fields with good local mx service are PTK and PHN. PTK is over an hour's drive from either home or work, and I swore I'd never be based at PHN again because of the ground fogs that make being able to get home at night a total guessing game.

It is not that bad. FYI it looks like the county is going to buy Orzel out so the PHN option may not be so good in the future.:dunno:

I haven't used him, yet, but I've heard good things about the guy in Marlette.

Yup! But as you know, the decisions only get harder with the IR!

Buuuuut, it does come in handy. I just had my first experience in actual IMC. It was a marginal VMC day, with the occasional cloud to fly through. Definitely an easy IFR flight, but couldn't have done it VFR.

Ron, Jesse's got first "dibs". He got to me first. Haha. ;)

Seriously though... I may go whine to the boss and get a week to go do it.

By the time he gets an earful about how annoyed I am this isn't done yet, he'll probably say "just go before our fall/Xmas busy season".

Then he'll ask the hard question, "When do you want to do it?" And I'll look like a moron when I then say, "Well I'll need to check..."

Sigh.

Maybe I should just book it and THEN tell him I'm going. It's annual review time, though. Ha. Need a "hero" project to complete so it's an even trade. ;)

How about....we "contribute" to Capt Ron's expenses and have him fly out here and finish both our IRs?

Not a bad idea, really. We do the ground training as a group, and each of you rides in the back while the other is getting flight training, or observes while the other is on the sim. Think about it.

Yeah, a good idea, but I think Nate was referring to Steve Tupper's Acrocamp, where he made a movie based on four pilots with no acro experience getting their first instruction.

Works for me. Just let's get it done soon before the Colorado winter sets in.

Winter's one of the best times to fly around here! No issue of density altitude, no Tstorms, etc. And even if it's snowing, it usually stops in a day or so, then the sun comes out and you can fly, play tennis or golf.

It is not that bad. FYI it looks like the county is going to buy Orzel out so the PHN option may not be so good in the future.:dunno:

I haven't used him, yet, but I've heard good things about the guy in Marlette.
Jay Burton. I don't have any solid info on him, but Jean had him do her annual once or twice during the time I was flying her plane. I didn't know about Orzel... that's sad news. And if PHN becomes like VLL then my current guy will probably start doing annuals up there too. :(

Winter's one of the best times to fly around here! No issue of density altitude, no Tstorms, etc. And even if it's snowing, it usually stops in a day or so, then the sun comes out and you can fly, play tennis or golf.
I just don't like being cold. Hope your aircraft heater works well. :D

I just don't like being cold. Hope your aircraft heater works well. :D

There are times that I fly in a tshirt and sweater. Not a good idea in the winter (in the event of an unexpected landing) but the heavy jacket is always next to me.

Besides, the heater in a cherokee works *too* well!

Our heater also works "too" well. And it leaks hot air into the cabin in summer. Or is that simmer? Sauté? Stew? It'll cook you out even in Winter.

Cessna in their infinite wisdom made that stupid door the hardest thing to get at on the airframe.

And if you have to replace that fiberglass box, buying one is a couple AMUs, or you can have a mechanic make some crazy contraption to replace it and then work on getting it approved.

Anyway. The time to learn that it leaked a bit wasn't over the desert east of Vegas at 103F on the ground. :(

No more 100F days for me in my bird!

Our heater also works "too" well. And it leaks hot air into the cabin in summer. Or is that simmer? Sauté? Stew? It'll cook you out even in Winter.

Cessna in their infinite wisdom made that stupid door the hardest thing to get at on the airframe.

And if you have to replace that fiberglass box, buying one is a couple AMUs, or you can have a mechanic make some crazy contraption to replace it and then work on getting it approved.

Anyway. The time to learn that it leaked a bit wasn't over the desert east of Vegas at 103F on the ground. :(

No more 100F days for me in my bird!
Leslie managed to get a blister on her foot or ankle from the heater on a 182. Yeah, they work well!

Back