Aviation Vanity Car Tags

Airplane partner has AV84FUN. Me, I'm too cheap, though I tell myself I'm just not that self-involved.

Airplane partner has AV84FUN. Me, I'm too cheap, though I tell myself I'm just not that self-involved.

It's $120 a year for vanity plates in Illinois now. I'm not getting one beyond my two.

You know you live in a friendly state when the Secretary of State lines the offices with signs saying "DO NOT ABUSE OUR STAFF" and that the fees are set by state law and he gets re-elected.

Hey, all that Blagograft has to paid somehow.

In 1984 we bought a new car. My wife came up with a great idea for a personalized plate, combining my profession (lawyer) and passion (pilot). The car and the plate are long gone, but the name seems to have stuck.

:cheerswine:
I finally got what your screen name is. Up until this post of yours I would see it and I would pronounce it in my head as Pill-a-wit

It's $120 a year for vanity plates in Illinois now. I'm not getting one beyond my two.

You know you live in a friendly state when the Secretary of State lines the offices with signs saying "DO NOT ABUSE OUR STAFF" and that the fees are set by state law and he gets re-elected.

Hey, all that Blagograft has to paid somehow.
In December I had to renew my license. Went into the SoS office ready for the typical motor vehicle nonsense. I waited in line 5 minutes, got to the counter had a few laughs with the state worker as input my data for a license renewal and a state id. Told me the price I paid her. Waited 3 minutes to take my picture and then another 4 before they handed me the two new items. All told I was there for far less than 30 minutes, on a Wednesday afternoon. It was amazing.

FYI in case you need to renew anything Mike, that was the Woodstock office on Rt 47.

Mine says 1FLYGUY with an "I Rather Be Flying" frame around it. Unfortunately, the State of NC passed a law that we can't cover any part of our license plate....sucks.

Mine says 1FLYGUY with an "I Rather Be Flying" frame around it. Unfortunately, the State of NC passed a law that we can't cover any part of our license plate....sucks.

I guess some of Jersey's old law-making types made down there...scratch that off the "move to?" list:rolleyes2:

SHRFLYZ

As you can see this is my login name as well. It originally was due to the fact that my 2006 Charger Daytona is a muscle car (ie. ... it sure flys...). But since becoming a pilot, it also reflects what I get to do.

I have this:
4509237v1_225x225_Front.jpg

Ok, not Aviation related but.... my Harley plate on my RoadKing Classic "BADNUF". I sold the bike to my brother and he was afraid he'd get a beat down, so he went back to a standard old plate! ha ha

Worked for me!

In December I had to renew my license. Went into the SoS office ready for the typical motor vehicle nonsense. I waited in line 5 minutes, got to the counter had a few laughs with the state worker as input my data for a license renewal and a state id. Told me the price I paid her. Waited 3 minutes to take my picture and then another 4 before they handed me the two new items. All told I was there for far less than 30 minutes, on a Wednesday afternoon. It was amazing.

FYI in case you need to renew anything Mike, that was the Woodstock office on Rt 47.

It must be Wednesdays. When I closed on the house I drove at like 4-5 PM to the notorious Elston facility to renew my DL and have it show the new address. In that case forms, pictures and new DL took about 20 minutes.

Why did I do that that day? I had just bought the van (and parked it at the airport) and was absolutely determined to NEVER register it in Chicago to deny Daley a single penny of fees.

The Libertyville office is usually not unpleasant, except on a Saturday. When the SoS was Edgar, I once had a nice trip through the downtown Chicago office in the Thompson Building. Not no more.

When a power outlet isn't available on a Saturday, take the power(Coleman) to the need.

HR

Attachments

• Truck & Boat with caption.jpg
    Truck & Boat with caption.jpg
    679.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Truck & boat without caption.jpg
    Truck & boat without caption.jpg
    715.8 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Yeah, I see the vanity plates at teh airport - I snicker...
I suspect a mix of big ego and inferiority complex...
If you want a vanity plate, fine, no skin off my nose.. But I will still snicker at you...

denny-o

This is as close as I'm going to get to vanity plates. I have this as the hitch cover on my F150. Some at Gaston's saw it; it was all silver then, with a plastic prop. The prop screw broke, and I lost the prop. Since then, I've repainted it, fabricated my own brass bushing so it will spin the new wood prop, and mounted it with the #1 cylinder facing upwards (thanks, Greg, for that tip!). The mason jar is for size perspective.

attachment.php

Attachments

• TroyHitchProp.jpg
    TroyHitchProp.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 238
This is as close as I'm going to get to vanity plates. I have this as the hitch cover on my F150. Some at Gaston's saw it; it was all silver then, with a plastic prop. The prop screw broke, and I lost the prop. Since then, I've repainted it, fabricated my own brass bushing so it will spin the new wood prop, and mounted it with the #1 cylinder facing upwards (thanks, Greg, for that tip!). The mason jar is for size perspective.

Very cool! My hitch has a plug in it that has the red "Remove Before Flight" emblazoned on it.

I used to have our "N" number on one license plate, and "WEFLY2" on our motorcycle license plate -- both in Iowa. Here in Texas, we haven't gotten 'round to such things yet.

I had a hello kitty sticker on my rear license plate when I still rode the CBR . . . does this count?

I haven't really wanted to "advertise" that I'm a pilot on my car - well maybe I'll change my mind if I ever get to the checkride.

Driving to work I came up on a red Corvette (in the left lane, doing AT LEAST 5 under, if not 10 as you would expect from a geezer in a 'vette) with a plate that read (and I am not making this up) "Top Gun".

Local Prius has RTRUDR, must be a CFI...

I have A AND P on a "Birthplace of Aviation" plate

A club member has "CECH6", Check 6, he was a Wild Weasal driver, RF-4.
Another has UF TOW on his truck, his glider is N16UF.
Others just have their N-number.
Another has "2NV", to envy, his glider is N2NV.
Another has "2BZFLYN", to busy flying.

Please help me select a new vanity plate from the following list (avail in MI). In no
particular order:

STUKMIC
ARPTBUM
CAVU
NORDO
CHEKSIX
SQWKVFR
48ZULU
FLYSKIS
FLY H2O
09L 27R
AFT CG
XFR8DOG
SCUDRUN

Last edited:
I have Virginia NASM plates (with the SR-71 and they are old enough that they say Dulles Centerrather than the Udvar-Hazy Center as the current ones do). Mine has my ham radio callsign on them (which is also the n-number of a glider owned by someone in Indiana). My wife has the Navion N-number on hers.

Back when I was learning to fly in Colorado I had sequentially issued plates bearing
"HP 7700". I guess the DMV was trying to tell me something.

Back in June we were going out on boat that belonged to a United pilot to watch the Blue Angels. As I walked down into the marina I immediately spotted which one we were using as it had "Mist Approach" on the transom.

See my avatar. I bought it after my first deployment as a Combat Engineer, but it works for my current job as well, which is (barely) aviation related. :rofl:

Please help me select a new vanity plate from the following list (avail in MI). In no
particular order:

STUKMIC
ARPTBUM
CAVU
NORDO
CHEKSIX
SQWKVFR
48ZULU
FLYSKIS
FLY H2O
09L 27R
AFT CG
XFR8DOG
SCUDRUN
What kind of vehicle? Car, Van, SUV,etc?

Took this picture in Vegas on Monday...

Attachments

• ILS DME.jpg
    ILS DME.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 27
No vanity plate, but this is my rear window sticker

Attachments

• stick figure.jpg
    stick figure.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
Vanity plates as so old school 1900's. People are too busy texting to look at your brake lights let alone your plates. :eek:

Back