Find a hole in this squall line!

scottd

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
scottd

Last edited:
That here eMKay is one smart cookie. That's my answer, too.

That's the storm line that woke me up and kept me up, when Valentine the Wonder Rat Dog freaked out from the thunder.

Hopefully a gap opens up as it approaches 4A7.

my thought too, but maybe not:

346axw9.jpg

There's bound to be a saddle or two in there somewhere.

We may be experiencing some rough air, the captain has illuminated the 'hold on to your hats sign'.

:hairraise:.

Some days, getting from A to B just won't happen. If I saw that as being directly between my A and B, I'd probably be waiting a few hours on the ground.

If I was on the fringes, I'd probably just change course a bit. That's where XM is handy.

climb to FL470 and find a hole? just a thought...

That stuff went right over my house last night. It sure woke me up! :hairraise:

Hahaha I sent an image exactly like that to my CFI last night and said it might be hard to get around that one!

Don't know if it was the same storm, but we had some thunder & lightning here lastnight. I was able to count at most 1.5 seconds between the flash and the boom.

Stolen for my facebook status.

Careful, I may or may not have a patent on this sentence.

(I need to read first, comprhend second and post third. Sorry for the flub.)

Last edited:
We missed the hail here south of ATL. Had some stiff winds, though - I could hear the walls of the bedroom creaking. Luckily it blew through fast enough that the ground didn't have time to get soggy while the wind was still blowing.

Lots of rolling, window-rattling thunder, though. We had one big pop that woke me from a deep sleep - I think I was about 6' above the bed when I actually woke up. Scared the bejeezus out of me. First time that has happened in a long time.

I dont think we are 'facebook friends', I suspect we both got it from the same third party source.

I don't believe he wasn't saying you stole it FROM his Facebook status; I think he was telling you it was funny enough he stole it FOR his Facebook status.

I don't believe he wasn't saying you stole it FROM his Facebook status; I think he was telling you it was funny enough he stole it FOR his Facebook status.

Lol, doh!

What makes this even more embarassing is that I quoted him correctly...Sorry.

Now back to figuring out the to/from flags ;)

My customer was flying in commercial from Tucson yesterday and the captain "tried" to find a hole. After much diversion they ended up in Nashville for the night. Guess even the big boys can't fly high enough to penetrate that line.

Is there really a FL800, or would that be 80,000FT MSL at that point?

Night time, got to the strip club, daytime, fly underneath it.

Agree with the night logic, but daytime? Wouldn't that be like walking in front of a firehose???

That depends on the situation. In some cases, you can safely fly under thunderstorms. However it's by no means a sure thing.

You'd be surprised how little water you might find under that storm, too...

You'd be surprised how little water you might find under that storm, too...

That may be true, but one thing DAL 191 taught me was don't get complacent around T-storm activity. I'd rather sit on the ground, crack open a beer and let it pass.

Just head south out over the gulf.

Last year I was on board of a Delta MD90 going from MSP to DCA with a similar radar signature stretching right accross the typical route. I expected a bumpy ride, but somehow it was all calm and smooth, at some point I looked out the window and wondered 'gee, that looks like Toronto island airport down there':confused:. I logged into flightaware after I got home and indeed they had made a big 100nm dogleg accross Canada to avoid the nastiness.

Agree with the night logic, but daytime? Wouldn't that be like walking in front of a firehose???

Nope, you just dodge around where the cells are dumping. That's the advantage to going underneath, you can see what's going on in the clouds. It's not like you pick one line and go, you kinda zig zag your way through watching the bases and looking at the color of the clouds. Sometimes it requires paralleling the line 50 or 100 miles to find your way, but without radar, I'm not punching my way into it blind.

I slept through it here. This morning there were trees down here and there and lots of areas without power - but not where I live. Guess we got off lightly.

Dave

That may be true, but one thing DAL 191 taught me was don't get complacent around T-storm activity. I'd rather sit on the ground, crack open a beer and let it pass.

Complacent is the Mooney I lectured on behalf of ATC who wanted to fly into a squall line at an altitude which would've put him right in the storm.

Dodging thunderstorms or otherwise dealing with them to get around/through a line isn't being complacent if you know what you're doing and are careful about it.

Nope, you just dodge around where the cells are dumping. That's the advantage to going underneath, you can see what's going on in the clouds. It's not like you pick one line and go, you kinda zig zag your way through watching the bases and looking at the color of the clouds. Sometimes it requires paralleling the line 50 or 100 miles to find your way, but without radar, I'm not punching my way into it blind.

You can dodge the cells in general visually so long as you maintain VMC. The embedded storm bit can be the interesting one. Without real radar (not XM), it's not a particularly good idea.

Many and many are the storm systems which you can fly through if (as Henning and Ted reference) you have sufficient room beneath the clouds to see and avoid any rainshafts. Ironically, the air there is quite often smooth.

But you have to be solid visual.

Found a hole in the line early in the morning then rode out 70 mph winds
on the ground. Had the 25,000 lb airplane triple chocked, brakes on and it still managed to move about a foot. Rough as a cob all day. Paybacks for all those nice days I guess.
Dave

Many and many are the storm systems which you can fly through if (as Henning and Ted reference) you have sufficient room beneath the clouds to see and avoid any rainshafts. Ironically, the air there is quite often smooth.

But you have to be solid visual.

Yep. Frequently you have thunderstorms that have cloud bases several thousand feet above ground level. Really pretty easy to run through.

The worst turbulence I've ever dealt with has been in winter, not in summer, including fly around thunderstorms.

That was an easy one.... Next :)

Attachments

• NEXRAD-Line.gif
    NEXRAD-Line.gif
    93.4 KB · Views: 23
There were 6, that's right six, people killed on the GROUND by this storm. Including a 21 old vet crushed in his car by a tree. I have flown under weather plenty of times, but don't go implying to people they can get through a squall line by flying low. I know those words weren't used, but newer pilots on this forum may not know the difference between dodging isolated cells and the conditions pointed out by the OP.

Back