An airshow pilot's worst nightmare. Pray for the Franklins...

Ryan, this is so sad. :( :( :( Tom and I are just sick about it. Kyle and Amanda and their families are in our thoughts and prayers.

got this from a contact in the airshow circuit

it's an update from Matt Younkin, Amanda's brother:

Good morning all. Let me first express on behalf of Amanda, Kyle, Myself and both of our families so many thanks for all of your prayers and well wishes. We are all so fortunate to have such a wonderful support network in all of you.

We are still waiting for updates and it could be many hours, days, or weeks before we know exactly how the recovery process will play out between Amanda and Kyle. I can however report that Kyle was not injured and or burned as badly as reported earlier by the media and is expected to make a full and rapid recovery. I can also say that the updates we are receiving on Amanda are increasingly optimistic and though she has a long road of recovery ahead of her, the doctors are giving us the impression that things are not as bad as first reported and her chances for a full recovery are getting better not worse. The first 24 hours will set the tone for the story ahead.

I also have to extend a very sincere thanks to my brother-in-law Kyle who I strongly credit for the fact that my little sister is still with us. Having witnessed the accident and being on of the first on the scene, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that he made no less than five quick decisions in the air and on the ground that gave her a second chance at life!!

When the engine quit, Amanda was on the top wing in the rack. Kyle continued to fly the airplane in a straight and level fashion as long as he could to give Amanda every opportunity to unstrap and get into the front cockpit where she would have the best chance in the event of a hard landing. He also resisted the tendency to turn for the pavement which typically induces a fatal stall/spin situation. He avoided a landing in the pyro field which could have proven to be fatal, and faced with the only other option of land in mesquite woods, Kyle landed into the wind drastically reducing the forward speed at impact. Upon reaching the scene, I noticed that he set the airplane down in the only Waco sized piece of ground in that dense woods that didn't have tall trees in it. Kyle sustained the majority of his burns trying to pull his wife from the wreckage and when his efforts produced no results, he stayed in the cockpit and transmitted a repeating distress call about the post impact fire that had started. I honestly believe this motivated the rapid responders to press through the brush and douse the airplane at a more rapid rate which meant the split second difference that saved Amanda, who was still in the plane.

The first responders on the scene did an excellent job of responding to the situation in a rapid manner. Having a professional air boss teamed up with professional CFR personnel made a world of difference that could be the single most important factor that both Amanda and Kyle are still with us.

Please continue to send your thoughts and prayers this direction because we sincerely believe they are helping. I will pass updates along as I receive them.

Sincerely
Matt

Prayers for quick recovery for both. I think they're on the program for Great State of Maine Airshow(Brunswick Landing - former NAS Brunswick) in August. They've been up here for other airshows.

HR

An Associated Press report dated 2:01 pm today (less than two hours ago) says they were both airlifted to Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, which is renowned for its burn unit.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/7470464.html

my understanding is they were airlifted directly from Brownsville, site of the airshow, directly to Brooke in San Antonio Saturday evening from where Matt posted his update this morning

So sad to hear about this, and my thoughts are with them. BZ to Kyle for his decisions and his gumption. I hope that if I'm ever faced with a horrible situation I remain as functional and focused.

BTW, I don't think this is really an airshow pilot's worst nightmare. I think that term would be reserved for crashing into the crowd, like the Frecce Tricolori did at Ramstein in 1988 -- 67 spectators dead, and 348 seriously injured.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH5uvog4rS4
Yeah, you're probably right, but a low-level engine failure, with a choice of the pyro field or trees, and your wife on the wing, has got to be right up there.

Ryan

Yeah, you're probably right, but a low-level engine failure, with a choice of the pyro field or trees, and your wife on the wing, has got to be right up there.

Ryan

Based on the video, it also looks like she got into the cockpit with about .003 seconds to spare.

Wow, this isn't video I like to open POA to see, but I'm glad to hear the prognosis / report from Matt is more optimistic than the video would lead one to believe. They and their families are all in my thoughts...

I hope they both make full recoveries. Their families have seen more than sufficient tragedy.

I hope they both make full recoveries. Their families have seen more than sufficient tragedy.

Amen. That they survived at all is a step in the right direction, and being close to a top notch burn unit is definitely going to help.

Allegedly, she DID manage to get the seatbelt on!

Ryan

Kyle had exactly 6 seconds from engine out to impact. He had just completed snaps on the downline which is an energy killing sequence. He was climbing out building up energy when it quit on him. In that situation with his energy down he had to do a balancing act with 1g stall to give Amanda the time she needed to get into the pit. He managed to hold it right on the edge of his CL to do this. I make it a remarkable piece of flying that he accomplished this while avoiding stall.
ICAS and John Cudahy have set up a fund for Amanda. She's going to need some time and medical effort during her recovery. The community has responded with tremendous love and affection for both of them and folks are trying to help in any way possible.
Dudley Henriques

another update from Matt

Amanda's out of surgery and everything went perfect!!! They were able to remove the majority of her burned tissue and have even started grafting procedures. This surgery was performed several days earlier than normal due to Amanda's youth and excellent physical health. She is a real fighter and is progressing ahead of schedule. We were told that this was likely the most risky and most extensive surgery she will experience so from an operating side, it is all down hill from here! Her next surgery is scheduled for late next week at this point. Kyle is recovering well and is scheduled for skin grafting surgery on Friday. As I stated before, please consider no news good news so we will likely not post again unless something changes for the next several days. Thank you all again for the support and prayers.

Matt posting for Kyle

Steve,

That is GREAT news. It sounds like they are both on the road to recovery.

An interview with Kyle was on the Today Show this morning. You can watch that video clip here:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/42190777#42190777

It really brought tears to our eyes, watching that video clip.

Kyle and Amanda are in our thoughts and prayers.

Here is additional information that was posted on Facebook and the CaringBridge site:

"If you would like to help Amanda please donate at ether of the fallowing two fund sites www.moonlightfund.org “Franklin Fund” (tax deductible) or www.icasfoundation.org “The Kyle and Amanda Fund” (non tax deductible)

Thank you for all your support, prayers and God bless you all."

Last edited:
Update on Kyle and Amanda

Yesterday, Kyle's hometown folks, friends, and fliers had a local fundraiser for Amanda at the Neosho, MO airport (KEOS). There were display aircraft, airplane rides for donations, various vendors (food and otherwise), a pancake breakfast, silent auction, live band, dunk tank, bounce house, etc. Over $20,000 was raised yesterday.

We were going to fly down, but it was cold and windy, so we drove instead. One of the things we were planning to do was help our friend with his hot air balloon tether rides, but it was too windy for a hot air balloon.

It was good for Kyle to be back home at his local airport and for him to be with his friends and see so many people show their support. He was also able to take his Cub up for a flight. Kyle is presently heading back south to be with Amanda in San Antonio. His love for his wife, and his dedication to her and her recovery is hard to describe...it brings tears to my eyes just trying.

His latest update from his Facebook page from late last night:

Amanda had a really good day. All her vitals are looking good. Her blood sugar is staying down which is great, means she doesn't have an infection. She is still on the CRRT machine but her kidneys are working much better. It was an all around great report from her nurse this evening. As long as the EpiCels take I feel this will be the big step I was looking for. A great report for a great day.

The Neosho fundraiser was a blast today. It was great seeing everyone and I feel I made some new friends. I want to say thank you to all the vendors, sponsors, volunteers, pilots, and everyone who came out to support Amanda and I. A special thanks to Olivia, Richard and everyone who helped make this event happen, and of course a very big thank you to everyone who came out and donated. This event alone raised over 20,000 dollars for Amanda, even with the cold weather.

I find it fitting that Amanda and I probably both had the best day of the last two months today.

Thank you all, goodnight & God bless,

Kyle

Here is a picture of Tom, me and Kyle from yesterday at the Neosho airport. Tom finished Kyle's prep for his private pilot check ride. Kyle already flew VERY well before he flew up to our farm to work with Tom and he mostly needed to fulfill some of the requirements to get ready for his check ride. Kyle looked good yesterday, and it was great to see him smile.

Attachments

• Kyle at the fundraiser (1542 x 1018).jpg
    Kyle at the fundraiser (1542 x 1018).jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 93
Awesome post, Diana - thank you so much for sharing that! :)

Thanks for the update... and kudos to all for the big haul at the fundraiser!

Awesome post, Diana - thank you so much for sharing that! :)

Thanks for the update... and kudos to all for the big haul at the fundraiser!

Good news all around!
:) Kyle posts updates most every night on their Facebook page and on a Caring Bridge site. For those who don't read those, I'd be glad to pass along updates from time to time if anyone is interested. Hopefully, Amanda is over the hump now. They still have huge medical bills, and a long recovery and rehab are still ahead for her. There are various sites for donations for those able to help out in that regard.

Fantastic update! I had no idea you and Tom had such a close connection to Kyle's flying history!!

The Franklins

Fantastic update! I had no idea you and Tom had such a close connection to Kyle's flying history!!
Troy, their families live near here. Kyle has lived near Neosho for years, and the Younkins are from northwest Arkansas. I was in the EAA chapter with Amanda's grandfather. I was also fortunate enough to take an aerobatic lesson at Siloam Springs, AR, with Amanda's father, Bobby Younkin.

Really bad news today :(

https://www.facebook.com/franklins....-circus/amanda-5-26-11-day-75/204643402910539

Amanda had a really hard day. During dressing change this morning she started bleeding really bad and they had a hard time stoping it. Her body has gotten to the point that if you touch her or even look at her wrong she starts bleeding and her blood is not coagulating. Her wounds today looked more infected then the last three days and the antibiotics don't seem to be doing much. Her kidneys have almost completely shut down, her liver is starting to fail and she looks like she was still in a lot of pain. The doctors believe she wouldn't make it another two weeks in time for the EpiCels much less the procedure and I have to agree after seeing her wounds. So, I made the hardest decision of my life today and put her on Comfort Care. They have taken her off most everything with the exception of the ventilator, sedation meds and pain meds. They placed her in a more comfortable position and are doing everything to make her as comfortable as possible.

I believe at this point this is what she would want me to do. I also believe if she did pull through at this point she would kill me for it, a month ago I would have said otherwise. This is a decision I never in my life would have thought I would have to make nor ever wanted too. But, I don't want her to go through another four weeks of hell when we know it will do no good. We do not have a time table on things, most likely a day or two. I will continue to keep you all updated.

Know that she is not alone her mom, brother and his wife, my mother, myself and all of you in spirit are here with her. I feel Amanda will be very happy to see her dad, my dad and of corse Jackson again. But the hardest thing is she's leaving us all behind, till another day.

Amanda my love, I love you with all my heart, soul and everything I am. Our life together here was supposed to be seventy years not seven, but I look forward to seeing you in my dreams every night my love.

Thank you all for your love, support and help through all this.

Goodnight and God bless,

Kyle

I'm so sad for them. That family has been through hell on Earth, for more than one generation, and all centered around their love of airshows and accidents therein.

Back