Hell of a drop off

With a thread title like this I thought this was going to be about the how the CEO of Segway drove his Segway off of a cliff this past weekend and died.

Bummer, glad to hear everyone's OK. Though it's a bit of stretch to compare something over 3700' long and 100' wide to a "carrier landing." At Mathis in Atlanta the locals there call that a carrier landing too at 1800x35 with drop-offs at both ends. Getting a Pitts in/out of there was a challenge but even that's a long way from a carrier landing.

That's too bad. I know a lady who also ran off the end of that runway.

Dean, do you have any more details?

shoot, he probably almost had enough airspeed built back up to do a go around!

I thought you were "joking". Apparently not!

I always wondered when those things would become sentient and start running people off bridges and in front of traffic. Now we know...

But seriously, isn't getting run off into the river on a Segway a lot like getting stuck on an escalator? Just step off before something bad happens...

KPLK does seem to be carved out of the top of a hill with steep drop-offs on both ends. This is an approach to runway 11 on a good weather day:

101_0255.jpg

The runway drop-offs do get your attention in the pattern, but I like going there because it's near Branson and all the fun stuff there is to do there. :( about the accident, but happy that everyone survived it.

With a thread title like this I thought this was going to be about the how the CEO of Segway drove his Segway off of a cliff this past weekend and died.

So did I. That's not going to do much for Segway sales.

Been there in 2002 and lived to tell about it. I was a lot lower in hours then (200) and nervous from the tales I had heard. Deliberately landed a little long. No problem!

Was a good airport to visit back then, but we've never been back.

Off the end of a +3700-foot runway in a 172? Well, at least a good lesson was learned, with only an airplane as payment. :rolleyes2:
Probably for the best that there's a dropoff; at many airports, there's stuff to hit right near the end of the runway.

Standard at a lot of airports.. Catilina is famous for this maneuver.. or blown tires from people trying to stop and blocking the runway.

I know that plane...it is (was) based at HRO. Joyce knows that plane too!

Hi all...short time lurker here, first time post.

That plane normally lives directly next to my C150 in the t-hangars at HRO. Wow! I don't know the owners very well, having just seen them here and there and met them once, but I'm certainly glad that they are okay.

And...PLK is where I have been doing my PP training since starting in July, so I'm very aware of the length and dropoffs! :eek:

At the end of runway 16 here at home you are looking down into a canyon and up at a steel railroad bridge :hairraise:

At least we have 2900 feet.

Last edited:
KPLK does seem to be carved out of the top of a hill with steep drop-offs on both ends. This is an approach to runway 11 on a good weather day:

101_0255.jpg

The runway drop-offs do get your attention in the pattern, but I like going there because it's near Branson and all the fun stuff there is to do there. :( about the accident, but happy that everyone survived it.
I thought I recognized the airport (and the picture). That was on the Poker Run last year, and you posted the picture before too! http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showpost.php?p=592057&postcount=104

Been there, done that. It's up on a plateau but the interesting thing about it is the really cool looking high terrain that's all around it to the west. It's a beautiful place that my wife and I spent a few days hiking though on our way around the southwest. It's plenty long and wide though and I don't remember anything particularly challenging about landing there.

I'm really late to this thread, but yes I know the plane and the pilot. Laura was my co-pilot in the air race this year. I didn't hear about her accident for a couple of days after the fact, but since then she's told me that it seems like the brakes failed. She was actually doing some work with an instructor. They were both a bit banged up but nothing serious thank God. She's pretty sure that the insurance company will total it. I hope she can get back in the air soon!

Joyce

Back