To Rudy's Forum Friends

jbelew

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jim B.
Rudy, as a shy young man, may not post this latest about the Time magazine.
Our Local Newspaper picked up on the Time Article and contacted me for a story. Rudy agreed and the results may be seen online. Needless to say Grandpa is poping off his buttons and super proud of Rudy

You may have to search the archives for Nov 7th, name of story is
Quality Time together

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Grandfather, grandson featured in this week's issue of Time

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]By NIKKI PATRICK [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]Morning Sun Lifestyle Editor [/FONT]
[/FONT]

Use username jbelew and password 1703909
http://www.morningsun.net/

Seems all I do recently is brag about my Grandsons :yes: :cheerswine:

jbelew said:

Rumor has it that grandchildren are your reward for not killing your own kids when they were teenagers. Only a rumor, we're still waiting for a first grandchild. :D

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]It took me quite a few minutes to find it, So if you don't mind here is the article and picture. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
Quality Time together
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Grandfather, grandson featured in this week's issue of Time [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana] By NIKKI PATRICK [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana] Morning Sun Lifestyle Editor

TimeflightLR.jpg

[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana] Pittsburg subscribers to Time magazine who look at the Nov. 7 issue may be surprised to see a couple of familiar faces in the "Generations" supplement.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]Local businessman Jim Belew, 71, and his grandson, Rudy Belew, 19, are included in a story by Francine Russo titled "Take Them Flying," about grandparents and grandchildren who fly together.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"This is not in the issues that you buy at the newsstand, only in the ones that come through the mail," said the elder Belew.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]His grandson, son of Kris and Teresa Belew, said he saw a notice on the Internet that Time was looking for grandfathers and grandsons who fly together.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"I sent them an e-mail about us, and they asked me to write it all out," Rudy Belew said. "Then they called each of us and did about 30-minute interviews."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"They also sent a photographer here," his grandfather said. "They must have taken about 600 photos, and published one."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"I've been flying for 45 years, but for my two sons, my flying was just a way for me to get them from point A to point B," Jim Belew said. "But when Rudy was 17 he told his father that he wanted to fly, and if Grandpa wouldn't teach him, he'd go to somebody else."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]Fortunately, Belew has also been a licensed flight instructor for 40 years, so he could legally give his grandson flying lessons.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"I started Rudy in one plane, but it wasn't a good plane to teach in - it was too big and complex," Belew said. "When I saw that he was really serious about flying, I bought a Piper Cherokee to teach him in. Rudy did have to take his last four hours with another instructor, so he finished with Tom Richards."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]Then the young man had to go through testing from a flight examiner - which also turned out to be his grandfather.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"I didn't play favorites, either," Belew said. "I was mean to him."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]Rudy Belew is the first of five grandsons to earn his pilot's license, but his identical twin brother, Bret Belew, is coming along well.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"Bret can fly solo across country now, but he still can't haul passengers," his grandfather said.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]Of the other grandsons, Robin Belew has had a few lessons, but Brandon Belew hasn't had any yet. Judd Belew, 10, brother of Rudy, loves flying.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"He's after me to take him flying all the time," Rudy Belew said.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"I eventually hope to teach all my grandsons to fly," his grandfather said. "It looks good on your resume when you can say that you've got a pilot's license, even if you're not applying for a job that has anything to do with flying."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]Rudy Belew does hope for a career in flying, but he's also majoring in business marketing at Pittsburg State University.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"I tell Rudy that education comes first," his grandfather said. "In most of the places that do hiring, including most airlines, they don't even want to talk to you if you don't have a college degree."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]For now, the grandson gets flying experience by piloting his grandfather.
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"He also does what we call chasing the $100 hamburger," Jim Belew said. "He'll fly his girlfriend to Shangri-La. The hamburgers are maybe $2, but the flight costs $200."
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, Verdana]"Right now I'm just flying for fun," the younger man said. "I may make a career of it, but flying will be fun forever[/FONT]

Mr. Belew,

Congratulations on having such a fine grandson. He's pretty lucky to have you for a granddad, too.

Jim
(that's my grandson with me, too)

jbelew said:

As well you should! Rudy's a great guy. And a lucky one too to have a grandfather like you. :yes:

Back