Flying jets in Flight Sim

What do you fly in your PC Flight Sim (any brand)?

• Total voters

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Last edited:
Did I really put Helicopters in the poll twice? (sigh) Wish we had an "edit poll" button.

I don't fiddle with flight sim unless someone else has it. Part of the problem is I've never been able to take computer games seriously, so I do stupid things like single engine aerobatics in IMC in a King Air.

Speaking of which, you completely left out turboprops, which are my favorite class of aircraft to mess around with.

I prefer to fly the Cirrus SJ50 Vision jet in X-Plane on my iPhone. :yes: :D You don't have an option for "VLJ on a VLD!" ;) :rofl:

For me it depends on what I'm after. I used FSX to help in my training for PP. I would pre-fly my cross country trips to see what it was like. I expect to use it to work on instrument stuff if and when I decide to get an IR. For that I use the 172 mostly.

For just fun I belong to www.flyafa.com a virtual airline. They have routes that you can fly. On the weekends I'll usually try and fly a round trip. Depending on the route I fly the Dash-8, CRJ or 737.

On occassion I will also fly using Squawkbox and the Vatsim network. It adds a bit more realism to the experience.

I have ASA On Top and MSFS. I actually use On Top to practice approaches. Flying a fast airplane on the sim does improve my scan, and scan is EVERYTHING.

Ask me again in a few weeks, and I'll tell you if it helps in a real sim.

I fly lots of add-on jets.especially where FMS/FMC are invlolved..agree with the previous poster about the scan...and it all paid off the first time I flew glass for real...I felt right at home very quickly

I fly Boeings using MFS and addons by PMDG and Project Magenta to give better FMS simulation. I also have a kickin' Cheyenne II sim with round dials that I use for instrument proficiency work - the higher speeds really help keep the scan sharp. If I'm going to an unfamiliar airport I will always practice the approaches in the sim beforehand.

I also use the standalone Garmin G1000 simulator to stay proficient - it's a lot cheaper than renting a new airplane!

No, more like getting dragged along, but I'm not complaining. This is one gorgeous airplane.

Oh you POOR POOR thing. Are they forcing you to get the Falcon type!? I would tell them to go pound sand and leave me alone! :skeptical::D

Almost all the flight sim flying I do is to help myself stay in the IFR world when I'm not flying much. For this I always use a turbo'd Bonanza.

Many years ago I used to fly a ton of virtual airline stuff using a 737--and I loved doing insane stupid short stuff with it. So I'm still pretty decent at this--but don't really practice. This is a video I made screwing around earlier this year. 1st attempt at a BBJ 737 landing @ Gastons.

Last edited:
Hmmm anyone else find it a bit fishy that the percentages in this "Poll" add up to 190% ?????

Tim, where did you get your G1000 simulator?
From Garmin. It's NOT a visual flight sim, but it does do all the G1000/GFC700 features well. They make them for specific airframe combos - I've got the Cessa and Diamond versions.
About 16 or 20 bucks each.

Well if I want to just fly, I'll rent a real plane. In flight sim I do things too outrageous/illegal to try in real life. My favorite is landing a super cub or an autogyro on building tops in cities.

I also use x-plane to build planes and see how well they fly. A cessna 140 with a turboprop and blown flaps is pretty damn fun!

attachment.php
I play with a simulator pretty much for the fun of it:

http://www.condor-club.eu/graduate/0/?id=2102

Don't do much hard IMC - there isn't much to see from inside a cloud.

Attachments

• Shot15.jpg
    Shot15.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Just FYI - Google Earth has a Flight Simulator mode. Just this afternoon I dusted off the old joystick and gave it a try. You have your choice of a Cirrus or a F-16. I find it interesting to buzz around familiar places. However, the FS is rather rudimentary, and leaves a lot to be desired. OTOH, the price is right (as in FREE). Give it a try!

Dave

Back