20 minutes to go....

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
So in 20 minutes I get to find out just how badly I'm about to be embarrassed publicly in New Mexico...

I threw my name into the challenge for the Central New Mexico Community College Governing Board, District 3 race back in late November/early December, and since then, I've been out campaigning like a madman. I talked to approximately 30,000 people in my district in that timeframe, either by phone or in person, and it was a lot of grassroots work.

I tried to keep it quiet through here for the most part (except for chat, because, well, I'm a big mouth in chat) because I didn't want to see any influence coming from the board either positively or negatively since that is not what this board is for, IMHO.

But now, 20 minutes from the closing of the polls, I am here to share my absolute nervousness with y'all. I am running against 2 very strong competitors, both of which will do an excellent job if I do not win, so regardless of how people decide, the next 4 years will be strong for Bernalillo/Sandoval county.

The official election results will be shown here: http://www.bernco.gov//upload/images/clerk/CNM_09/output.htm as they come in, so at least I'll have something to watch.

Its my first election. Yikes.

I hope this isn't spinzone fodder, its a non-partisan race, so there's no real party arguments here, and I avoided giving my talking points/elevator speech. If I'm wrong, my apologizes.

Wish me luck. :fcross:

Good luck, Nick! I work for a community college here in IL, so PM me if you have any questions about what it's like on the "inside" from staff perspective.

And let's not start a discussion about corporal punishment!:nono::rofl:

Well, you do have the advantage of being listed first on the ballot, so you've got that going for you.

Good for you, Nick. I did not know about this. Good luck. :drink:

P.S. You have paid your taxes, right? :D

And the results are starting to display....I'm not looking so good right now. 84 votes against 112 against 217. Still early though.

Good luck, Nick! I work for a community college here in IL, so PM me if you have any questions about what it's like on the "inside" from staff perspective.

And let's not start a discussion about corporal punishment!:nono::rofl:

LOL, well, if I win I'll take you up on that :D

Good luck, Nick. And remember, Lincoln got beat a LOT! If you can manage to get folks to vote for you, that's an accomplishment whether you win or not.

I wish I had known. I could've organized the Chicago vote, where the dead come back to life and other favorite things.

thats only absentee and early votes though.

Good luck, Nick! Are either of your opponents the incumbent, or are all of you new candidates for the position? Deborah seems to be pulling a pretty good lead right now.

Good luck, Nick! Are either of your opponents the incumbent, or are all of you new candidates for the position? Deborah seems to be pulling a pretty good lead right now.
Jeff Armijo is the incument, but some criminal issues may hurt him tonight. debbi moore is very well known in sandoval county

Remember these words: "I demand a recount" :rofl:

Seriously... good luck, Nick!

Ouch. 3 precincts reporting, and I got 4 votes. Not 4%, 4 votes. 12 precincts to go!

LOL, this is shaping to be quite embarrassing?

Just saw what appear to be final results, and I'm calling the race for Deborah. But I'm proud of you for being willing to serve! And by no means did you embarrass yourself.

Of course, they'll be like "Jeez, how did THAT race's results page get so many hits? Maybe this guy can make a difference! Let's appoint him Secretary of xxx."

Nick, good on ya for caring enough to try. And you should always remember - You did better than John Ashcroft! (I mean, seriously - How embarrassing must it be to lose to a dead guy?)

Last edited:
Always easier to hunker down than stick your neck out for everyone to shoot at. You dah man.

Just saw what appear to be final results, and I'm calling the race for Deborah. But I'm proud of you for being willing to serve! And by no means did you embarrass yourself.

Getting 15% of the vote in your first race is nothing to be ashamed of. Congratulations!

+1. Congratulations, Nick, for taking the time to run and being willing to serve.

Thanks guys. I'm slightly embarrassed, since I really got out and talked to a lot of people, but I look at it this way:

They say being #1 on a ballot gives you a 5% vote. So any votes above 5% are votes gained, and any votes less than 5% are votes lost. So I'll take a 10% gain in votes to be a sign that I conviced at least SOME people vote for me.

If nothing else, a lot of stress is gone today. Thanks again for the kind words everyone.

Nick,

don't be embarrassed at all.

It's rare for a person to win the first time out, especially if they're running against well-known competitors. (It's the same in government contracting, too, I had a local govt contracting officer tell me one time "you won't win the first time you bid, but as your name gets known, we'll look more favorably for you on contracts...").

Keep at it, and keep your name out there.

Nick: Congratulations. Being willing to be a part of the process and having the perspective required to be willing to get involved -- let alone doing all it takes to get on a ballot -- is something to be proud of in itself.

Keep at it, and better luck next time.

Nick: Congratulations. Being willing to be a part of the process and having the perspective required to be willing to get involved -- let alone doing all it takes to get on a ballot -- is something to be proud of in itself.

Keep at it, and better luck next time.

Would you like to be my new Veep Candidate in 2020? We can truly cross party boundaries!

Would you like to be my new Veep Candidate in 2020? We can truly cross party boundaries!

Bull****! You can be mine.

topgun2.jpg

Nick,

I'd bet there's a lot of age discrimination on the part of voters. "Hey, this guy doesn't have white hair, he must not know anything." And voters vote the way they do for many even sillier reasons... I'm very impressed that you got 15% on your first crack. Keep at it. :yes:

Nick,

I'd bet there's a lot of age discrimination on the part of voters. "Hey, this guy doesn't have white hair, he must not know anything." And voters vote the way they do for many even sillier reasons... I'm very impressed that you got 15% on your first crack. Keep at it. :yes:
And next time, wear a powdered wig when campaigning! :)

I got a nice letter from the Mayor of Albuquerque today:

Mr. Nick D. Brennan
District 3
6300 Vista Montano St NW
Albuquerque, NM 87120

Dear Mr. Brennan,

Running for elected office is among the noblest endeavors one can undertake as a citizen within our Great Democracy.

Having both won and lost elections during my career, I understand how difficult it is to campaign for a post and not emerge victorious. By seeking elected office, you have served our entire community and elevated the discourse of the democratic process. I salute your passion for the higher education of people of all ages in our community. Thank you.

I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors and encourage you to contact me if I can be of service in the future. Feel free to contact me at martinchavez@cabq.gov.

Sincerely,
(SIGNATURE)
Martin J. Chavez
MJC/tvp

Mr. Nick D. Brennan
District 3
6300 Vista Montano St NW
Albuquerque, NM 87120

Dear Mr. Brennan,

Running for elected office is among the noblest endeavors one can undertake as a citizen within our Great Democracy.

Having both won and lost elections during my career, I understand how difficult it is to campaign for a post and not emerge victorious. By seeking elected office, you have served our entire community and elevated the discourse of the democratic process. I salute your passion for the higher education of people of all ages in our community. Thank you.

I wish you the best of luck in all your endeavors and encourage you to contact me if I can be of service in the future. Feel free to contact me at martinchavez@cabq.gov.

Sincerely,
(SIGNATURE)
Martin J. Chavez
MJC/tvp

Huzzha Huzzah well said Bravo Nick!!

Mr. Nick D. Brennan
District 3
6300 Vista Montano St NW
Albuquerque, NM 87120

Dear Mr. Brennan,

Sincerely,
(SIGNATURE)
Martin J. Chavez
MJC/tvp

Very nice. Better luck next time (and I hope there is a next time).

Wow! Great going. How distinguishing to be so acknowledge for your noble efforts.

Don't count yourself out just yet; maybe your opponents haven't paid their taxes.:redface:

Wow! Great going. How distinguishing to be so acknowledge for your noble efforts.

Don't count yourself out just yet; maybe your opponents haven't paid their taxes.:redface:
You seem to be confusing elected positions with appointed ones subject to confirmation. Heck, for an elected position you don't even need to be alive!

(And Nick, this is in NO way aimed at you! Bravo Zulu!)

Mr. Nick D. Brennan
District 3
6300 Vista Montano St NW
Albuquerque, NM 87120

Dear Mr. Brennan,

Sincerely,
(SIGNATURE)
Martin J. Chavez
MJC/tvp

That is very nice. Don't think he'll not have noticed you got 15% first time out. Send him a nice reply and hint (subtly, if possible) that you're eager to serve the city and will keep trying, or something to that effect. He may end up appointing you to something, and you'll be launched.

BTW, I am WAY behind at POA, but I thought you moved away from ABQ?

Judy

Back